New guy help and opions...

• Thread starter williamyoyo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

williamyoyo

Hey fellas Im about to soon start my grow I have odered all my stuff just waiting on it all to get here... heres a list of what I have coming.....

Just bought sannies fem mix pack on sunday and also odered my LED Wholesalers GYO1009 60-Inch x 48-Inch x 24-Inch Mylar Reflective Hydroponic Grow Tent
and a 400 watt Grow Light with Four Sided Horizontal Reflector
High Output High Pressure Sodium Bulb
High Output Metal Halide Conversion Bulb
Heavy Duty Timer
Pair of High Low Reflector Hangers
100% ORGANIC ADVANCED NUTRIENTS IGUANA JUICE by Dr. Hornby!
Advanced Nutrients OVERDRIVE Ultra Premium Liquid Flower Enhancer
1.5 cubic feet 100% ORGANIC FOXFARM Ocean Forest Potting Soil
9 TWO GALLON Grow Bags
Thermometer / Hygrometer

I also am getting a ph meter and a fan to move the air and keep it cool... my question is.. Is there any thing im missing or havent thought about? Is this stuff im using any good? Money was tight and this was about the cheapest set up i could find. Any help or opions and do's and dont's of growing would be great thanks... Will

J

Jalisco Kid

I would look at 50w/sq' on your lighting. Bigger containers for dirt,might get by if using coir. You have missed out on a lot but you have sannies gear and enough passion to get started.The rest you will pick up on.
Less is better and never assume. JK

K

Kief Stoned

2 words.. CARBON FILTER

well, and a few more words.. You will need at least a 150-200CFM ( not one of those cheap "booster" fans ) 4 inch inline fan ( see link for details > ) and some 4 inch ducting to exhaust that hot air and to pull in fresh cool air to keep it below 85f in that small tent with that 400W hps.. If you do Ebay you can get one for around 60.00 total.. An inline fan,some 4 inch duct line,aluminum foil tape and ( if security is AT ALL an issue ) a 4 inch carbon filter ( around 50.00 on ebay ) is going to be a MUST have.. If I were you I wouldnt even start the seeds untill you at least get the fan and duct line or else you run the risk of the seedlings dying from being too hot in there.. The Carbon Filter can wait a few weeks as the plants wont smell untill at least 2 - 3 weeks.. Thats my advice.. I think its pretty good advice.

W

williamyoyo

Thanks guys for the help.. yea keif I was guying to buy a inline fan and the ducting but ran out of money... So i might have to wait until next week to get it. I was going to do a test run with the light on and tent closed with just my little fan and check the tems... I really really dont want to kill my lil babies... when i get them started. Do you guys have any tips on germation.. I know the paper towel method but im really scared of them not sproting... any tips on that? Thanks for all the help guys... Will

D

DazedNconfussed

Thanks guys for the help.. yea keif I was guying to buy a inline fan and the ducting but ran out of money... So i might have to wait until next week to get it. I was going to do a test run with the light on and tent closed with just my little fan and check the tems... I really really dont want to kill my lil babies... when i get them started. Do you guys have any tips on germation.. I know the paper towel method but im really scared of them not sproting... any tips on that? Thanks for all the help guys... Will

I use the paper towel method all the time...the key with it it to keep the paper towel from drying out, and also dont leave them drenched...just keep the paper towel nice and damp...inside a ziplock plastic type bag to keep the moisture. Also a keep them in a warm spot (around 85) if you can.

Or you could just go oldschool...lol...just toss them in a dixecup full of seedling soil about 1/2" deep and keep the soil moist....make sure to poke some holes in the bottom to let the water drain.

J

Jalisco Kid

I soak my seeds overnight until they sink.Then into brown coffee filter paper. JK

K

Kief Stoned

I posted my germ method in another thread a few days ago.. Ill copy/paste it below.. Glad to hear you already planned on gettitng the fan and duct to vent that heat because you will most definately need it. I thought I wouldnt need one either on my first grow and I had the same set up as you.. A 2x4x6 tent with a 400W HPS ( cooltube ) and a circulating fan for inside.. But I found out within 1 hour that with the tent closed and the light on even with my corculating fan inside that temps QUICKLY rose to 100F and higher.. Now, you can probably get away with leaving the tent unzipped and have the circulating fan blowing cool air into the tent with it open as this will force the hot air out as well as bring in some cool air and will get you by for a week or so untill you can afford to buy the inline fan and duct line.. But make sure to buy it as soon as possible before your plants get too old and start to smell because leaving the tent open wont be an option. Even if your grow is legal I would still not advise leaving the tent open if you can help it because bugs will have easier access to your plants as well. So do yourself a big favor and get that inline fan and ductline as soon as you can... ANd I HIGHLY suggest a carbon filter also.. Anyway, heres my germination method.. It never fails me and I have developed it over many years of trial and error.

