New grower here and need a lot of help

• Thread starter BcMemphis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BcMemphis

BcMemphis

Exactly. Water/feed when required not when it's convenient for you.
The roots like a soil that has a lot of air in it. If your constantly soaking it without giving the soil the wet dry cycle it needs your just going to drown your roots.drowned roots equals fucked shoots.
I am following what both of you are saying and these are the nuts i have. I will back off on the water and let it dry out a few day or how ever long it takes to dry.

66EB00E6 0535 415A 9DB0 8C473010501D
Greenthumbsucker

Greenthumbsucker

What about the pot? Does that effect his watering outcome? I only ask cause I just picked up a few of those fab pots. Never used em before so I'm wondering if it makes a difference with water compared to a bucket or plastic pot?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

What about the pot? Does that effect his watering outcome? I only ask cause I just picked up a few of those fab pots. Never used em before so I'm wondering if it makes a difference with water compared to a bucket or plastic pot?

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

I am following what both of you are saying and these are the nuts i have. I will back off on the water and let it dry out a few day or how ever long it takes to dry.
Welcome to the show. I have a similar grow going here: https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/experimenting-with-clones-and-dirt-a-black-thumb-adventure.127808/
My grow is several weeks ahead of you but using the same nutrients + CalMag. I'm feeding based on the "Medium Feed" schedule from this chart: https://edge.generalhydroponics.com/www/uploads/20210121184300/FloraSeries-Basic-Feed-Charts.pdf

The over watering thing is a common error, I nearly killed my first sprouts from over-watering.

JustLearninGx

JustLearninGx

I am having problems with my 2 plants and sorry in advance for the long post but I want to give some back round info.

What I have :
2x4 and a 3x3 tent and I am using the 2x4 for this.
2 Mars Hydro TS 1000W turned up about half way
Small heater set on a WiFi heater controller set to 78
Small humidifier set 55 I have to fell up once a day
4in in-line infinitely fan with the display to check all settings of the environment
Are use reverse osmosis water for watering and the humidifier

I got 2 clones from a friend of a friend with no info about them or how fare alone they are. They came in red solo cups and looked good. I put them in the tent for a 2 days to let them distress and I moved them into a 3gal fab. Pot with fox farm ocean soil. They have been doing good for 2 weeks now and I have not feed them anything because I have bad luck and I was hopping the soil would give me time to figure things out. Now I am getting yellow spots and the center of the leaves are turning a lighter color. So today i added 4ml of cal mag to the water and PH it to 6.3. `I have General hydroponics nuts but i seem to also screw this up. Any help would be great.!!!!!!!! I seem to not be able to figure out a feed schedule or how often to feed and then feed just water.
It’s important to check the run off PH as well, I was feeding in at 6.2 for a while n decided to check run off and it was at 5.4 so I had to up the ph ..I’m using fox farm soil and I’m a beginner so that’s all I ever used so not sure about other soils but fox farm u def have to adjust ph over time..I suggest getting some recharge .. it’ll really perc ur girls up n set them off. Good luck

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

I am having problems with my 2 plants and sorry in advance for the long post but I want to give some back round info.

What I have :
2x4 and a 3x3 tent and I am using the 2x4 for this.
2 Mars Hydro TS 1000W turned up about half way
Small heater set on a WiFi heater controller set to 78
Small humidifier set 55 I have to fell up once a day
4in in-line infinitely fan with the display to check all settings of the environment
Are use reverse osmosis water for watering and the humidifier

