New Grower In Need Of Advice!

• Thread starter DubInTheTub
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DubInTheTub

So bare with me this is my first time growing, and posting to a forum like this. I will try to explain my situation as best I can.

Right now I am moving into week 4 of flowering stage or week 7 total. The plants are alive and seemingly well except for some signs of nutrient burn showing at the tips of the leaves, and the slightly darker green color associated with too much nitrogen. The plants previously had the “claw” as well but I appeared to have corrected that for the most part right before flowering.

Clearly I have an issue with feeding weather it’s a Ppm issue or just how often I’m feeding. What I really am looking for is some guidance on how often I should feed these guys and how much. With the drip system I have a timer that turns it on and off, currently set to turn on every 12 hours for 3 minutes which is enough for run off. In the beginning I was throwing water at them hard, like every 2 hours, and while I’ve slowed it way down but I feel like I’m playing darts with this. I’ve kinda flushed them twice before but just with PHed water, I still see built up salt crystals at the top of the coco.

I have been following the feeding chart shown in the picture, along with some cal mag since I’m using distilled water. I’ve been trying to go for the lower end of the recommended Ppm range on the chart, and I always make sure I ph the water. I’m changing the water tomorrow to go into week 4 of flowering and I want to correct this before I ruin something

Any help finding a solid feeding regiment would be greatly appreciated and I will also take any other tips for improvement you guys have

Let me know if you need any more pictures, it’s hard to get any kind of color accuracy with the led light going
New grower in need of advice
New grower in need of advice 2

My set up consists of:
  • 2’ x 4’ x 7’ grow tent
  • Advance spectrum max s450 LED grow light
  • versa grow hydroponic drip system with 10 1 gal pots filled with coco/perlite mix
  • General hydroponic flora series performance pack for nutes & cal mag supplements
  • 4 plants total In the tent, 2 blueberry gum, and 2 og Kush grown from clones

New grower in need of advice 3
New grower in need of advice 4
Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

What are your Temperature and Relative Humidity numbers looking like?

D

DubInTheTub

Good question Saint.
If these numbers are in range, I'd say "change nothing".
They look healthy and on track.
Congratulations.

Thanks for the reply, the humidity right now is around 50% and temp goes from 70 to 80F depending on the light.

Monster762

Monster762

Good question Saint.
If these numbers are in range, I'd say "change nothing".
They look healthy and on track.
Congratulations.
Agree. By the looks of things and your numbers I wouldn’t change anything. “ if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”. Start adjusting things for minor sightings of what could be an issue and you’ll end up with issues. I’m new too but I’ve learned a lot of things work themselves out unless you have serious symptoms. And whenever you change things do it gradually and don’t change a lot of things at once or you never really find out what it was that made the difference. I think your grow looks healthy.

Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

So bare with me this is my first time growing, and posting to a forum like this. I will try to explain my situation as best I can.

Right now I am moving into week 4 of flowering stage or week 7 total. The plants are alive and seemingly well except for some signs of nutrient burn showing at the tips of the leaves, and the slightly darker green color associated with too much nitrogen. The plants previously had the “claw” as well but I appeared to have corrected that for the most part right before flowering.

Clearly I have an issue with feeding weather it’s a Ppm issue or just how often I’m feeding. What I really am looking for is some guidance on how often I should feed these guys and how much. With the drip system I have a timer that turns it on and off, currently set to turn on every 12 hours for 3 minutes which is enough for run off. In the beginning I was throwing water at them hard, like every 2 hours, and while I’ve slowed it way down but I feel like I’m playing darts with this. I’ve kinda flushed them twice before but just with PHed water, I still see built up salt crystals at the top of the coco.

I have been following the feeding chart shown in the picture, along with some cal mag since I’m using distilled water. I’ve been trying to go for the lower end of the recommended Ppm range on the chart, and I always make sure I ph the water. I’m changing the water tomorrow to go into week 4 of flowering and I want to correct this before I ruin something

Any help finding a solid feeding regiment would be greatly appreciated and I will also take any other tips for improvement you guys have

Let me know if you need any more pictures, it’s hard to get any kind of color accuracy with the led light going View attachment 763742View attachment 763743

My set up consists of:
  • 2’ x 4’ x 7’ grow tent
  • Advance spectrum max s450 LED grow light
  • versa grow hydroponic drip system with 10 1 gal pots filled with coco/perlite mix
  • General hydroponic flora series performance pack for nutes & cal mag supplements
  • 4 plants total In the tent, 2 blueberry gum, and 2 og Kush grown from clones
Any chance you can take a picture without the LED lights? That purple makes it hard to tell what is what color. But I don't see anything too alarming right meow. I see your using GH. Have you ever considered FloraNova Grow? It's an organic based all in one 2-part. I E one bottle in grow and one in bloom. I wish I would have known enough when I started to use that. Roots organic (I started with the 5ml Player pack) is great but I probably would have done better with something like floranova or dyna-gro.
whenever you change things do it gradually and don’t change a lot of things at once or you never really find out what it was that made the difference.
This is great advice

B

brimck325

def. need a pic without that light, but like everyone said, they look good.
nothing wrong with the flora series……if using the nova u can really make things simple by using bloom from seed to harvest….no grow needed.

Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

def. need a pic without that light, but like everyone said, they look good.
nothing wrong with the flora series……if using the nova u can really make things simple by using bloom from seed to harvest….no grow needed.
While I don't doubt it's possible, I would still recommend using a grow nute for veg.

D

DubInTheTub

Thanks for the replies guys
Right now they’re still progressing but I think the burn has gotten slightly worse. I added some pics without the light and you can see that one fan leaf is starting also to show it on the sides as well.

D73C9776 D08D 4C9B AE33 E4A4B81EB7E5
F84D4B37 8444 4B1B AA60 3A6D69E881B1
BC60E302 B251 4B61 A619 E44C1C49A5E0
EF98B006 7B6E 415F 82D7 CD70F3677C2D
1B741BCF 2EF9 49DD BE23 1B73EC2C2155
D228B069 1BFB 473A A068 6B660097BC9E
D4B665BB 766F 4AD2 AD7F 1EEE1CBCF188
F9DB8B77 4203 45F3 9AAF 3FB3D7A55C8E
A3BE06E7 96F6 4177 B5FF 3227BB90ABDA
FA9407A6 087E 45C3 A4F9 19C864CC79BB
Organikz

Organikz

At this point it isn't something to worry about. Your plant is tearing through nutrients. I would just keep the course. Check pH and check all other enviro factors.

D

DubInTheTub

At this point it isn't something to worry about. Your plant is tearing through nutrients. I would just keep the course. Check pH and check all other enviro factors.
Thanks man I’m watching it like hawk because aren’t Hiccups like this more dangerous during flowering?

Organikz

Organikz

Thanks man I’m watching it like hawk because aren’t Hiccups like this more dangerous during flowering?
It's hard to say what's going on. It could be simple as carbon transfer or onset of senescence (leaf death). Leaves have a life timer like us.

sixstring

sixstring

its really not bad like a few have already said.maybe lower your feed strength a bit like 100 to 200 ppm and keep on it.but they should finish fine even if ya dont change a thing.this tip burn can happen for a few dif reasons.could be low rh,could be over feeding,could be from the the pots drying out too much or often in coco or soil.but its not bad,in your case the plants look pretty damn good and at least ya know they have enough food.

Organikz

Organikz

@sixstring is the man to talk to. All I can tell you is top dress with compost but I've heard that doesnt work as well in hydroponics :p...but I will be sixs echo on this one.

I will however add [I know, I know]
Burned tips is usually potassium lockout. Potassium uptake is most affected by environmental factors that lead to reduced respiration or excess antagonist nutrients. This is why it's commonly mistaken for nutrient burn. Potassium is locked out by excess all macronutes, even itself, as well as Ca and Mg.

I want to point out that there is a huge difference in a lockout and a deficit. Don't add the nutrient that your deficiency best represents. If its a lockout you would be doing harm because now you're overloading your medium.

All of that being said take @sixstring advice as it's always been solid and those dosidos doh!

Double check enviro factors as well. I do a check over once a week on soil moisture, temps, rh, yell at my worms to get to work, basically a thorough enviro check. Every other day I just check my tensiometer and peak at my thermometer.

D

DubInTheTub

I wish my first try went as well as this,they look great.What calmag are u using?Some have more nitrogen than others.I stop calmag at week 4/5 and go with just epsom till the end.
It’s the botanicare cal mag
its really not bad like a few have already said.maybe lower your feed strength a bit like 100 to 200 ppm and keep on it.but they should finish fine even if ya dont change a thing.this tip burn can happen for a few dif reasons.could be low rh,could be over feeding,could be from the the pots drying out too much or often in coco or soil.but its not bad,in your case the plants look pretty damn good and at least ya know they have enough food.

Thanks man this whole thing gives me so much anxiety haha like how can watering too much AND too little cause nutrient burn... I get it but it’s just frustrating

I just really don’t want to screw anything up this late in the game. I did what you said by using the recommended nutrients for 10gal and then adding 2 gal of fresh on top of that before balancing ph.

newh

newh

Thats the same I use.You know most of these feed charts are based on using 1000 watt hid?This could be the cause of the deep green and tip burn.I never used the flora series before but you could probably cut back on the grow also the rest of the way.

D

DubInTheTub

@sixstring is the man to talk to. All I can tell you is top dress with compost but I've heard that doesnt work as well in hydroponics :p...but I will be sixs echo on this one.

I will however add [I know, I know]
Burned tips is usually potassium lockout. Potassium uptake is most affected by environmental factors that lead to reduced respiration or excess antagonist nutrients. This is why it's commonly mistaken for nutrient burn. Potassium is locked out by excess all macronutes, even itself, as well as Ca and Mg.

I want to point out that there is a huge difference in a lockout and a deficit. Don't add the nutrient that your deficiency best represents. If its a lockout you would be doing harm because now you're overloading your medium.

All of that being said take @sixstring advice as it's always been solid and those dosidos doh!

Double check enviro factors as well. I do a check over once a week on soil moisture, temps, rh, yell at my worms to get to work, basically a thorough enviro check. Every other day I just check my tensiometer and peak at my thermometer.

Bruh You’re killing me. Wouldn’t potassium lockout result in lack of bud growth since that’s what they use the most?

Latest posts

Top Bottom