New grower and newbie. Need guidance and help please

• Thread starter ash93
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ash93

ash93

Hey everyone!

My name is Ash and I’m new to the cultivation culture and would love to learn everything about it. I’m a new grower and just recently started my first plant so i apologize in advance for this long post. I need guidance on how to maintain my plant and take good care of it to have good quality bud so I can start growing multiple plants at once. I had questions regarding a few different things and would love some advice as I’m a newbie to this so it would be great if you can help me out and explain things to me as if I’m a 5 year old. Heres a list of everything I have at the moment:
  1. Vivosun 36x36x72 tent
  2. Phlizon 600w led lights ( turned on during veg & flowering only)
  3. Oneo 100w led lights (turned on during all stages)
  4. 2 vivosun 4 inch 203 cfm fans with speed controllers & carbon filter (for intake & outtake fans. The intake is at the bottom and the the other fan releasing air outside is located at the top)
  5. Promix hp soil
  6. Taotronics cool mist humidifier
  7. 6 inch clip fans
  8. 3 pack with calmag general hydroponics nutrients
  9. Ph up & down kit
  10. Ph testing kit
  11. Tds meter pen
  12. Preciva digital ph meter
  13. I also have a dwc hydroponic system that I’m not using but if its easier to use let me know and i’ll set it up. Alfred horticulture 5 gallon
  14. 3 inch pots to use incase I need something smaller than what came with the dwc system
  15. Rockwool cubes
I started my plant in the soil on march 25 in a red solo cup and here's how I’m maintaining it so far. Not a lot of watering because I know seedlings don’t need a large amount. My water ph was above 7 before and that was my fault but i just started watering with ph 6-6.5. I water maybe once every 2-3 days until soil is dry an inch deep and light in weight. No nutrients being fed either. Here's a list of details of what my setup is like:
-Humidity is set between 55-70 when lights are on & off
-Temperature is set between 23-30 Celcius
-Light schedule: 18-6. Lights come on at 9 pm and switch off at 3 pm using a timer. Lights are located 12-16 inches away from the plant and adjust as it grows
-The small 6 inch fans are on at all times. One is located on the ground the other is at the top.
-Intake & outtake fans are being used while lights are one as temp goes over 30 celcius if they're off and they turn off when lights turn off. They're connected to the same timer as the lights.

So right now it seems like I’m having issues with my plant and would like to know what exactly I’m doing wrong. 1st issue I noticed is that the perlite in the soil is turning orange. 2nd issue is that the leaves are curling down from the tips as well as the sides instead of being flat. 3rd issue is that the tips look as if they're burned and turning yellow.
I did some research and learned that it could be nitrogen toxicity, underwatering/overwatering. I’m not really sure tho how it could be nitrogen toxicity if I haven’t given it any nutrients yet. This will be the fourth week.

The help that I’m looking for would be guidance on how to fix these issues and help with the nutrients. I have no idea how often to feed them and then water them like I’m so clueless. If someone who has experience with the same nutrients I have please let me know how often you feed and how often you water without feeding and how much I should use. I’ve been reading that its recommended to start with half the amount that’s recommended on the package. Still need help with schedule. I will be transplanting to a 14 inch pot which I believe is 7 gallons.

Please also let me know if there's anything that I should change about what I’m doing or my setup. Here are some pics as well to help you visualize what I’m working with. Thank you all in advance and I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

Thumbnail image1
Thumbnail image2
Thumbnail image3
P

pfaber11

That's a good setup . You seem to of thought of just about everything . Did you go into a shop to get some seeds and come out with all that ? If I were you I'd get some more plants in there maybe 4 or 5 .
Water when needed . The more the merrier .

ash93

ash93

That's a good setup . You seem to of thought of just about everything . Did you go into a shop to get some seeds and come out with all that ? If I were you I'd get some more plants in there maybe 4 or 5 .
Water when needed . The more the merrier .
i ordered almost everything off amazon and other things like my thermometers and small clip fans from local stores here in Canada.
one of my friends who grows has a bunch of seeds and gave me about 20

the reason why im starting with just one plant is because i never grew marijuana before and dont want to waste any soil, seeds, etc.

i just transplanted to a 7 gallon pot and i need help with feeding? how many gallons of water do i need in a pot and how much of the flora series do i use? how often should i feed and how often should i water? is it an everyday thing or what exactly?

Thanks!

Madbud

Madbud

Just looks overwatered, they really don’t need any water the first two weeks if the soil is damp, same if you transplanted into fresh bag soil, plenty of moisture for the roots to find.
Edit: next time put a couple holes in the base of the cup to water from the bottom. Its too easy to overwater in solo cups.

Dan789

Dan789

So I’m assuming that you’ve got something to reference on your delving into growing other than your post, any books read, time perusing basic growing forums, fundamental stuff like that...?

ash93

ash93

Just looks overwatered, they really don’t need any water the first two weeks if the soil is damp, same if you transplanted into fresh bag soil, plenty of moisture for the roots to find.
Edit: next time put a couple holes in the base of the cup to water from the bottom. Its too easy to overwater in solo cups.
I did have some holes at the bottom of the solo cup and didnt really water unless it needed water. I tested it by digging an inch with ny finger to feel if its still damp or not as well as feeling the weight. I just transplanted to a 7 gallon pot and fed it until there was run off. I’m having trouble with ph of the run off water tho. Before watering its 6 but the ph of the run off water was 5.7. I read that the run off water should have a ph of 6.5. How can I fix that issue?

ash93

ash93

So I’m assuming that you’ve got something to reference on your delving into growing other than your post, any books read, time perusing basic growing forums, fundamental stuff like that...?
Absolutely! Ive been reading a lot online, checking forums, and watching youtube videos. I did that for a couple of months and still doing that as theres more to learn. Being new to this, I come across different information and it confuses me so I thought id post a thread and see what advice I can get based on my setup. Any tips or advice that you can recommend based on my original post?

Dan789

Dan789

Pictures are always worth a thousand words, show us your problems...

Dan789

Dan789

My ideas are:, not enough humidity, too much light, and led light not optimum for seedlings. Cut down on the exhaust, cycle it on for only 5-10 minutes every hour just for air exchange throughout vegging. (30 C shouldn’t be too high) One radial fan should be plenty to power exhaust, open one screen at the bottom of the tent for fresh air entry. (Assuming you've got holes in the bottom of your solo cup?) Set the humidifier for 75%, keep the res full, check once a day at least. Back the light off your plant(s) if you don’t have a small fluorescent light you can use. No closer than 36”, use the smallest wattage light you have.
Checking for when to water, push you finger into the soil to your second knuckle, if you feel dampness and your finger comes out with dirt on it, moisture is good, if not water.
Get some simpler nutrients till you can figure this out a bit, Earth Juice Sea Blast, Grow

Damaged leaves whether through light burn or over watering will stay that way, just watch new growth. Don’t know what’s causing the red perlite, probably mold of some sort, the soil looked wet in the picture...good luck.

E9916A37 EA82 4D8C 8A29 C703F8A05774
Last edited:
One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Also don’t leave the plant on tent floor raise it up off floor creat a air gap under your plants warmer roots better drainage your plant is suffering wet feet .

Last edited:
Dan789

Dan789

Hey where did this guy go? Kind of thought his posts were a little off, where’d the shots of his supposed grow, go? Joins, posts and is gone in a day, a new record...?

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

My rh is so low im watering lightly on a dayley basis, not much about 12oz for a 5 gal pot, no problems.

ash93

ash93

My ideas are:, not enough humidity, too much light, and led light not optimum for seedlings. Cut down on the exhaust, cycle it on for only 5-10 minutes every hour just for air exchange throughout vegging. (30 C shouldn’t be too high) One radial fan should be plenty to power exhaust, open one screen at the bottom of the tent for fresh air entry. (Assuming you've got holes in the bottom of your solo cup?) Set the humidifier for 75%, keep the res full, check once a day at least. Back the light off your plant(s) if you don’t have a small fluorescent light you can use. No closer than 36”, use the smallest wattage light you have.
Checking for when to water, push you finger into the soil to your second knuckle, if you feel dampness and your finger comes out with dirt on it, moisture is good, if not water.
Get some simpler nutrients till you can figure this out a bit, Earth Juice Sea Blast, Grow

Damaged leaves whether through light burn or over watering will stay that way, just watch new growth. Don’t know what’s causing the red perlite, probably mold of some sort, the soil looked wet in the picture...good luck.

-Humidity was between 50-75% which i read was fine
-if i cut down on the exhaust the tempurature rises to 30 thats why i had to turn on the intake and exhaust fans while the full spectrum 1000w led lights were on to bring down the temp to 23-26 degrees C. The lights are atleast 36 inches away.
-I did turn off the 1000w and started using the 600w and switched on the veg mode
-i do have screens and holes at the bottom which im not opening because im using the intake fan and didnt want light to go in from the outside when its night time for the plants.

ash93

ash93

Hey where did this guy go? Kind of thought his posts were a little off, where’d the shots of his supposed grow, go? Joins, posts and is gone in a day, a new record...?
im still here i was just waiting for a few days to see how the plant is doing after transplanting to give you guys updates.
Also why do you think my posts were a little off? im a completely new grower and really trying to learn here so if im not using the correct terms or if i seem ignorant when it comes to certain things it would be great if you can educate me and advice me of the right thing. I am posting an update in a couple of minutes and would be great if you can take a look at it.

ash93

ash93

Hey everyone!

Quick update since my last post. I transplanted the plant to a 7 gallon pot and fed it the nutrients 6 days ago so that would be Sunday the 19th

-humidity: 50%-70%

-temperature: 22-26 degrees C

-both lights were on but noticed that it increased the temperature by a bit and reduced the humidity so now i only have the 600w led with veg switch on

-nutrients were mixed in a gallon of water. 2.5 ml of micro, 2.5 ml of gro, and 1.25 ml of bloom (half the recommended dosage) and im following a drain to waste schedule system. I fed the plant the full gallon but it seems like that was too much as the medium is still moist and will probably have to water it tomorrow

-im following a feed/water/feed schedule

-ph before water was 6.0 and 5.7 for the runoff water

my questions so far are:

1.The dtw schedule that I’m following says 500 ppm. I’m using half doses should I match it to be 250 or 500? It was 311 when I mixed my nutrients and added it to my soil.

2.my exhaust and intake fans are on while the lights are on to maintain the right temperature otherwise, it will rise to almost 30C. Just to touch on Dan789's comment should i change the timer for the fans to come on just for 5-10 mins every hour kind of thing or is it fine to just leave it on while the lights are on? Ive been hearing different answers thats why i want to check. They’re both 204 cfm with speed controller. again temperature rises to 30 when the fans are off but now im using 600w led lights

3.i didnt use calmag with my first feeding. Should i add it next time i feed or just with watering? just hearing different things

4. i feel like a gallon was too much for the plant, should i just give it half a gallon next time or just feed/water until theres 20-30% runoff? just getting a lot of different answers and looking to confirm which is best

5.i only have my 600w LED lights with veg & flower switches on. should i turn the other full spectrum 1000w LED lights i have or leave the 600w on only?

6.i havent watered/fed the plant for 5 days now but i will water it tomorrow. is 6 days without feeding or watering too long or is it because it might have been over watered?

Based on the pictures, can you please also let me know if theres anything that im missing and what should i fix. Appreciate you all and thanks in advance

Here are some pictures

60938384897  CE3CF94B FCB8 4AF8 98D2 6D9E9CCAA5B6
IMG 0317
IMG 0318
IMG 0320
uphere

uphere

Hey Ash, great work. She looks very nice. Remember its always easier to monitor your water/feedings with smaller, heavy drainage pots. Be very careful with her in that big bucket. It only takes an extra spash of water at that size to create problems. Keep up the good work. She looks very nice. Happy growing.

ash93

ash93

Hey Ash, great work. She looks very nice. Remember its always easier to monitor your water/feedings with smaller, heavy drainage pots. Be very careful with her in that big bucket. It only takes an extra spash of water at that size to create problems. Keep up the good work. She looks very nice. Happy growing.
Thank you so much I appreciate it. Any advice or tips based on my questions? Would love to hear your feedback.

uphere

uphere

The trick is in the watering/ feedings. Master that and everything else will fall into place. Your plant looks a bit over watered but healthy. I keep my grows very simple. I use either coco (Roots) or FF soil with AN. I just follow their feeding schedule. I find less is more. There are others who go the other way. My only real advise, enjoy it. If you aren't having fun stop doing it. Have a great grow.

ash93

ash93

The trick is in the watering/ feedings. Master that and everything else will fall into place. Your plant looks a bit over watered but healthy. I keep my grows very simple. I use either coco (Roots) or FF soil with AN. I just follow their feeding schedule. I find less is more. There are others who go the other way. My only real advise, enjoy it. If you aren't having fun stop doing it. Have a great grow.
Thank you for your response appreciate the feedback. I’m definitely loving the learning process and enjoying it. I’ll be updating you next week!

Top Bottom