I got 2 clones from a friend of a friend with no info about them or how fare alone they are. They came in red solo cups and looked good. I put them in the tent for a 2 days to let them distress and I moved them into a 3gal fab. Pot with fox farm ocean soil. They have been doing good for 2 weeks now and I have not feed them anything because I have bad luck and I was hopping the soil would give me time to figure things out. Now I am getting yellow spots and the center of the leaves are turning a lighter color. So today i added 4ml of cal mag to the water and PH it to 6.3. `I have General hydroponics nuts but i seem to also screw this up. Any help would be great.!!!!!!!! I seem to not be able to figure out a feed schedule or how often to feed and then feed just water.
Hey there. First of all, you definitely do not need to use calmag in soil. Go to the general hydroponics website and go to feed charts. Flora series drain to waste feed charts. With soil you make sure to give plain water every 3rd irrigation or so. Water with nutes twice in a row and then plain water the third time, then repeat and water with nutes the next 2 times. What you can do is fill another 3 gal pot with just soil, dry soil. Lift the pot of dry soil and feel the weight of it and compare your plants to that. When your plants start feeling almost as light as the pot of dry soil, you know its time to water/feed. Or you could just buy a 3 in 1 soil meter for 20 bucks. Stick it in the soil and have a constant indication of soil moisture level, temperature, and pH. I have used gen hydro nutes with soil when i grew outdoor and now that i only grow hydro i still use gen hydro.

How often do you water and how much do you give each time?

Hey there @GNick55 hows it going buddy? Nice to see you want to help someone else out now.
@bcmemphido you have any pics of the leaves/discoloration you mentioned?

Oh and before i go, you probably dont need the humidifier in there, you definitely shouldnt use it during flower (unless you have really really dry air) you want to aim for 55-60% RH during veg and for the first 3 or 4 weeks of flower but then drop the humidity to 40% for the rest of flower. If the plants get too much moisture from the air they wont transpire properly and when that happens they dont drink as much water at the roots.....meaning they dont get nutrients either.

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

Yet again i try to help someone before reading the whole thing only to end up seeing that @Aqua Man beat me to it. Again. 🤣 oh and @BcMemphis , listen to Aqua man, the man knows aqua. He knows his shit and him, @GNick55 and others here have more combined knowledge about growing than you would believe. we're trying to help you. Earlier i mentioned that you could fill a pot up with just soil and put it in the tent next to the plants and compare the weight of the dry soil pot to the weight of the plants but in your case i think you would be much much better just buying a 3-in-1 soil moisture meter. They will let you know exactly when they are dry and if you pour the water in slowly (like you should. I mean come on now, we dont shove drinks down the lady's throat like that) and as you slowly water the needle will move from "dry" and you stop pouring just before the needle get to "wet"

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

The 6 part feeding chart specifically calls for CalMag. (?)
Yeah but this is for hydro/coco. You can mix the other 5 parts up and just leave calmag out if you want, it would change the amount of the other parts. There is 5% calcium in the micro so if you need magnesium just add epsom salt. Not fancy bath salt or anything that smells pretty, just straight magnesium sulphate. And since plants use sulphur to make resins, the extra sulphur will help them to have enough food to pump out the essential oils. Delicious essential cannabinoid and terpenoid oils. Mmmm..........

Last edited:
JustLearninGx

JustLearninGx

Yea I do every 2-3 days ..half gallon per 5G pot
Let me clear this up..the half gallon is late veg..in early veg I use 1L of water..n It’s mostly on the 3rd day I’ll water in more IF they look thirsty and the pots light in weight ..if ur soils constantly soaking wet ur leaves will droop ..as soon as it drys they should perc up n start praying to the light..that’s y I fk with fabric pots..it’s harder to over water them

Last edited:
JustLearninGx

JustLearninGx

Yeah but this is for hydro/coco. You can mix the other 5 parts up and just leave calmag out if you want, it would change the amount of the other parts. There is 5% calcium in the micro so if you need magnesium just add epsom salt. Not fancy bath salt or anything that smells pretty, just straight magnesium sulphate. And since plants use sulphur to make resins, the extra sulphur will help them to have enough food to pump out the essential oils. Delicious essential cannabinoid and terpenoid oils. Mmmm..........
I was using cal mag all in veg on my grow too, I thought I had to as well (growing in soil) but it didn’t hurt to use it (I don’t think) they still grew wonderfully..one of my grows is in nature’s living soil n I feed it nothing but h20 and recharge once a week and it’s double the size of my other plants that I give nutes (fox farm cultivation nation grow,micro,bloom) There’s definitely something to an organic grow…the one on the left is the living soil one..the other two I had to put on milk crates just to get them all at same height..n they were all born the same day..it’s crazy how much of a difference that’s added living soil made

