New here and Need some Opinions

• Thread starter Ihavenoideawhatimdoing
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

Ihavenoideawhatimdoing

Hello all,
New member here and also, new at indoor.
I’m about end week 5 in flower on some true Durban from South Africa. I started with 6 and ended up with 2 females, which are in the same tent together.
Grow medium is 707 soil, and light bytes are bio Flores fed once every 2 watering sat .5ml per gallon. PH’d at 6.2 RO after nutes.

Just would like an opinion from experienced growers on why the buds are super thin and skinny. I thought it may be from too much light. So I backed off the intensity to setting 8.

The pistals are turning brown and falling out all over the plants, which I haven’t seen before. The leaf tips are burnt black and are dry and crumbly, and the buds on some of the branches are just super thin and airy.

These plants were flipped at 13 inches tall, now they’re around 5 foot in the tent, which is typical for DP from my past outdoor experience.

Setup is AC tent with 120W led.
Temp around 80 average with humidity around 45-50 average.

Any thoughts would be appreciated as this is my first indoor grow of DP, and I was worried at first as my plants outdoors are usually 12-15 ft tall so I knew it was a risk indoors.

New here and need some opinions
New here and need some opinions 2
New here and need some opinions 3
New here and need some opinions 4
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Well, you hit the genetics jackpot! That looks like a true Durban to me.

It's too late this time, but for next time there are lots of ways to bend that plant to your desires. For example, a blue leaning spectrum will keep them shorter. Cropping helps too.

The buds look a bit airy, dropping temps a bit might help that.

I

Ihavenoideawhatimdoing

Well, you hit the genetics jackpot! That looks like a true Durban to me.

It's too late this time, but for next time there are lots of ways to bend that plant to your desires. For example, a blue leaning spectrum will keep them shorter. Cropping helps too.

The buds look a bit airy, dropping temps a bit might help that.
Thanks for the reply. Believe it or not these have been topped 3 times, and also LST for first 4 weeks. Reason I took them off was they had a terrible tendency of not turning to the light as quick as other strains so they were outgrowing the tent laterally. So I gave up. I did try some HST on a few of the mains, and that failed too as they just went right back to vertical.

I will try to lower the temps a bit and see how it takes, I’ve just never seen pistals fall out all over the plant randomly, when there isn’t any major health concerns that are vis.

Yea the seeds are true, and I’m very lucky to have had them passed on to me.

I

Ihavenoideawhatimdoing

.5ml or 5ml? .5 is nothing-5ml sounds ok. I'd check for light leaks and give 13hrs dark.
They’re on a 13/11 now for past week. Seems to have helped the vertical slow a tad.

.5 OZ for the BIO Flores is what’s recommended per gallon as per the instructions on back of bottle, sorry I apologize for the type. I’m doing .5 OZ.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Thanks for the reply. Believe it or not these have been topped 3 times, and also LST for first 4 weeks. Reason I took them off was they had a terrible tendency of not turning to the light as quick as other strains so they were outgrowing the tent laterally. So I gave up. I did try some HST on a few of the mains, and that failed too as they just went right back to vertical.

I will try to lower the temps a bit and see how it takes, I’ve just never seen pistals fall out all over the plant randomly, when there isn’t any major health concerns that are vis.

Yea the seeds are true, and I’m very lucky to have had them passed on to me.
I just started up some IBL durban. Those landraces can be a handful for sure. They don't conform to what we typically see from hybrids.

I

Ihavenoideawhatimdoing

I just started up some IBL durban. Those landraces can be a handful for sure. They don't conform to what we typically see from hybrids.
Absolutley, they’re a trick in their own, which was why i was nervous about doing them
I’m the tent, cause they truly prefer outdoors to thrive. In face here is an outdoor DP I started only 48 days ago from seed.
As you can see, it’s a lot “healthier” than my indoor plants in terms of structure and appearance, even tho it’s not as far along into flower.

5585723A 41B3 4BFA B856 E9BBB99E3D0B
353F8F93 FE6B 4E39 8BFF FD3673A87E45
I

Ihavenoideawhatimdoing

Here are some more photos of the indoor plants struggle. Quite confusing to me, but all bets are off with landrace types.

Any pro insight would be appreciated. As I stated before. New to indoor, but the things I’m seeing on these 2 girls is unlike anything I’ve seen before on my outdoor grows.

My honest best guess? Too much light intensity. Cause to me it looks like foxtailing ish type buds. But the dying pistals falling out has me stumped. No pollination that’s 100% for sure, fans low and not direct, maybe trauma from touching trellis? Or my arms brushing them to adjust trellis? No clue.

973B6F00 FD27 486A 914A 6CF3BE117257
C37AD7B7 96F1 4310 BA06 5FEFE26F68C1
BA39327D 6BE3 4AAC B099 04EC5C40A0A1
4671A6D0 9787 43C5 8B07 DA7A45E14898
3F858BB0 BC1F 4159 88A5 EA061E0FEC93
I

Ihavenoideawhatimdoing

Does anyone have any insight to the pistals turning brown and falling out? This still has 6+ weeks to go as it’s a very long flower.

