NEW GROWER! Need tips and help please :)

• Thread starter SlayyGirl
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

SlayyGirl

Hey all!!
I am a first-time grower here! Like, I literally have no clue what I am doing and just kind of winging it. I'm an avid marijuana user and never thought of growing my own until I got older and adulting and started doing my own home gardening. I thought why the heck can't I do it? So I happened to get a bag of marijuana from a friend that had a lot of seeds in it. I saved them and did the germination thing thinking nothing would happened, and to my surprise, they sprouted!! So May 15th 2022 is the day I planted those little beauties in little containers. 5 of them in total! I have NO clue what strain they are or anything other than I got these seeds out of my bag :p. I started growing them outdoors for about 4 weeks, and then brought them in, so I could control the enviornment. I think that is why they are kind of stretched at the bottom? So as of now they are 10 weeks old and this is how they are looking....I water and feed them as needed and are in a 1 gallon container...I have 2 LED grow lights and then a 5 - wand grow light that changes light color, so currently I have that set in the blue lighting for vegetative growth. My light schedule currently is 18/6...But I am thinking of switching them over to12/12 since I dont have too much space. Could these plants handle that? Oh and the figuring out if they are male or female...I have no clue what they are!! I thought they were females growing but now it looks like more leaves? As you can tell Im pretty clueless. Im pretty shocked that they have made it this far honestly! I do take care of them every day and consider them my babies, but the information out there is just soo much and I would love to hear tips and advice from actual growers. Especially since my plants look nothing like what I see online lol If you made it this far in this thank you!!

New grower need tips and help please
New grower need tips and help please 2
New grower need tips and help please 3
New grower need tips and help please 4
crossfader

crossfader

You say you've got 2 led's? What is the wattage? Pictures of them perhaps? That aside, they don't look too shabby for a first timer! That should be encouraging, enjoy the process!✌

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

This is them with the lights… the 2 white bulbs are 12 watts each and then my LED 5 prong light is 150 watts.. do you think that’s enough!? Thanks for the encouragement!
Um ... no. I think your plants would be better off outside in the shade. The shade outside would likely be brighter than your LED lights. As for encouragement, I encourage you to move them outside like @weed420420420420420 suggested.

Edit: what is the actual draw from the electrical outlet on your 5 prong light? There are many sellers that claim their 50 watt LED light is equivalent to XYZ amount of light. That's a sales gimmick designed to separate your money from your wallet.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hey all!!
I am a first-time grower here! Like, I literally have no clue what I am doing and just kind of winging it. I'm an avid marijuana user and never thought of growing my own until I got older and adulting and started doing my own home gardening. I thought why the heck can't I do it? So I happened to get a bag of marijuana from a friend that had a lot of seeds in it. I saved them and did the germination thing thinking nothing would happened, and to my surprise, they sprouted!! So May 15th 2022 is the day I planted those little beauties in little containers. 5 of them in total! I have NO clue what strain they are or anything other than I got these seeds out of my bag :p. I started growing them outdoors for about 4 weeks, and then brought them in, so I could control the enviornment. I think that is why they are kind of stretched at the bottom? So as of now they are 10 weeks old and this is how they are looking....I water and feed them as needed and are in a 1 gallon container...I have 2 LED grow lights and then a 5 - wand grow light that changes light color, so currently I have that set in the blue lighting for vegetative growth. My light schedule currently is 18/6...But I am thinking of switching them over to12/12 since I dont have too much space. Could these plants handle that? Oh and the figuring out if they are male or female...I have no clue what they are!! I thought they were females growing but now it looks like more leaves? As you can tell Im pretty clueless. Im pretty shocked that they have made it this far honestly! I do take care of them every day and consider them my babies, but the information out there is just soo much and I would love to hear tips and advice from actual growers. Especially since my plants look nothing like what I see online lol If you made it this far in this thank you!!
Hi, unfortunately you are going to need more light to get what you see in other pics. those lights are barely big enough to do much more than you've already done. You have them healthy so you've got them this far but you're going to have to make a decision on more lighting......look at some of the Spiderfarmer lights . You can get a decent light relatively cheap. I have 2 of the se3000 a very popular light. About $400 cdn delivered or in USA dollars......what would that be?......$99?