Heres my method. Tried and true. I get 90 -100% success every time. Would prolly be 100% everytime if all seeds were viable to start with...Sometimes 1 or 2 outta ten wont germ but its likely that is was the seeds and not my method..

1. Soak seeds in solo cup with tap water for 12 hours.
2.Wet paper towels with warm to hot tap water by running the water over a hand and then letting some drip onto the paper towels.This keeps me from getting the paper towels too wet.
3-a. Make 6 layers of PT ( Paper Towel ) for the bottom and only 1 layer for covering the seeds. I feel that this will allow them to get airflow and also keep them from drowning or rotting/turning black before they pop.I had much much better results when only using a single layers of PT to cover the seeds than I ever did using multiple layer as top cover.
3-b. Remove from water and place in paper towels. The brand I use is Bounty all white.
4. Drip a little more hot ( not too hot, but very warm/hot ) water onto the seeds and top PT layer also.
5. Place into a ziplock baggie and trap some air in the baggie before closing.
6. Place on top of my TV ( old style "tube" 32 inch TV.. It gets pretty warm on the top. This is random from person to person so find spot ( top of cable modem,TV etc etc ) that gets warm but not too warm or hot. You will ruin the seeds if they get too hot. DO NOT use the top of a floor heating vent in your house , lol. I did this my first grow and ruined the seeds haha. Just find a place that keeps them at a steady temp around 80f-95f.
7. I check them daily and drip a little more real warm water on them. After 2 days, change the paper towels out for fresh PT's.

I always get tails this long " ___ " and longer well within 36 hours. Most of the time the seeds will pop and grow tails that long within 48 hours but there are always a few stragglers that take a little longer. Just make sure the PT's are not too wet. They dont need to be soaking wet because the sealed ziplock baggie will create a 100% humidity enviroment anyway and if there too wet the seeds will just drown or rot..

This method is just the way I do it. I'm not saying its the best/only way. But it works for me.

GL

W

williamyoyo

awesome guys thanks for all the help... I fell a lil better about germating now.. still a little scared though. Do you guys know if the nuets i got are any good... it all came in a kit for 250 dollars... everything execpt the tent. Is there anything else as far a nuets go that I might need? Or as a new guy and ths being my first time is what I got good enough. Thanks for all the help. Will

K

Kief Stoned

I havent used those brands of nutes. I have always used the Fox Farm line ( Grow Big and Tiger Bloom ) along with suppliments like cal mag etc.. Let me guess, you bought the kit from High Tech Garden Supply ( HTGSupply ) ? Im sure others will chime in and give there opinions on those nutes but I cant really say but I have heard of them before.

W

williamyoyo

yep thats were i got it from.. hopefully everything will work out good and i can smoke so of my on weed... i was paying 120 a oz for scwhagg that was half seeds for most of the time that ive been smoking... i live in smaller size town. You can buy a lil bit better wied here to but thats if you want to pay 40 dollars a gram. Im tired of that ready to grow my own.. so as long as this set up can grow out these sannies seeds that ive heard so much about.. ill be the happiest guy in the world.

K

Kief Stoned

yep thats were i got it from.. hopefully everything will work out good and i can smoke so of my on weed... i was paying 120 a oz for scwhagg that was half seeds for most of the time that ive been smoking... i live in smaller size town. You can buy a lil bit better wied here to but thats if you want to pay 40 dollars a gram. Im tired of that ready to grow my own.. so as long as this set up can grow out these sannies seeds that ive heard so much about.. ill be the happiest guy in the world.

I was in the exact same situation as you my friend. I feel your pain and totally feel where your coming from and your reason for wanting to grow your own meds.Because its the exact same reason I started growing my own. Im sure you will be fine. These forums are a wealth of information so all you have to do if your not sure of something is ask and you will get the answers you need to become a greenthumb in no time. Just ALWAYS follow these 3 rules and you will never have anything to worry about..

1. NO SMELL
2. NO TELL
3. NO SELL

Good luck and get them babies going!! :time

W

williamyoyo

Oh yea I cant wait... Good tips... Im a private person I dont like peple being in my buiness.. also another reason why I decied to grow myself because I hated dealing with my gang member weed man. I smoke for medical reasons and dont feel like smoking marjuina is a crime, so dealing with someone like that is not cool. Now I can do it at home were the only people that know are me and my wife and you guys.

Top Bottom