New grower looking for skunk

• Thread starter DrToboggan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DrToboggan

Hi everyone,

New grower here, and long time lurker. Always been interested in growing, probably even more so than smoking.

What prompted me to grow has been legalization and the lack of good skunky bud like I had when I was a kid.
I’m tired of all the random polycrosses that just smell vaguely fruity.

My long term goal is to find that loud skunky bud I had when I was younger and share it with my Friends.

Last grow:
Dutch passion kerosene krash
NASC skunk #1 white label

New grower looking for skunk
New grower looking for skunk 2
New grower looking for skunk 3
New grower looking for skunk 4

Looking forward to learning more!

7munkee

7munkee

I know what you mean, brother. I have gone through several strains that were supposed to be skunky. NOTHING will compare to the Skunk that was going around the East Coast in the early 80's. Even Super Skunk couldn't quite muster up the same odor.

When I was a teen in the early 80's, all we could get was Skunk and Northern lights, unless you wanted to settle for seedy homegrown. They were completely opposite each other in effects. Skunk was almost psychedelic in its trippy effects and NL would knock you in the dirt unable to get up.

Now my faves are OG Kush or Gorilla Glue.

And welcome to the Farm, fam.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Hi everyone,

New grower here, and long time lurker. Always been interested in growing, probably even more so than smoking.

What prompted me to grow has been legalization and the lack of good skunky bud like I had when I was a kid.
I’m tired of all the random polycrosses that just smell vaguely fruity.

My long term goal is to find that loud skunky bud I had when I was younger and share it with my Friends.

Last grow:
Dutch passion kerosene krash
NASC skunk #1 white label

View attachment 1305518View attachment 1305519View attachment 1305520View attachment 1305521
Looking forward to learning more!

Lets see, I've grown lemon skunk, lime skunk, super skunk, and skunk #1. None of them have any hint of the skunk we had in the late 80's through early 90's. Everyone of those skunk strains I grew were floral to fruity. I expected it with the lemon skunk and the lime skunk ... but not so much with super skunk and skunk #1. Floral/sweet with zero skunk. Good smoke, but not what I was looking for.

Some say the acrid burning rubber skunk smell has been bred out and "old school skunk" doesn't exist anymore. Myself? I've been looking for it for a while now without any success.

Welcome to the farm ...

D

DrToboggan

I know what you mean, brother. I have gone through several strains that were supposed to be skunky. NOTHING will compare to the Skunk that was going around the East Coast in the early 80's. Even Super Skunk couldn't quite muster up the same odor.

When I was a teen in the early 80's, all we could get was Skunk and Northern lights, unless you wanted to settle for seedy homegrown. They were completely opposite each other in effects. Skunk was almost psychedelic in its trippy effects and NL would knock you in the dirt unable to get up.

Thanks man,

I’ve probably never had real “rks” or whatever it’s called. But I clearly remember a lot of the bud I had growing up was crazy loud.

I bought some sold as sour d back in the day. It straight up smelled like a dead skunk dipped in pinesol. Now everything seems to be vaguely fruity and that’s about it. Bring back the stinky stuff!!! I’ve been keeping my eyes open for a good kush strain.

D

DrToboggan

Lets see, I've grown lemon skunk, lime skunk, super skunk, and skunk #1. None of them have any hint of the skunk we had in the late 80's through early 90's. Everyone of those skunk strains I grew were floral to fruity. I expected it with the lemon skunk and the lime skunk ... but not so much with super skunk and skunk #1. Floral/sweet with zero skunk. Good smoke, but not what I was looking for.

Some say the acrid burning rubber skunk smell has been bred out and "old school skunk" doesn't exist anymore. Myself? I've been looking for it for a while now without any success.

Welcome to the farm ...
I’m in the same boat. I just wish if something was called skunk, that it actually had skunky notes. Just seems deceiving man.

I’ve got some seeds from various places on the way. All claiming to be skunky in one way or another. I’ll let you know if I find anything good. I don’t even need rks, just anything that is skunky lol.

T

Theoldman

I’m the old man now. I Acquired skunk number one back in 1990 and took 5 seeds from a pound that I was transporting for a busy. Grew that great shit every day for 13 years. Then the divorce came and stored the seeds in a container at my parents house in the basement. My antique dad got nosy and found it and discarded the 100 year old mason jar of my prized seeds. Lost, but I have found very close specimens to grow now so keep searching. It will happen, be persistent .

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I’m in the same boat. I just wish if something was called skunk, that it actually had skunky notes. Just seems deceiving man.

I’ve got some seeds from various places on the way. All claiming to be skunky in one way or another. I’ll let you know if I find anything good. I don’t even need rks, just anything that is skunky lol.
Ya that old Skunk was great to smoke but even in todays more liberal attitudes towards pot growing that stuff could be disastrous. Just smoking that stuff got the fire department called for a skunk in the building, let alone packing it around in your pocket.......

I mean I really don't need the neighbours and block knowing something odd is going on,,,,,,,,I have a Biscotti skunk growing now at 2 weeks into flower that they claim to be pungent and I'm glad to hear that others here growing skunk crosses didn't get that old skunk smell to any extent.

😁 I'd love to have some one else grow it though that would be willing to share......😁😁

T

Theoldman

Man I’m from the day when high times magazine was king. I had every issue 1987 to 2003. Left those behind. Skunk 1 can be found. The risk of growing it around nosy noses is worth the risk. Thanks

D

DrToboggan

Ya that old Skunk was great to smoke but even in todays more liberal attitudes towards pot growing that stuff could be disastrous. Just smoking that stuff got the fire department called for a skunk in the building, let alone packing it around in your pocket.......

I mean I really don't need the neighbours and block knowing something odd is going on,,,,,,,,I have a Biscotti skunk growing now at 2 weeks into flower that they claim to be pungent and I'm glad to hear that others here growing skunk crosses didn't get that old skunk smell to any extent.

😁 I'd love to have some one else grow it though that would be willing to share......😁😁
Yeah I’m very skeptical when growers exclaim how “pungent” a strain is. Seems more often than not, it’s marketing hype.

I agree about being careful, even though I’m legal I don’t want to piss off the neighboors!

D

DrToboggan

Man I’m from the day when high times magazine was king. I had every issue 1987 to 2003. Left those behind. Skunk 1 can be found. The risk of growing it around nosy noses is worth the risk. Thanks
I’m sure excited to find a keeper! I miss the old stuff so much, I’m willing to sort through a lot of seeds. I’m thinking when my current grow is done, I’ll do a hunt.

Right now I’ve got some Thousand Oaks F5 seeds going. They smell more rubbery than skunk, but the smell is quite persistent even in veg. My plan is to cross the stinkiest male with the females and produce some nice F6 seeds for breeding later on. Time will tell!

hrtbrk3n

hrtbrk3n

I have GG4 x Chemdog 91’ Too early to tell smells still but definitely looking in the right direction ;)

D

DrToboggan

I have GG4 x Chemdog 91’ Too early to tell smells still but definitely looking in the right direction ;)
Good to hear, keep us updated!

Right now here is what I have:

Two thousands oaks F5 females- stem rub is pretty rank
Oldschoolchronic skunk- small but interesting so far. Two seedling smell particularly interesting.
I_GROW_SKUNK - skunk and 70s afghani , the skunk are just getting old enough to start throwing some interesting smells. The afghani is too small.
Kandahar afghani- leaves smell rank, but plants are very small.

I grabbed a clone of everything and will flip to flower once they all root.

Top Bottom