New grower, not sure what I'm doing wrong. How do I save my girl?

• Thread starter thedonkey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PK1

PK1

Supporter
are you sure that picture is taken when the intensity was down? that looks like to much light

PK1

PK1

Supporter
Yep, that was all the way down...
lol, raise the light as much as you can then cuz that is too much light. Not sure what type of phone you have but on iphone download photone and follow the app. essentially you want a white paper on top of the phone camera. I tape the white paper to it and to the phone and i check the lux. Tell me what it is at. On android phones i dnt know what app to get but im sure you can find one.

grnmtn

grnmtn

When in sprout stage the less you do and think about things the better, providing you have all environmental factors dialed in.

Couple drops of water and you should be all set.

alanmac101

alanmac101

I can assure you that plant isn't/wasn't rootbound! haha. It does look to be a watering issue though. Did you fully saturate your entire pot until runoff? If so, it's probably much to wet. No way would a 5 gallon pot get anywhere near dry in 24 hours. You typically want to lightly water your big pots with seedlings until the roots get established. Honestly, I would have left a plant that small in a solo cup.

What kind of light are you using and how is it setup (dimmer, etc)? 4 - 6" is way too close if you're running LEDs at 100%. You're plants wont like this. Even dimmed that's more than likely too close unless you have it dimmed very low.
i wouldnt have transplanted em with this issue in fact i would have put them in theyre forever pot tbh just my opinion bud. DEFO NOT rootbound at this stage lay OFF the water for a few days let em NEED it ...timer issuse ? simple get a new one.. gd luck man...

T

thedonkey

lol, raise the light as much as you can then cuz that is too much light. Not sure what type of phone you have but on iphone download photone and follow the app. essentially you want a white paper on top of the phone camera. I tape the white paper to it and to the phone and i check the lux. Tell me what it is at. On android phones i dnt know what app to get but im sure you can find one.
Shit, that was a journey lol. I had no idea how to even begin calibrating to get a valid reading but figuring it out taught me a lot about my equipment, which frankly I didn't know. I bought a kit because I didn't know shit.

Anyways, I tried to figure out how to properly calibrate the Lux app, but it was difficult. These are my lights. The PAR map caps at 18" above the plants, but mine are at 36" as you suggested. At 18", the PAR value is 500-550. Using this value to calibrate gives me a Lux reading of 1280. However, since the lights are actually twice that high, my ignorant gut instinct is that it's closer to half of 1280 (640), or even less. The PAR dropoff from 12" to 14" to 18" is not linear, and I suspect the dropoff would stay in a J-curve as you go up to 36". But I'm just a guy who bought a tent kit and put the full force of the fucking sun 4" from germinating seedlings so I'm really spitballing here.

T

thedonkey

i wouldnt have transplanted em with this issue in fact i would have put them in theyre forever pot tbh just my opinion bud. DEFO NOT rootbound at this stage lay OFF the water for a few days let em NEED it ...timer issuse ? simple get a new one.. gd luck man...
Thanks for your suggestions. I realized I'm an idiot and don't need to control heat with a timer like a fucking Christmas dad, but rather use a half-decent heater that you can set at a certain temp. Same with humidity. We can call this the Christmas dad grow, honestly. The number of unsuitable household appliances involved here is embarrassing. I bought some proper gear and will be ready to do better next time with the knowledge from my mistakes.

T

thedonkey

When in sprout stage the less you do and think about things the better, providing you have all environmental factors dialed in.

Couple drops of water and you should be all set.

Yep, that's been the key lesson here. I was using shitty household appliances to maintain my environment, and I subjected my poor babies to all sorts of shock and trauma trying to maintain a stable environment with them. My wife wants countertops, a new backyard, all sorts of shit, so I tried to cut a few corners on things like the heater and humidifier to keep the price tag low. I ordered proper gear and now I will be able to provide a consistent environment that I can leave the hell alone, especially during germination.

Latest posts

Top Bottom