New Grower, Mildew Questions at Harvest

• Thread starter PilsBaguette
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PilsBaguette

PilsBaguette

Hi there all, first time posting.

My set up: 3 outdoor plants, northern climate that is quickly cooling below ideal temps. I'm starting to harvest and do a wet trim, and I'm seeing some mildew (see pics) on some of the sugar leaves near the bud.

The pics are the most obvious and glaring examples.

This is for personal use.

Basically what I'm asking is, do I have to trash this whole harvest? Is it dangerous to consume this product? Is drying/curing/smoking more dangerous than decarbing and infusing into an oil?

Also, I invested in an 1000x magnifier for the trichomes, so if I need to look out for anything specific on the buds, what would it be?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

New grower mildew questions at harvest
New grower mildew questions at harvest 2
New grower mildew questions at harvest 3
New grower mildew questions at harvest 4
New grower mildew questions at harvest 5
New grower mildew questions at harvest 6
Ponky

Ponky

It's not going to be good smoke. It will taste like PM. Sore throat. Psychosomatic headache. Gross taste. Yeah. If it's your only smoke you can make like a BHO and dab it. Should be ok. Or quick alcohol rinse. Make oil. Filter with a fine filter. PM is PM. It's gross.

PilsBaguette

PilsBaguette

It's not going to be good smoke. It will taste like PM. Sore throat. Psychosomatic headache. Gross taste. Yeah. If it's your only smoke you can make like a BHO and dab it. Should be ok. Or quick alcohol rinse. Make oil. Filter with a fine filter. PM is PM. It's gross.

Appreciate the response.

So to confirm (if others have similar experience), making oil with very mildly mildewy bud and trim would not be harmful or dangerous? I imagine the heat from both the decarb and the oil bath would kill any spores?

Ponky

Ponky

Yeah many processes get rid of it. Distillation is best. Rosin won't work. But BHO thats then alcohol rinsed is going ro be the most efficient. And a quick alcohol only wash is the easiest. Co2 extract I'm not sure. Might taste it.

hippystuff

hippystuff

I have had that problem regular here in pacific north west and use a quarter cup to a gallon of baking soda and lemon juice in luke warm water lightly swish your buds forwards then back 3 or 4 times, not side to side then a second wash in Hydrogen Peroxide, 1 quart to a gallon. then I do a quicker dry with lots of air flow and make sure you do a good clean up before the dry. then you can do anything you want with it The flavor is a little bit mild butok to smoke you do not have to make hash. Even if you make hash make sure you do the washes first or you will have the mold taste in final product. I have better luck with auto bud for outside here. The best ways to keep from getting it is make sure there is no dead plant matter around your grow and take the whole leaf stem when you pull a leaf. If you leave partial stems they rot on the the branches.. If you can shield your plants from rain that helps and water in morning when the weather is wet.

hippystuff

hippystuff

This is what it looks like magnified. Mold? Milk mixture residue?
Milk usually kills mold. how many days before the pic did you foliar feed? After two weeks of budding I skip foliar feeds. If you were trying to treat for mildew you can use a hydrogen peroxide or alcohol spray. Hydrogen peroxide needs sunlight to work best. Neem oil can be used if you have a week before harvest. Any sprays for mold should be earlier in the day so the water does not sit thru the night. And squash and other big leaved gourd and grape often the source of the powdery mildew .

hippystuff

hippystuff

Really goo
Hi there all, first time posting.

My set up: 3 outdoor plants, northern climate that is quickly cooling below ideal temps. I'm starting to harvest and do a wet trim, and I'm seeing some mildew (see pics) on some of the sugar leaves near the bud.

The pics are the most obvious and glaring examples.

This is for personal use.

Basically what I'm asking is, do I have to trash this whole harvest? Is it dangerous to consume this product? Is drying/curing/smoking more dangerous than decarbing and infusing into an oil?

Also, I invested in an 1000x magnifier for the trichomes, so if I need to look out for anything specific on the buds, what would it be?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
good clarity on the pics.

