New grower, not sure what I'm doing wrong. How do I save my girl?

• Thread starter thedonkey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

thedonkey

Howdy. I have some Blue Cheese Auto I'm growing in a 2x2 Spider Farmer setup, and one of my seedlings has really droopy leaves. It was in a solo cup with two big drainage holes in the bottom for 10 days, and I misted once a day in the morning. When I noticed drooping I skipped a day of watering and I aerated the soil with a pencil, 24 hours later I aerated again and did a "bottom water" (put cup in half inch of water so needed water soaked up) but it 's been 48 hours she's still droopy. The other plant looks amazing so it's really hard for me to understand what's going on.

Both plants hit 8 leaves yesterday, so I decided to move them to their 5-gallon fabric pots today in case the droopy girl is rootbound? They look VERY small in those big pots... I watered the potting soil without the plants yesterday so it's been drying out for 24 hours now, and I'll wait a couple days to water again I think.

Beyond the one being droopy, aren't these kinda small? I put them in soil 10 days ago. I've been keeping the light 4"-6" away per ILGM resources, so they haven't needed to grow very tall. Is this normal?

Other things that may be wrong... my timer on my heater has been super unreliable, coming on much more than it should. The plants have been exposed to 83-degree temps for significant time before I wake up / catch it. Again though, one is totally fine so I am confused...

New grower not sure what im doing wrong how do i save my girl
New grower not sure what im doing wrong how do i save my girl 2
jguit

jguit

Supporter
I can assure you that plant isn't/wasn't rootbound! haha. It does look to be a watering issue though. Did you fully saturate your entire pot until runoff? If so, it's probably much to wet. No way would a 5 gallon pot get anywhere near dry in 24 hours. You typically want to lightly water your big pots with seedlings until the roots get established. Honestly, I would have left a plant that small in a solo cup.

What kind of light are you using and how is it setup (dimmer, etc)? 4 - 6" is way too close if you're running LEDs at 100%. You're plants wont like this. Even dimmed that's more than likely too close unless you have it dimmed very low.

Last edited:
2Bad

2Bad

I can assure you that plant isn't/wasn't rootbound! haha. It does look to be a watering issue though. Did you fully saturate your entire pot until runoff? If so, it's probably much to wet. No way would a 5 gallon pot get anywhere near dry in 24 hours. You typically want to lightly water your big pots with seedlings until the roots get established. Honestly, I would have left a plant that small in a solo cup.

What kind of light are you using and how is it setp (dimmer, etc)? 4 - 6" is way too close if you're running LEDs at 100%. You're plants wont like this. Even dimmed that's more than likely too close unless you have it dimmed very low.
Jguit is spot on he can def help you

T

thedonkey

What kind of light are you using and how is it setp (dimmer, etc)? 4 - 6" is way too close if you're running LEDs at 100%. You're plants wont like this. Even dimmed that's more than likely too close unless you have it dimmed very low.

Thank you, this is super helpful. I did not even pour water directly in, much less fully saturate. I pre-watered with 6.2 pH tap and aerated the soil 24 hours before planting sprouted seeds, then spray bottle misted 5-10 sprays every morning. Only time I deviated was after I noticed drooping, when I tried the "bottom up" watering method (cups sat in 1/2 inch water for one minute) once, this morning.

I am using the Samsung LM301D LED lights (100W actual output, 70-100% on the dimmer). I was following ILGM "Grow Bible" setting the lights up that close, but it did seem awful close to me. I think I'm going to stop following that to the letter... I'm going to bullet these questions:
  • In the new 5-gallons they're 12"ish away, does that seem right?
  • I guess I moved these early, should I leave them in these big pots now that it's done?
  • I'm thinking of watering Wednesday PM, and using nutes for the first time (FoxFarm Big Grow)? I did not water after transplanting a few hours ago 12/20, as I said I pre-watered yesterday and soil was damp but drying today when I put the girls in.
  • Should I roll with these plants or just re-germinate? Not sure what the longterm effects of this kinda start are...
Again-- THANK YOU.

EDIT: Added info, formatting

Last edited:
jguit

jguit

Supporter
I'm not familiar with that exact light but if you're not dimming it, raise it up to at least 24" and see if the seedling looks any better tomorrow.

If you're sure the 5 gallon container is not fully saturated and only damp, you can leave it in there but if you havent grown before it might be tough to learn how to properly water cannabis in a pot that big. Plus, your idea of damp might be different than mine. The problem is, if your plants are too small and if you overwatered in a container that big, it'll take forever for your container to dry to any reasonable level.

If your confident that the soil is only damp and not saturated, you can proceed with caution. It wouldn't need to be watered for quite a while. Personally, since this is your first grow (?) i'd put it in a smaller container just to be safe. Do you have something a little bit bigger than the solo cup it was originally in? I'd try not to disturb the seedling too much if you decide to transplant to a smaller container.

What are you growing in soil or soil-less mix? I'm not a soil grower but if you're growing in soil you definitely don't need to feed it yet.

I'm not familiar with the ILGM Grow bible but if they're saying to keep a light 4 - 6" away from seedlings, i'm assuming they meant a fluorescent style light.

I wouldnt count these seedlings out yet. Roll with it and see if you can save her. I've seen seedlings in much worse condition make a rebound.

* edit * - In a tent your size and a light that small, you dont need a 5 gallon container. Perhaps think about using a 2 gallon container?

Last edited:
PK1

PK1

Supporter
I bet your method of watering is wrong. Don't water it for the next few days and don't mist it. Cannabis plants don't mind more dry soil vs too wet of soil. You also don't need to water to run off since the plant root are as big as it self.
put your light at 3ft away from the seedling and put the intensity at 0%

if your heater has a temp setting put it at 25c/78f and try to get the temps to around 50/60%

What is your water resource, ph, ec?
What is your soil?

T

thedonkey

Jguit-

Man, yes. Thank you. It's good to know she can be salvaged. I just raised up the lights to 24", and I'll get the smaller bags tomorrow. These out-of-the-box instructions are not doing me too well. I'm going to read up on everything here.

PK1-

Got it, I raised and to 24" I will dim as well. I'm using good city water that starts out at 6.8pH, which I tick down to 6.0-6.5. I've been using the FoxFarms potting soil, and I haven't used any nutrients yet. My heater does not have a temp setting because I was high when I bought it, but I can work those temperatures with what I have and work on getting one with a temp setting ASAP.

Big thanks, all. I'm a simple man. I get a shiny PDF with instructions with my order, I follow it to the letter. Looks like it was way off for my equipment. I'm pulling for these (very) little guys, but either way I know exactly what to do differently next time. It's funny as hell looking at all the photos on here of people with fully flowering plants, grow rooms, etc. and here I am with two wimpy sprouts in a 5-gallon bucket 😂

Last edited:
jguit

jguit

Supporter
We all start somewhere and the best way to learn is to fuck shit up. I can't even count the amount of stupid shit i've done in the growroom and still do on occasion. You'll be growing some serious buds before you know it!

PK1

PK1

Supporter
Jguit-

Man, yes. Thank you. It's good to know she can be salvaged. I just raised up the lights to 24", and I'll get the smaller bags tomorrow. These out-of-the-box instructions are not doing me too well. I'm going to read up on everything here.

PK1-

Got it, I raised and to 24" I will dim as well. I'm using good city water that starts out at 6.8pH, which I tick down to 6.0-6.5. I've been using the FoxFarms potting soil, and I haven't used any nutrients yet. My heater does not have a temp setting because I was high when I bought it, but I can work those temperatures with what I have and work on getting one with a temp setting ASAP.

Big thanks, all. I'm a simple man. I get a shiny PDF with instructions with my order, I follow it to the letter. Looks like it was way off for my equipment. I'm pulling for these (very) little guys, but either way I know exactly what to do differently next time. It's funny as hell looking at all the photos on here of people with fully flowering plants, grow rooms, etc. and here I am with two wimpy sprouts in a 5-gallon bucket 😂
don't worry, you can get these girls to flower and be laughing!
If your water ph is at 6.8 and you are using FoxFarm then you don't need to ph your water. You need to find out what the ec/ppm of that water is but for now just water them when you stick your middle finger all the way into the soil and its semi dry.

T

thedonkey

Not sure if it matters now, but since y'all were so helpful despite me giving virtually no information I figure I should probably meet the basic expectations you've posted everywhere. Really appreciate it.

SOIL GROW

Strain - Blue Cheese Auto
Number of Plants - 2 (probably will do 3-4 seedlings next time and then transplant best 2?)
Grow Stage - Seedling
Bucket Size - recently transferred from solo cup to 5-gallon cotton pot, will soon transfer to 2-gallon pot
Lights - Samsung LED 100W, previously 4" and 70-100% but now 24" and 50% dim.
Nutrients - None
Medium - 100% FoxFarm
PPM - ?
PH - 6.2
Humidity- 35%-70% (working on locking this in)
Room Temperature - 68 - 83 (got this contained on the top end, settling into 70-77)
Solution Temperature - 50-65 F
Room Square Footage - 2x2'
Pests - Unknown

PK1

PK1

Supporter
i wouldn't move it to a 2gallon pot from a 5gallon. If anything put some holes in a clear cup and then fill it 3/4 of it with soil. Than with three fingers dig under the seedling and grab it with the soil that comes with it and put it in the clear cup. Now put that cup into the 5gallon fiber pot and just water the cup until transplant day.

at your stage 2 gallon or 5 gallon. their all to big if you don't fully understand watering methods.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
at your stage 2 gallon or 5 gallon. their all to big if you don't fully understand watering methods.
His tent is TINY.. No need for a 5 gallon, IMHO.. Aint growing a tree in there! haha

• Haha
Reactions: PK1
PK1

PK1

Supporter
His tent is TINY.. No need for a 5 gallon, IMHO.. Aint growing a tree in there! haha
that depends on how much he veges for and trains them. i found the 5 gallons being perfect for photoperiods as i vegged them longer for training purposes. i also didn't have to water it as often and that was a bonus. specially in flower lol!

PK1

PK1

Supporter
Not sure if it matters now, but since y'all were so helpful despite me giving virtually no information I figure I should probably meet the basic expectations you've posted everywhere. Really appreciate it.

SOIL GROW

Strain - Blue Cheese Auto
Number of Plants - 2 (probably will do 3-4 seedlings next time and then transplant best 2?)
Grow Stage - Seedling
Bucket Size - recently transferred from solo cup to 5-gallon cotton pot, will soon transfer to 2-gallon pot
Lights - Samsung LED 100W, previously 4" and 70-100% but now 24" and 50% dim.
Nutrients - None
Medium - 100% FoxFarm
PPM - ?
PH - 6.2
Humidity- 35%-70% (working on locking this in)
Room Temperature - 68 - 83 (got this contained on the top end, settling into 70-77)
Solution Temperature - 50-65 F
Room Square Footage - 2x2'
Pests - Unknown
the reason for 3ft at 0 intensity is to allow the seedling to rejuvenate. 24" at 50% is still to much

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

If you really want to save your seedling.

Fill a 4" African violet pot with your potting mix. Lots of stone in the bottom. Soak it good with room temp water.
Transplant the seedling into the 4" pot asap. Put a clear glass over the seedling for 24 hours.
Keep the seedling moist and in dappled light for 2 days. Check it in the am and again in the pm every day.
Boil a couple of eggs. Eat the eggs and save the water. Add fresh water to the cooled egg water until you have approximately 1 L. Add 1/4 tsp of Epsom salts to the cooled egg water. This is Calcium and Magnesium. Water the seedling with this water until it is used up.

After 2 days sitting in a shady corner.
Light 5000 to 6500k <--- is better. 14hrs on 10 hrs off.
Do not feed the seedling you will kill it. There is plenty of NPK in the potting soil to get the plant established. At least for the next 30 days. After that give it 1/2 strength. What ever fertilizer you want to use every 2 weeks.

Grab your smart phone and download the Lux app at the download store.
You want no more than 1800 lux of light on that seedling for the next 2 weeks. Then bump it up a bit 2,000 lux maybe a little higher.
You will be able to bump the light up a little at a time as the plant gets growing.

It is important that you do not give the seedling July and August sun during it's early to mid May stage of life.
Do not let the plant get above 75 deg F for the next 30 days.
When the plant is getting pot bound in the 4" pot, then move it back into the bag. Not before.
When the plant is established in the big pot continue 1/2 strength fertilizer.
Good old hardware store Pro Mix 12-6-6 is great for younger plants and is easy to use.
It's easy to measure. 1/2 strength won't burn your plant but has enough NPK that the plant will thrive.
Add a little Egg water, and Epsom Salts and the plant will be very happy indeed.
Don't push!

I have had great grows using Promix 12/6/6 for veg and about the 2nd week of July when the plant starts changing.
Switch to Promix 5/15/5 until 2 weeks before harvest, then only water to finish her up.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
that depends on how much he veges for and trains them. i found the 5 gallons being perfect for photoperiods as i vegged them longer for training purposes. i also didn't have to water it as often and that was a bonus. specially in flower lol!
Trial by fire! 🤟🤪

• Haha
T

thedonkey

I'll raise it to 3 feet and cut the dim to near nothing PK1, sounds good. I'll grab some clear cups tomorrow, too. Not sure if I have the skill for Imzadduae's method (I definitely don't 😂), but if these don't rebound at least I know exactly what went wrong, it's completely preventable, and I got more seeds! I also ordered a humidifier and a heater you can set, instead of trying to manage it with household appliances and creative venting 😅... lots of learning on this first grow... maybe next time I won't put the sun on top of them, see how it goes.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
I'll raise it to 3 feet and cut the dim to near nothing PK1, sounds good. I'll grab some clear cups tomorrow, too. Not sure if I have the skill for Imzadduae's method (I definitely don't 😂), but if these don't rebound at least I know exactly what went wrong, it's completely preventable, and I got more seeds! I also ordered a humidifier and a heater you can set, instead of trying to manage it with household appliances and creative venting 😅... lots of learning on this first grow... maybe next time I won't put the sun on top of them, see how it goes.
we gona be playing with the light intensity soon. I just need a update picture when you have done everything so i can see what else is going on

T

thedonkey

we gona be playing with the light intensity soon. I just need a update picture when you have done everything so i can see what else is going on
Update photos are in... man I wish you coulda seen the original setup I had, but I don't have any photos. I was trying to get this crazy 4" distance but couldn't get the lights down that low, so I brought the plants up instead... with a red mini-cooler stacked on top of a neon-green milk crate. Just a simple man with a good but somewhat-skeptical wife, trying to secure my own supply, crisping my babies with high-beam LEDs and random household appliances 😜

Dim is all the way down at 0% now. Proper temp/humidity equipment is in the mail. Fan is no longer blowing into the back of the humidifier as pictured.

20211220 204857
20211220 204801
20211220 204817

Top Bottom