New Grower, Needs help... Plant issues

• Thread starter blueleaf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

blueleaf

Hey guys, this is my first grow, 4 plants for myself :)
the strain which im growing is unknown, got the seeds from a friend.
im at 4th week of Flowering as you see, white hairs popped
out, not visible resins whatsoever.
im growing on soil using a 250w HPS.
im using GHE nutrients. grow, flower & micro.
in the last weeks as you can see there is a yellowing of older leafs,
also from the beginning i had leaf curl sideways, now also downward, another thing, some leaf have yellowed edges.
as for last watering, i didnt feed with nutrients cause i think i might over did it. pictures attached showing what i said above.
I would love to get some help, yours truly , Blueleaf

01 yellowing
02 curling1
03 burnt tips
Cort

Cort

I dont have the experience to answer, but to save you some time I can tell you what some others will ask.

PH of feedings/waterings
PPM of feedings
What are you feeding the girls exactly and how often
RO or Tap water
Temp and RH for lights on and off
Probably will want to know kind of soil you are using too.

From my understanding, curled leaves are from a PH the girls dont like. That could also be locking some other goodies out. Burnt tips indicate slight nute burn. Dont act on my say so, mostly thru that in just to be corrected for my own learning.

Good luck. The infirmary has many threads with examples.

Taedon83

Taedon83

Downward leaf curl from my experience is a nitrogen toxicity. So run a few flushes with maybe a little calmag or drip clean some kind of salt removing agent then add a batch with some calplex ideally. That should fix you right up. Other than that you look good man.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hey guys, this is my first grow, 4 plants for myself :)
the strain which im growing is unknown, got the seeds from a friend.
im at 4th week of Flowering as you see, white hairs popped
out, not visible resins whatsoever.
im growing on soil using a 250w HPS.
im using GHE nutrients. grow, flower & micro.
in the last weeks as you can see there is a yellowing of older leafs,
also from the beginning i had leaf curl sideways, now also downward, another thing, some leaf have yellowed edges.
as for last watering, i didnt feed with nutrients cause i think i might over did it. pictures attached showing what i said above.
I would love to get some help, yours truly , Blueleaf
GREAT photos on this, but some information is missing. First, feeding amounts--what are you using? At what pH is the feed going in? Not a fan of using run-off to gauge what's happening, but first, if I may, I'd like to talk about what *I'm* seeing with your girls and make mention of a couple of things.

Don't be overly concerned with the yellowing lower leaves, this is a sign that the plant is using nitrogen from those 'storehouses' to create new growth. If you continue to push too much nitrogen that growth will be mostly vegetative and not sweet bud. That's not to say that they don't still need some nitrogen, but they need much less, IMO/IME. Also, don't be worried about lack of trichomes, it's not only your first grow, but unknown genetics that you know nothing about except what you smoked, yeah?

Your girls actually look very good, in my opinion.

Drop the grow portion of the feeding regimen. Your girls are a month in, and now's the time to stop feeding higher nitrogen levels. You may need to up the bloom feed, but I wouldn't at this point, and I'll tell you why--they actually look very good and they've been fed JUST to the point of leaf tip burn, which is a great way to gauge how much to feed.

In order to get better fattening of the buds and better trichome development (assuming this is a girl that's regularly known to get frosty from the start) you need to bring up the phosphorous, and many people will do that with weekly high P/K boosts. Since this girl's genetics are unknown, don't sweat whether or not she'll pop trichomes--it WILL happen as long as you dont' kill her. Other people, especially if going organic soil, will use guanos and teas to give more phosphorous and potassium (P and K, respectively), others simply rely on the pre-made nutrients because they're already balanced. It sounds like you have a regimen that you're working with, so if you just drop the Grow and keep the Bloom and Micro, you'll be ok.

Keep feeding just to the point of leaf tip burn, that's the edge of overfeeding, then give plain waterings if you feel you've pushed it too far. That will express as very dark green leaves, curling downward (you've got one photo that shows that, it's easy to get past, no worries), and vegetative growth occurring at a time when flower growth should be happening (yes, 4 weeks in is when buds should be building).

Just try dropping the grow, since it's soil I'd have to say give it 10-14 days to really be able to tell whether or not you're on the right track. No worries.