Ponky

Ponky

Unfortunately they speak the true true.
Your lights are insufficient for cannabis. But from what I'm seeing you have a great little space for a grow tent. A tent, some Ventilation and a nice LED light and I'm seeing 6 to 8 pounds a year.

S

SlayyGirl

Um ... no. I think your plants would be better off outside in the shade. The shade outside would likely be brighter than your LED lights. As for encouragement, I encourage you to move them outside like @weed420420420420420 suggested.

Edit: what is the actual draw from the electrical outlet on your 5 prong light? There are many sellers that claim their 50 watt LED light is equivalent to XYZ amount of light. That's a sales gimmick designed to separate your money from your wallet.
unfortunately I cannot move them outside...also this grow is all for personal use so I was trying not to spend a whole lot of money on it but I am going to look into legit grow lights. `

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I appreciate it!! I’m really glad I asked because I honestly thought my lighting was fine so it’s good to know and I’ll be ordering legit ones tomorrow 😎
Before you place that order, how big is your space? Smaller spaces you can use smaller lights in. For example, if your space is a 3 x 3 ft square you'll want a grow light around 270 watts measured at the outlet. That information should be in the specs of the light. Target about 30watts per ft square.

BayouMan

BayouMan

I’m in the same boat as you… I don’t know anyone here to buy from, so why not grow my own!?! I planted five unknown seeds on 04/01/22 and ended up with 2 males (another skill you must learn, sexing them). I got two Vivosun VS-1000 led lights from Amazon for $129/each. Also a 2x4 grow tent for about the same. It has Mylar reflective interior which increases your light efficiency by 20-30%. You could also use a closet lined w/tin foil. The three females are about 3-1/2 weeks into flower. If what this and the other forums tell me is true, I should get a almost a pound of bud or more. One photo is from today and the other is from a few weeks ago that shows the SCROG net and frame. Learned that from the forum and watching the you-tube. Good luck!

030DF9F3 A4A9 49D4 A667 4EFEEAE2F787
7D23A3C7 B058 415B B51D 0110292FF193
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

If you are trying to replace your weed needs and grow your own then you need to do it properly. Not trying to reprimand you just give you the 411 on a successful harvest.

Since your outdoor garden is out of the picture, you're only alternative is an indoor tent. What does that mean? It can go from an all-inclusive kit bought on amazon (I recommend the AC Infinity line of tents and all inclusives) to a sheet of plastic, an LED grow light and a closet. A tent would be your best bet as you will have much more control in manipulating your plants to do what you want them to do along with providing the optimal conditions for a bountiful harvest. That being said this go round I would just try and prop up what you already have and make some adjustments that will improve the grow.

Obviously, lighting is one of the 3 keys to growing ANY plant. The other 2 are nutrition and water. What you NEED in lighting is one that is powerful enough to handle both phases of growth. Vegetative where you're growing all the branches and leaves, and flowering where you are growing the actual fruit that you seek as the end product. Certainly, having the best lights money can buy has its advantages but at the stage you are at I would first start out with something cheap and effective. If it was just lighting, then I would go with a sub $100 light. It's not the best but certainly will get you through the grow with positive results. As you get better at it you can upgrade your lighting and environmental gear to better control the grow. As an example, I would look at something like this:

or this:

Not the best lights out there but will certainly do the job.

If you decide to jump in then this would be a good place to start:

Look up topping techniques on this site that you can use to get the most out of the plant material you have, now that you'll have a light that can support that kind of growth.

This is going to be a journey. If you decide to take it you will be pleasantly surprised at how fun it is to grow your own.

Good Luck! We're here to assist whenever you need it! 🙂

Last edited:
Mechman60

Mechman60

Hey all!!
Sounds familiar, You can get a used 2×4 grow tent for about $60 online and Szhlux pt4000 LED for about $160.00 then dollar store fans to vent it. I did it after 2 years and WOW. The fun began. And sexing isn't to hard. You tube, Google. Looking good tho.

Latest posts

Top Bottom