I

Ihavenoideawhatimdoing

Is there a fan blowing right on the part with dark pistils?
No, the fan is constantly moving, on a 30 on 30 off cycle and blows above the plants to the light and bounces back down the tent. I never have a fan blowing directly on the plants.

I

Ihavenoideawhatimdoing

As you can see in the photos, the leaf tips have turned black and are very dry, which to me is indicative of nute burn, but I just don’t see how as it’s been very minimal feeding. Unless the PH has been messed up somehow, but it’s been on RO water since birth with nutes to a range of 6.2ish. Runoff is always 7.2+ as my medium being all organic and such has a strong buffering to it. But the plants have only started to show these issues in the past 2 weeks, first weeks of flower were just fine. I’m not too concerned about the airy buds currently as they still have a long way to go being a pure DP, but I’ve never seen the pistals die off and fall out globally. Sporadically. I’m gonna say light stress and or something with the nutes I’m missing.

J.dub

J.dub

What's your RH at, and is it steady? SA is a very dry country, and those genetics you have -- like a lot of landraces -- while amazing, are notoriously finicky, and make for difficult grows indoors. If your RH is too high, or all over the place, that -- combined with too much heat and/or light intensity -- could be at the heart of your issue. I personally would not do anything differently on the nute end, as least not yet -- too many variables to mess with at one time. I would say to get RH and light/heat thing corrected first, and give it a little time. That'd be my move, anyway.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

My guess is that it was pollinated. Can you do a little surgical research on a swollen bract that was one of the first to drop the pistil?

I

Ihavenoideawhatimdoing

What's your RH at, and is it steady? SA is a very dry country, and those genetics you have -- like a lot of landraces -- while amazing, are notoriously finicky, and make for difficult grows indoors. If your RH is too high, or all over the place, that -- combined with too much heat and/or light intensity -- could be at the heart of your issue. I personally would not do anything differently on the nute end, as least not yet -- too many variables to mess with at one time. I would say to get RH and light/heat thing corrected first, and give it a little time. That'd be my move, anyway.
The only thing thats not crazy constant is the RH as it swings from 45-60, but this isn’t that drastic as the VPD is relatively constant in the 1.4-1.5 range.
I’ll see what I can do to get the RH more stable. Might but small humidifier, but it’s been the same since birth.

I

Ihavenoideawhatimdoing

My guess is that it was pollinated. Can you do a little surgical research on a swollen bract that was one of the first to drop the pistil?
I can do that, but I don’t see how this is possible at all since the males were culled way before the flowers even got close to dropping pol. There are no others males and just no way they could get pollinated.

J.dub

J.dub

The only thing thats not crazy constant is the RH as it swings from 45-60, but this isn’t that drastic as the VPD is relatively constant in the 1.4-1.5 range.
I’ll see what I can do to get the RH more stable. Might but small humidifier, but it’s been the same since birth.
That's good that the VPD is steady, but yeah, getting the RH dialed in may help. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Hello all,
New member here and also, new at indoor.
I’m about end week 5 in flower on some true Durban from South Africa. I started with 6 and ended up with 2 females, which are in the same tent together.
Grow medium is 707 soil, and light bytes are bio Flores fed once every 2 watering sat .5ml per gallon. PH’d at 6.2 RO after nutes.

Just would like an opinion from experienced growers on why the buds are super thin and skinny. I thought it may be from too much light. So I backed off the intensity to setting 8.

The pistals are turning brown and falling out all over the plants, which I haven’t seen before. The leaf tips are burnt black and are dry and crumbly, and the buds on some of the branches are just super thin and airy.

These plants were flipped at 13 inches tall, now they’re around 5 foot in the tent, which is typical for DP from my past outdoor experience.

Setup is AC tent with 120W led.
Temp around 80 average with humidity around 45-50 average.

Any thoughts would be appreciated as this is my first indoor grow of DP, and I was worried at first as my plants outdoors are usually 12-15 ft tall so I knew it was a risk indoors.
Nature of the beast maybe. I bet it would like more light for thick buds ,here's a tropical one attached. I like growing them because they can have a good and unique high you're not likely to find in mainstream,bag appeal don't mean shit to me,I want a wicked psychoactive,energetic effect. You never know it might be satisfying mentally.

20210102 221419
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Nature of the beast maybe. I bet it would like more light for thick buds ,here's a tropical one attached. I like growing them because they can have a good and unique high you're not likely to find in mainstream,bag appeal don't mean shit to me,I want a wicked psychoactive,energetic effect. You never know it might be satisfying mentally.
^^^^THIS

I

Ihavenoideawhatimdoing

Well, here’s the news.
I did the surgery, and sure as heck, they’re pollinated. Pulled off 20, and found seeds starting in 8 of the 20. After digging further into the tent. I found 2 sacs that were hidden deep in the foliage. I guess both of these plants produced both sex’s and self pollinated themselves.

Disappointing, but not the end of the world. Thanks for the tips on the surgery, and I learned a lot, but is what it is at this point. I’ll finish them out, may still provide for a good smoke, although a little seedy.

I guess another question I have is will ever spot produce a seed now, or only the ones where the pollen touched?

I’ll have to bleach scrub the tent afterwards i imagine.

I have 2 others started which are “lambs breath”to take the place of these already in the big tent.

Top Bottom