New Grower: Help!! Seedlings falling over

• Thread starter NewbieHydro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NewbieHydro

NewbieHydro

I searched the forums but I couldn't find anything that would fit my situation.

I germinated my OG Kush Autos in rock wool. they started popping 5 days ago. I had them in a propagator with/ Dome and heating pad. I immediately lower a 2' - 2 bulb T5 light close to the dome without touching it. The early sprouts stretched to the top of the dome by day 3. I had to remove the dome, still keeping the light as close as possible. I turned a fan on low to try and strengthen the stems.

The early ones still kept stretching. I assumed that they must be reaching for the light. Yesterday I removed the T5 and lowered a 600-watt full spectrum led to slow the stretch. I had to give the Rockwool a spray or two because they were drying faster than normal. ( I assume)

Today 2 seedlings feel over. I propped them up with toothpicks. I noticed that the main vein of the leaves and the second pair of true leaves seemed to be a little yellow. I raised the light about 6", but I don't know what the hell I'm doing!!!

I have a 1020 tray with 7" dome coming. What else can I do or look for?

Your time and help is much appreciated!

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I searched the forums but I couldn't find anything that would fit my situation.

I germinated my OG Kush Autos in rock wool. they started popping 5 days ago. I had them in a propagator with/ Dome and heating pad. I immediately lower a 2' - 2 bulb T5 light close to the dome without touching it. The early sprouts stretched to the top of the dome by day 3. I had to remove the dome, still keeping the light as close as possible. I turned a fan on low to try and strengthen the stems.

The early ones still kept stretching. I assumed that they must be reaching for the light. Yesterday I removed the T5 and lowered a 600-watt full spectrum led to slow the stretch. I had to give the Rockwool a spray or two because they were drying faster than normal. ( I assume)

Today 2 seedlings feel over. I propped them up with toothpicks. I noticed that the main vein of the leaves and the second pair of true leaves seemed to be a little yellow. I raised the light about 6", but I don't know what the hell I'm doing!!!

I have a 1020 tray with 7" dome coming. What else can I do or look for?

Your time and help is much appreciated!
get them in soil or hydro if your going that route,dont just blast them either with light,they babies,time for net pots and tlc

NewbieHydro

NewbieHydro

What was the color temperature of the T5 tube? (was that T5HO?).

It is 6500k. I'm not sure about HO. My guess is yes as it was from a horticulture shop/

@stonestacker

I am to an ebb & flow using six, 2- gallon bucket system with hydroton. I'm a little concerned about burying the skinny stems with the hydroton.

I am sterilizing my set-up with H2O2 and water right now. I won't be able to drop them in for a few more days. I thought it would be 12 to 14 days from when they popped before I should put them in the system. I'm still trying to figure things out.

@oldskol4evr

I just can't seem to get the right balance of light. But.... I'm learning!

@Madbud

I just used what I was on hand

NewbieHydro

NewbieHydro

No water since yesterday and the yellow is 95% gone. I'm going to drain the H2O2 mix tonight. I should have the reservoir mixed and the seedlings in the buckets tomorrow.
Day 6 edit

Should I stay with 500ppm since they are still seedlings or bump it up some?

I still don't understand why the 1st ones to pop stretched so much. The two that popped late didn't stretch.

Fangthane

Fangthane

I thought it would be 12 to 14 days from when they popped before I should put them in the system. I'm still trying to figure things out.
With autos, 12-14 days is about half of the TOTAL time you have to grow them up before they start flowering. You don't really have time to piss around with getting autos going. Every little mistake is impacting your potential harvest. Like oldskol4evr said, it's time to get those little ladies in their net pots and feeding. Unfortunately, if there's one thing I do know about, it's stunting autos. Also, I'm not a hydro guy, but 500 PPM sounds really high for such young seedlings.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

No water since yesterday and the yellow is 95% gone. I'm going to drain the H2O2 mix tonight. I should have the reservoir mixed and the seedlings in the buckets tomorrow.
View attachment 888630

Should I stay with 500ppm since they are still seedlings or bump it up some?

I still don't understand why the 1st ones to pop stretched so much. The two that popped late didn't stretch.
early sprouts 100-250ppm 0.2-0.5 ec
early veg 300-400ppm 0.6-0.8 ec
full veg 450-700ppm 0.9-1.4 ec
early bloom 750-950ppm 1.5-1.9 ec
mature bloom 1000-1600ppm 2.0-3.2 ec
maybe this will help

W8ing4Buds

W8ing4Buds

Hello. Your problem was the dome. Propagatir/dome is very good for clones but not seeds. Because inside the seed you already have the root. Ass i figured it out the seedlings from seed need only a little light and a small amount od wind to harden them.

I wish you all the best.

Srenots

Srenots

all you can do is keep them propped up, whether its toothpicks or bread ties, use whatever u have...they will eventually be ok after that....dont stress, even if u dont prop them up they will just lean over on the pot and keep going anyway.. keep it simple and dont freak out , everything is gonna be ok lol

NewbieHydro

NewbieHydro

@W8ing4Buds
@Beachwalker

Much appreciated guys. I'm still learning. The next grow should be much better with all this great information

NewbieHydro

NewbieHydro

I finally plugged the girls into the system. I’ll give a brief(?) description of the system.

6, 2-gallon ebb & flow buckets, (Active~Aqua)

2 - 25-gallon reservoirs w/air-pump extra water pump for circulation

6" carbon filter with 450CFM in-line blower w/2-speed control

6 - 600-watt Full spectrum (not burple) LED grow=lights

2 Century timers. plugged into 2 dedicated a15amp lines
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
RO water GH Armor SI, Flora series @ 204 PPM PH - 5.45

Seedling pics coming

Day%208%20P5
Day 8 P5.jpg2545×1697 1.45 MB

Day%208%20P4
Day 8 P4.jpg1799×1199 1.74 MB

Day%208%20P3
Day 8 P3.jpg2545×1697 1.57 MB

Day%208%20P2
Day 8 P2.jpg1800×1199 1.9 MB
Day%208%20P2
Day 8 P2.jpg1800×1199 1.9 MB

Day%208%20P%206
Day 8 P 6.jpg2206×1470 1.25 MB

8%20dayGrow%20Rm
8 dayGrow Rm.jpg1080×720 828 KB

NewbieHydro

NewbieHydro

Your pH sounds way low, even for hydro. Also, why 2 seedlings in some pots? Are you gonna cull the weaker ones, or do you plan on letting them grow out like that?

Thanks Fangthane... I just bumped up the ph to 6.

I germinated 9 seeds. They all popped. I thought that it would be better than just culling 3 out

Fangthane

Fangthane

I've never tried two plants in a single pot before, but I suspect it may cause some problems down the line. If they both thrive, I suppose you could train the shit outta them to get them to lean away from each other, but I'm wondering if the root entanglement may end up being an issue.

NewbieHydro

NewbieHydro

I've never tried two plants in a single pot before, but I suspect it may cause some problems down the line. If they both thrive, I suppose you could train the shit outta them to get them to lean away from each other, but I'm wondering if the root entanglement may end up being an issue.

I am thinking along those lines. That is why I put them up front. If it looks like one or both, or one may be struggling, I'll cull the worst one.

NewbieHydro

NewbieHydro

The girls seem to have taken to their new pot… well… all except one. It was one of the last to pop. It has received the exact same treatment as the others. It is even sharing a pot with the other late popper. I may have to cull it but I’ll wait for now.
Rather than try to describe the issue… here is a pic
20190819 142320

NewbieHydro

NewbieHydro

She's looking worse. Any thoughts? The 8 others are looking healthy and most are larger with 2 nodes

Sick Girl 8 20 19

Heallty girl 8 20 19

Top Bottom