B

blueleaf

thank you all for your kind replies , specially HDN and Seamaiden !
ill add some info about my grow first :
as i said im using Flora grow from GHE:
this is the chart that i followed : (using the TERRA chart)

the nutrients came with a starter kit with a low-ph crystals,
im adjusting the water from ph 8 to about 6-6.5
im doing that by filling a bottle of 2 liters with tap water (i let it sit about two days before)
and then adding nutrients , adjusting the ph and watering.
every plant gets about 0.8 liters a week i think
i water twice a week when the dirt is dry,
i do not measure the ppm, just follow the GHE chart
im using mixed soil that i bought from the shop.
last week (from 2nd to 3rd) i changed the feeding according to
chart adding more bloom and less grow.
I see now that the chart states :
G/M/B (5,5,5) VEG
G/M/B (9,6,3) First & second week of
G/M/B (3,6,9) Flowering

I think i might skipped the (9,6,3) part of first and second week of flowering,
ive never crossed this part before in any guide ive read,
and it could explain why plants are looking this way

what do you guys think ?

again thank you for your help, its much appreciated, Blueleaf

G

got2loveit

have u been feeding every watering? imho its low soil ph and too many nutes already in your soil... i would wash 2 times with pure h2o see if growth pics up... nutes/ minerals build up in the soil... then maybe add some seaweed kelp if symptoms stop... a aact will help... then u can go back to adding some bat guano high P.... throw those bottles away!
remember feed the soil...and it will give everything ur plant needs... my 2c

B

blueleaf

yeah i've been feeding them about twice a week
didnt see any signs of over-fert until last two weeks
ill wash them the next two times. thank you for your help !

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Keep pH between 6.5-6.8, the range you've been using is a bit too low for soil. I agree also with 'flushings', except that I wouldn't actually flush (passing several times pot volume of water through medium), I would just use water instead of feeding. Then, when you feed, keep the pH in range and drop the grow portion of the formula. Watch.

B

blueleaf

i watered the plants once , no flush just water,
ill adjust the ph to ~6.8
ill try measuring the runoff ph just to have a clue,
next time ill water again no nuts, and report back beginning of next week

Hoo-Rah

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The only thing measuring run-off pH is going to tell you is what it's pulling out. A soil sample test is more accurate and reliable.

Small samples from each pot, and from different areas of each pot, are taken and mixed with water of known parameters (this means the water needs to be tested before you mix it with the soil). Let set for 5-10mins, then strain off, measure pH and any other parameters you can currently test for (I do pH and EC tests this way as a Dx tool when having problems).

B

blueleaf

i only have color ph indicator. cant help me measure the soil.

as of yet plants showing signs of over-fert.
some new signs also like yellow-brownish dots on leaf edges
and major yellowing of lower plant leafs,
today i watered with a ph of 7+ trying to balance the ph level.
im giving it a go for few more days, then upload some pictures.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes it can. Take the samples, mix them with the water as I outlined above, then strain the water and measure. Unless it's really, really stained, you should be able to get at least an approximate colorimetric reading from it.

B

blueleaf

hi again
the runoff from the plants is kinda green / brown so i cant
really tell the color with the indicator,
i watered with a high 7.5 ph (non balanced tap water) to
a point where it ran off, things are kinda the same at least
it didnt get much worse, i have 4 plants, two of them
are looking quite good, the little one is looking hot.
i took some more pictures for you,
last pictures is more with personal style goes to Seamaiden
for all the kind help , good karma heading your way ! :)

Pn1
Pn2
Pnmore1
Blueleaf1
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Plant #1, classic signs of overfeeding.

Plant #2, seems to want more food.

The purple-red stems are a sign of phosphorous problems, usually a deficiency. Next after the stems coloring up, if it gets worse, is that the leaves will die from the tips back.

ALL of these issues can possibly be tied back to pH being out of whack, because if nutrients are not made available within range then the plant simply cannot use them.

B

blueleaf

so how can it be that one plant is over-fed
and the other is under-fed ?
what feed regimen should i go after i finished watering (only) ?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Different lines (strains) have different requirements and needs. Sometimes vastly differing. That's why it's so important to learn how to read the plants and see what they're telling you. Often, that's as much a process of elimination as anything else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom