NEW GROWER! Any help is appreciated!

• Thread starter kannakid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
kannakid

kannakid

Hey everybody, I’m a first time grower using the Supercloset Superbox and I have a few things that are a little worrying to me and would like some advice.

Some situational info: Temp-74 F
Humidity- 50%
Water temp- 67.8 F
Ppm- 868
pH- ~5.5(waiting on digital meter)
15min/6hrs for drip system
18/6 light cycle
The water level in my reservoir is ~1/4inch from bottoms of net cup.
I got them last Thursday as young clones from my local dispensary. Decided to give them 75% of nutrient solution because I did not know how old they are (also i read that it was recommended for early clones). I’m using Lotus plant nutrients.

The problem is that my leaves are droopy and my some roots are a little brownish as well as some roots are bunching up. My diagnosis is root rot and possibly overwatering? I have added Hydroguard recently and hope that can alleviate the root rot. Any advice on my setup/problems?

P.s. - The entire stem of my plants have turned a purple color but I heard this was comb for LED lighting systems? Any thoughts?

New grower any help is appreciated
New grower any help is appreciated 2
New grower any help is appreciated 3
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

OK, I am no expert on your system, but my first thought is those roots are really small for such a well developed clone. You need to ensure you have the right conditions for root growth. Right now what happens above the water line is less important than building roots.

To me, both temp and RH are too low, and PPM too high. You need to create an environment where respiration is happening as fast as possible and the roots need to get bigger to support that. Also needing to search a little for nutes encourages the roots to grow. Pump up those PPMs once you are fully in veg, not quite yet.

Roots will also "air trim" themselves a bit too. Yours look plenty wet, but for example if you grow in dirt with a fabric pot, roots that make their way out the side of the pot will stop growing as soon as they see the air and light. Make sure you are not doing anything that would cause that.

AlexGrowns

AlexGrowns

Are you bubbling? Are you technically ona drip system or DWC? If DWC may I suggest cutting the top feed and letting the roots seek out moisture, maybe the top never dries out?

kannakid

kannakid

OK, I am no expert on your system, but my first thought is those roots are really small for such a well developed clone. You need to ensure you have the right conditions for root growth. Right now what happens above the water line is less important than building roots.

To me, both temp and RH are too low, and PPM too high. You need to create an environment where respiration is happening as fast as possible and the roots need to get bigger to support that. Also needing to search a little for nutes encourages the roots to grow. Pump up those PPMs once you are fully in veg, not quite yet.

Roots will also "air trim" themselves a bit too. Yours look plenty wet, but for example if you grow in dirt with a fabric pot, roots that make their way out the side of the pot will stop growing as soon as they see the air and light. Make sure you are not doing anything that would cause that.

Any ideas of how I may increase the space temp and RH? And for the roots, maybe they are going outward because of the clay rocks? Maybe I can try and shift then around a little and add more to the emptier cups to prevent light from hitting my reservoir.

kannakid

kannakid

Are you bubbling? Are you technically ona drip system or DWC? If DWC may I suggest cutting the top feed and letting the roots seek out moisture, maybe the top never dries out?

The Superponics 8 system says it’s a DWC system that has a drip system as well as an air pump with air stones. Sorry if i’m not explaining it in the best way haha. So you maybe suggest cutting the top feed pump for now until my roots can can mature first?

AlexGrowns

AlexGrowns

The Superponics 8 system says it’s a DWC system that has a drip system as well as an air pump with air stones. Sorry if i’m not explaining it in the best way haha. So you maybe suggest cutting the top feed pump for now until my roots can can mature first?
I've never run DWC but I thought they were just for he first part, not 100% sure tho. They do look overwatered, might be worth a try.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Any ideas of how I may increase the space temp and RH?

Is this in a closet? What are your lights?

In general, lighting provides more than enough heat for the grow space and usually you are working to deal with getting rid of heat not the other way around. Looks like maybe you have some Amazon Blurple LEDs, that may not be your answer.

RH, in a small space like a closet, will naturally come up as the plants respire. Again, usually removing it is the problem.

There may be a limited amount of things you can do to maximize this grow depending on your circumstances. Ability to control things like heat, RH, light, etc are the things you use to maximize your grow, but you will still get flowers even in less than perfect conditions, just maybe not as many or as high quality as you were hoping. If you have the budget and space, we can help you get your environment better - really depends on you. Either way, plug on with this grow, you will learn a lot from it for sure.

FWIW - I do not see anything that is an emergency. Overcorrection at this point is probably your biggest enemy.

kannakid

kannakid

Is this in a closet? What are your lights?

In general, lighting provides more than enough heat for the grow space and usually you are working to deal with getting rid of heat not the other way around. Looks like maybe you have some Amazon Blurple LEDs, that may not be your answer.

RH, in a small space like a closet, will naturally come up as the plants respire. Again, usually removing it is the problem.

There may be a limited amount of things you can do to maximize this grow depending on your circumstances. Ability to control things like heat, RH, light, etc are the things you use to maximize your grow, but you will still get flowers even in less than perfect conditions, just maybe not as many or as high quality as you were hoping. If you have the budget and space, we can help you get your environment better - really depends on you. Either way, plug on with this grow, you will learn a lot from it for sure.

FWIW - I do not see anything that is an emergency. Overcorrection at this point is probably your biggest enemy.

Thanks for your advice! I am definitely expecting to learn a lot on this grow. I’ll attach a photo of the entire space, it’s like a small locker. I am going to try and place a small humidifier in the space for now and see if that helps. For my lighting I am using 2 Kind LED X40 lights.

kannakid

kannakid

Where are you going to flower? In the same space?

Yes. I woke up this morning and checked my roots and they are nice and white and growing longer! I covered the empty net cups so no light would break through to my reservoir and I think that might have helped. Waiting on my small humidifier to come in, i’m hoping that might help with the droopy leaves.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Kanna,

I love the idea and the really compact footprint. I do have a couple concerns for you if you want to listen to a little constructive advice.

First, I'm really concerned about the sheer amount of cubic feet you are working with. It appears that you will only have about double the vertical space your plants are currently using as a final point. Generally (cultivar dependent) plants are going to at least gain a couple feet between the time you flip from veg to flower and harvest. For me, that is conservative. I don't see where you have that kind of space to work with.

Also, I'd be concerned about the lighting being capable of flowering. But if you add more lights you will probably then be chasing heat issues.

Have you seen the bonsai weed plants around?

Screen Shot 2021 01 12 at 15712 PM

(not my picture)

I think you are going to need to do something like this to get any kind of usable flower out of that equipment. You will want to start researching low stress training and start planning your grow right away. That pic is from a clearly advanced grower who is pushing the envelope as to what is possible. That will be quite challenging for a new grower.

You may be doing this for stealth reasons or simply don't have the space, if so I get it. If not, there are really cheap and effective ways to make a larger space for yourself. That way you can get a couple "normal" grows behind you before you get all high tech!

kannakid

kannakid

Kanna,

I love the idea and the really compact footprint. I do have a couple concerns for you if you want to listen to a little constructive advice.

First, I'm really concerned about the sheer amount of cubic feet you are working with. It appears that you will only have about double the vertical space your plants are currently using as a final point. Generally (cultivar dependent) plants are going to at least gain a couple feet between the time you flip from veg to flower and harvest. For me, that is conservative. I don't see where you have that kind of space to work with.

Also, I'd be concerned about the lighting being capable of flowering. But if you add more lights you will probably then be chasing heat issues.

Have you seen the bonsai weed plants around?

View attachment 1078563

(not my picture)

I think you are going to need to do something like this to get any kind of usable flower out of that equipment. You will want to start researching low stress training and start planning your grow right away. That pic is from a clearly advanced grower who is pushing the envelope as to what is possible. That will be quite challenging for a new grower.

You may be doing this for stealth reasons or simply don't have the space, if so I get it. If not, there are really cheap and effective ways to make a larger space for yourself. That way you can get a couple "normal" grows behind you before you get all high tech!

Unfortunately I am limited in space in just a little apartment. I just wanted to try and learn about what the hell I am doing and just to take it 1 grow at a time. I have seen people bring their plants all the way to harvest in the space, and that is what the company claims so I guess we shall see if I got robbed😂. I’m not expecting a high yield nor am I expecting some immaculate buds. Just trying to dip my toes in the water and get a little experience before I decide to take it up a notch. I greatly appreciate the advice and hope that I can soon get a bigger place to apply it.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
for starters you need to cover the white box so that light doesn't penetrate into the container.
ph 5.8, temp best at 80f and best results for RH 60+
leave the roots alone and don't touch them. The plant is in a rockwool and rockwool holds allot of water. So, you are overwatering it.
what are you using for enzyme? hydroguard is not a enzyme

PK1

PK1

Supporter
i would also suggest starting on your trainings.(lst) low stress training or topping

LST is the picture that was posted by Moe. By bending the main stem and tying it down will make the plant to go sideways and allow more light towards the lower which will get the lower branches to grow.
topping will give you two set of new branches which will become part of the main stem later in veg and flower.

I would suggest to go the LST route

kannakid

kannakid

i would also suggest starting on your trainings.(lst) low stress training or topping

LST is the picture that was posted by Moe. By bending the main stem and tying it down will make the plant to go sideways and allow more light towards the lower which will get the lower branches to grow.
topping will give you two set of new branches which will become part of the main stem later in veg and flower.

I would suggest to go the LST route

I have covered my net cups with a piece of cardboard and my roots have grown a lotsince I have done that. And I have been looking in to LST and I am going to try and train them to go outward.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
I have covered my net cups with a piece of cardboard and my roots have grown a lotsince I have done that. And I have been looking in to LST and I am going to try and train them to go outward.
update us with pics so we can assist you. problems occur faster in a small space.

kannakid

kannakid

update us with pics so we can assist you. problems occur faster in a small space.

Okay so here’s a little update:
Temp- 75F
RH- 67%
pH- 6.2
ppm- 834

I added my small humidifier and turned my top feeder off for now, my feeding cycle was 15mins every 6 hours. They are being fed with Lotus “Grow” right now (i’ll attach the nutes and feed schedule). Tomorrow I am supposed to feed them again, should I purge my water and refill it before that? Also do you have any suggestions for a new feed cycle since I have my humidifier?

3814FEAB FBF2 4866 9EBC D2CAA0EEE638
281C2E70 4705 44CC AAAE FE8714F5AE61
F99A04EA 1D93 449C AB99 0BE8534DA3BE
4510E5E1 6909 47D1 9450 8659220E20AC
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Dude, looks great. As far as nutes goes, you gotta learn to watch your plants. You already have plenty in the res and your roots can reach it now. You don't do daily water changes with bucket systems like this.

I'd focus energy on training tonight. Get your parts together and bend some stems.

Top Bottom