PilsBaguette

PilsBaguette

Milk usually kills mold. how many days before the pic did you foliar feed? After two weeks of budding I skip foliar feeds. If you were trying to treat for mildew you can use a hydrogen peroxide or alcohol spray. Hydrogen peroxide needs sunlight to work best. Neem oil can be used if you have a week before harvest. Any sprays for mold should be earlier in the day so the water does not sit thru the night. And squash and other big leaved gourd and grape often the source of the powdery mildew .
Yea, I treated it with a milk and water mixture, which to my eye killed off a lot of the mold on the fan leaves, but I think some of the mildew stuck around on the denser sugar leaves near the bud. I also did a baking powder and water spray.

I have no experience with hash and tinctures and all that, basically I grew this to smoke and make edibles. Looks like the consensus is that edibles is the way to go

PilsBaguette

PilsBaguette

I guess my plan of attack will be to dry out a few days as seen below in my basement with my dehumidifier, then decarb in the oven, then make cana-oil for edibles.

20210928 142832
Ponky

Ponky

You could run that batch into BHO with a 100 dollar stainless steel tube and a dozen cans of butane.

Ponky

Ponky

I... don't know what literally any of that means, maybe that's a next year project 😂
You buy this metal cylinder from Amazon. A Pyrex dish. Case of butane for extracting. Blast it through. Boil off the butane. Now you have honey oil for dabs. It's a classic way of salvaging weed. And it's strong as a mule kick.

PilsBaguette

PilsBaguette

You buy this metal cylinder from Amazon. A Pyrex dish. Case of butane for extracting. Blast it through. Boil off the butane. Now you have honey oil for dabs. It's a classic way of salvaging weed. And it's strong as a mule kick.

I'd have to do so much research before attempting this, playing around with chemicals and extractions, as a first time grower, this would be pretty intimidating. Definitely will look into it for the future though.

Thanks

Ponky

Ponky

I'd have to do so much research before attempting this, playing around with chemicals and extractions, as a first time grower, this would be pretty intimidating. Definitely will look into it for the future though.

Thanks
Yeah its not the safest thing to do. Never ever do it inside a shed or garage. But it's pretty easy when the time comes. And dabs are pretty nice. It's literally pump butane. Collect liquid. Wait. You just don't let it explode.

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

Hi Pils. If you google making BHO, you’ll see some success stories and some “oh shit…I just blew up my house” stories. It’s not for amateurs to attempt. Regarding your drying process, you should dry your buds on a screen or some breathable fabric rather than aluminum foil which has no ventilation and will require you to turn your buds for proper drying. If you don’t turn them they’ll be dry on top and wet on bottom.

PilsBaguette

PilsBaguette

Hi Pils. If you google making BHO, you’ll see some success stories and some “oh shit…I just blew up my house” stories. It’s not for amateurs to attempt. Regarding your drying process, you should dry your buds on a screen or some breathable fabric rather than aluminum foil which has no ventilation and will require you to turn your buds for proper drying. If you don’t turn them they’ll be dry on top and wet on bottom.
Hey Nashoba, you caught me with the aluminum foil :D

I trimmed up the bud once I found the mildew, so I couldn't hang dry like I did in my test batch. So I was left with a pile of trimmed up bud and no way to hang. The aluminum foil was my attempt at a makeshift rack. Big ass holes in the foil for better air flow should work. I have a good fan going too.

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

If you plan to grow in the future, consider buying a screen rack system like I and many others use. I’m only using 4 of the 6 levels but if you use all 6 levels you get a huge amount of surface area for drying. I hang it using a heavy duty fishing snap swivel and aim a small fan off to side so the air spins the rack system. I still try to flip buds daily on each level for even drying but they’ll probably dry ok without flipping.

B2A0D74A 5D31 4D47 9B8B 15B4C0231AC0
PizzaBob

PizzaBob

It’s not trashed. Do the lemon/baking soda then H2O2 then plain water wash. Use tepid water. And very important if it as soon as you harvest. If you wait and it starts to dry it’ll return your buds dark brown and the taste will suffer.

But don’t over react and start throwing it in the blast pile. Give the wash a try.

Latest posts

Top Bottom