F8A94878 5D92 4883 BBA3 E3F4309AD188
63AE56D6 39A7 4C21 AAAD 5BCDE000ABDC
Last edited:
DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

I was using cal mag all in veg on my grow too, I thought I had to as well (growing in soil) but it didn’t hurt to use it (I don’t think) they still grew wonderfully..one of my grows is in nature’s living soil n I feed it nothing but h20 and recharge once a week and it’s double the size of my other plants that I give nutes (fox farm cultivation nation grow,micro,bloom) There’s definitely something to an organic grow…the one on the left is the living soil one..the other two I had to put on milk crates just to get them all at same height..n they were all born the same day..it’s crazy how much of a difference that’s added living soil made
Your lighting may also have something to do with it. If it is not uniform, (common with single ended bulb style lighting) its possible that the plant you gave living soil too is also getting more light. Try switching the biggest plant with the smallest one and see if that helps them have a more uniform canopy. It is not uncommon for growers to switch the outer plants with the inner plants part way through the grow to keep an even canopy. I hope someone finds this useful🤣🤣

JustLearninGx

JustLearninGx

Your lighting may also have something to do with it. If it is not uniform, (common with single ended bulb style lighting) its possible that the plant you gave living soil too is also getting more light. Try switching the biggest plant with the smallest one and see if that helps them have a more uniform canopy. It is not uncommon for growers to switch the outer plants with the inner plants part way through the grow to keep an even canopy. I hope someone finds this useful🤣🤣
U mean switch there placements? the living soil one use to be in the middle, I changed there order about a week ago ..the living soil one was always more bigger even a week after they were born …the living soil is the one in the back corner (there was a 4th plant in there but it was a photo I had to take her out to change to 12/12) when I removed it a month ago the living soil was placed in the middle right under the light..but still it was always a bigger plant then the other 2 I don’t think the order mattered. The way they are in these pics the other 2 we’re getting more light at the beginning so you would think those 2 would of been the mvps here

F462E4E1 9112 4ED9 9A48 6AA51BF156F1
7CD9E580 E9DF 4D0B AE00 1BBF2453541A
Last edited:
DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

U mean switch there placements? the living soil one use to be in the middle, I changed there order about a week ago ..the living soil one was always more bigger even a week after they were born …the living soil is the one in the back corner (there was a 4th plant in there but it was a photo I had to take her out to change to 12/12) when I removed it a month ago the living soil was placed in the middle right under the light..but still it was always a bigger plant then the other 2 I don’t think the order mattered. The way they are in these pics the other 2 we’re getting more light at the beginning so you would think those 2 would of been the mvps here
It only really matters if your light isnt uniform but from what you described it has nothing to do with it. Living soil does have its advantages. Are they different phenos/strains or were they cloned from the same mom? If it were me and i had 1 that was growing way better than the rest, i would FIM / top the shit out of her and get her under a net. They look good though.

JustLearninGx

JustLearninGx

It only really matters if your light isnt uniform but from what you described it has nothing to do with it. Living soil does have its advantages. Are they different phenos/strains or were they cloned from the same mom? If it were me and i had 1 that was growing way better than the rest, i would FIM / top the shit out of her and get her under a net. They look good though.
Thanx man.. I tied her ass down twice 🤣 she’s so strong she straightens out in 12 hours ..i don’t kno how I feel about topping her, I’m to scared cus it’s an auto..all 3 are critical purp autos..I have a 2nd netting tho, u suggest I bust it out??

714DDD6A 2E89 48D3 A52A 2F1C619EBB24
DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

Thanx man.. I tied her ass down twice 🤣 she’s so strong she straightens out in 12 hours ..i don’t kno how I feel about topping her, I’m to scared cus it’s an auto..all 3 are critical purp autos..I have a 2nd netting tho, u suggest I bust it out??
The way i feel is if the plants can handle it, then fkn give it to her! 👍🏻😁🤣 if youre nervous about topping, try it with 1 top and see how she responds. I havent grown autos though so maybe someone else can chime in on this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom