New Farmer - Veg questions

• Thread starter silverhaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
silverhaze

silverhaze

Hello all,

I'm setting up a room that's 8'x9' and 8' high. In the room is a closet that I intend to use to veg. The closet is made of plywood, painted white and measures 4x8' but is only 22" deep. The closet will be well ventilated sharing the cooled air from the flower room. Question is lighting for the veg closet. There are lots of different opinions but I would like some advice on what kind of light to use for that space. It feels like a 400-600w MH with shield might be a bit too big, to hot? Could anyone recommend a great light set up for this small space? Should I look at a t5 and adjust the light as growth requires? Thank you all in advance and looking forward to getting started..

G

grnmountainboy

i would use t5's. you can get 4' 4 bulb fixtures for about 200 bucks. this should be plenty for a 4' closet. although you may want to check the width of the light; it might be wider than 22 inches.

P

Producer

I agree with GrnMountainBoy. But like he said, it would be a very very tight fit.
Take a look at this. Measurements are included in the specifications. This might just fit for you.

But ya I'm thinking the same thing, 400W - 600W is probably too hot for such a small space.

silverhaze

silverhaze

Thanks Producer. That link looked like it would just fit. Off to measure the space. Thanks so much...

silverhaze

silverhaze

Next Question re: t5's

Given my space constraints it looks like the T5's are the right product. Question is, should I set them up on a small pulley system and keep them just a few inches above the plants or leave the light fixed in one place. I've heard both.

Then, do I need a separate CO2 system to feed that closet? I will have one in the flower room and the closet will share that air but will it be enough?

Thanks again,
Silverhaze

J

johndeere

Pulleys would be a great idea, and the closet will use the co2 from the room provided you have air exchange with the main room. Considering your space restrictions I would look at the bonsai method of keeping mothers. I keep mine in soda bottles and while thats a bit extreme, I learned to work around my limitations. Good Luck

P

Producer

Hey Silverhaze! Glad the T5`s will work out for you!
And I would deffenitly hang them with pullies! So much easier.
Dont forget, Fluorescents dont penetrate your plants canopy as much as HID lights.
So you`ll want to have that light as close to the top of your plant as you can. That way your bottom leaves get lots of light as well.
Fluoresecent only penetrate about 30inches.

As for your Co2 question I thought the closet was for vegging?
You dont need Co2 for vegging plants. Its mostly used for flowering bro.

And as for Johndeere's comment he's also right. The bonsai method for keeping your mothers would be an excellent idea. If you're not familiar with the method here's another link.

Keep it up bro!
Keep those posts coming. If you got more questions feel free to PM me or post them on here. I'll keep checking in.

J

JonathonStrange

I am using in a similar size area (for veg and flower) and am running a 250hps with a bat wing reflector with supplimental cfls. My ventilation stinks so I have heat issues. regaurdless in hind sight I would have gone with the t5's or spent the money on an air cooled hood. If you don't think your getting enough penitration you can go to like a home depot and get a socket and some 100 or 150w cfls and hang them down below your canopy level as the plants grow or clip them to your hood for extra light without much more heat. just becareful they don't touch the leafs cause it will burn them. You can also get hoods for the socket so you can direct the light as they are growing. Hope this helps and good luck.

jkar_928

jkar_928

running co2 to your mom be extra exciting but isnt a requirement with good ventalation from your flower room

silverhaze

silverhaze

T5 specturm and Fresh Air

Thanks for your continued advice guys - really appreciated:

Where I'm at is this - in the veg closet my size wouldn't handle any of the standard T5's so I found a 36" 6 light T5 (made by Tek) that is on its way to me. Question is for the bulbs. I understand that the metal halide is best for veg and that is very high in the blue spectrum. So I've ordered blue spectrum grow bulbs for all six that are in the same general spectrum as the MH bulbs. Do I need to use the red spectrum too? I've seen where folks use both but I just can't find that answer.

Next is fresh air - My room if you remember is 8x9x8', relatively small. I am feeding cool air to the room via 8000btu A/C. Carbon filter and inline 6" fan remove that air. Is this enough fresh air coming through the A/C for this room. I have another inline fan but using it would turn that room into a wind tunnel and I think it's too much. So my idea was to reduce the power of the fan that removes the air from the room and put it on a timer to coincide with my CO2. Does that sound ok or do you think I need more air? The room is so beautifully sealed now I hate to cut another hole to the outside.

Thanks!

P

Producer

Hey bro!
Glad to see everythings coming together for you!
As for your bulb question, if you have the cash you're better to get the red spectrum too. The red is the more essential of the two.
Some growers on the site will use HPS for both veg and flower. But I dont think many use the MH for both.
The only reason some growers only use one of the two is simply because not everyone can afford to continually keep switching back and forth. Costs of growing do add up my friend.
As for your air I think everything you've got should be just perfect. Sounds right on the money man. The timer you're speaking of for venting would be a "wireless thermostat".

Here's a link my friend.

The thermostat is simple, plug it in, and then plug your fan into the thermostat and set your desired temperature and the fan will just kick on or off whenever you're temperature goes above or bellow what you've set it at.

No need to cut another hole ;)
Peace bro! Keep it up!

silverhaze

silverhaze

co2

Hey Producer!

So what's the story with CO2 bags? As with everything, half the people love them, the other half say they don't work. Looking for a more economical way to introduce CO2 to the room. Any advice?

Thanks

P

Producer

Hey bro!
Umm honestly I dont know much about Co2 bags. I would reccomend just going to your local hydro store and buying a Co2 tank and regulator. The regulator comes with instructions as to how much Co2 you should release in the air for the amount of square footage you're working with.
I think the tank I bought cost me 160$ I believe...
So the way my local hydro shop works is I bought the tank once for 160$ or 180$, something like that. And one tank will last me about 2-3 months, almost a whole flowering cycle. Then when I run out of Co2 I just bring my empty tank back to the hydro shop and they give me another full one for 60$.
So you'd have your initial setup which would cost the most. I think a co2 ragulator is about 200$
If you shop online you can find deals though.
Here's two links for regulators.

So its a pretty pricy initial setup, but after you've got it you just need to keep filling your tank whenever you run out. Which is about 60$ where im from. But thats from a Hydroponics store. Keep in mind if you went directly to a shop that specializes in gas rentals, such as paintball tanks, or welding tanks and stuff like that, your cost for re-filling your bottle might be less.
Im just too lazy and I like to support my local hydro store. Even If I know they're making a small profit.

Hopefully this was of help to you bro!
Let me know your thoughts.

PS: If you wanna get a hold of me quicker just PM me.
I dont always check threads right away.
You got lucky ;)
I must like you or something. hehe.

Top Bottom