New LED grow from 1000 hps

• Thread starter Aperkins1972
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aperkins1972

Aperkins1972

Hey everyone! I’m getting ready to switch from 1000 hps to Zion 720 LED’s. I’m looking for any advice that can help me with the transition. What do you run for nutrient ppm’s, temperature, Co2 and etc. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in Advance!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Well co2 will make a difference in all of it. Since you brought it up I'll go with co2. And assuming you meant the ion 720w fixture?

Light intensity should be measured imo instead of just height.

I run leaf tenp of 77-80f depending on the strain. This can range from 80-84f room temps.

Co2 ppm I start early veg with 600 working up to 1200 by mid to late veg and then back down to 600 after bud swelling is complete.

I run VPD minus 5-10% because of costs reduction to transpiration rates.

Ppm depends a lot on media and additives used. Typically hydro 600pm is about as high as I need and soiless 800ppm. Sometimes a touch higher depending on how hungry the strain is. If you run humidity at VPD levels you may find you need to up the ppm.

Under LED your going to have quite a bit more blue in the spectrum which is going to keep plants a little more squat than your used to. You all probably see a difference in bud structure but you should easily equal or surpass your yields with a HPS if you transition well.

The temps are the biggest hurdle to get used to so I suggest a cheap IR temp gun to take all the guess work out.

I'll leave it there. If ya have any more questions I'll do my best to answer.

Aperkins1972

Aperkins1972

Well co2 will make a difference in all of it. Since you brought it up I'll go with co2. And assuming you meant the ion 720w fixture?

I run leaf tenp of 77-80f depending on the strain. This can range from 80-84f room temps.

Co2 ppm I start early veg with 600 working up to 1200 by mid to late veg and then back down to 600 after bud swelling is complete.

Ppm depends a lot on media and additives used. Typically hydro 600pm is about as high as I need and soiless 800ppm. Sometimes a touch higher depending on how hungry the strain is. If you run humidity at VPD levels you may find you need to up the ppm.

Under LED your going to have quite a bit more blue in the spectrum which is going to keep plants a little more squat than your used to. You all probably see a difference in bud structure but you should easily equal or surpass your yields with a HPS if you transition well.

The temps are the biggest hurdle to get used to so I suggest a cheap IR temp gun to take all the guess work out.

Thank you!

Aperkins1972

Aperkins1972

Hey Aqua Man. What about the supplemental UV bulbs? When should I run them? I heard a couple of hours a day. Some say last 3 weeks. Thanks in advance!

BigCube

BigCube

I use uvb for the last 4 weeks. I've been playing with timing. I've done both 5 hours a day in the middle of the 12. And I've cycled hour on hour off for 10 hours in the middle of the 12.

I think the cycled uvb was better but havent had any tests done.

You should do well under that light if their par numbers are correct. 👍

Aperkins1972

Aperkins1972

I use uvb for the last 4 weeks. I've been playing with timing. I've done both 5 hours a day in the middle of the 12. And I've cycled hour on hour off for 10 hours in the middle of the 12.

I think the cycled uvb was better but havent had any tests done.

You should do well under that light if their par numbers are correct. 👍
Thank you!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hey Aqua Man. What about the supplemental UV bulbs? When should I run them? I heard a couple of hours a day. Some say last 3 weeks. Thanks in advance!
So this thread is a gold mine for UV its still a science in the works imo.

Aperkins1972

Aperkins1972

So this thread is a gold mine for UV its still a science in the works imo.

Thank you!

Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

What do you run for nutrient ppm’s
Your plants will eat more under leds, get ready to feed more.....also you must bump the Mg ppm to at least 80, were most nutrients mix have it around 40....get some epsom salts.
Also N and Ca needs a bump under bright led fixtures and co2!

Aperkins1972

Aperkins1972

Your plants will eat more under leds, get ready to feed more.....also you must bump the Mg ppm to at least 80, were most nutrients mix have it around 40....get some epsom salts.
Also N and Ca needs a bump under bright led fixtures and co2!
What nutrient ppm’s are u running at? How much epsom salt do you add? Thank you in advance!

Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

I used megacrop , now masterblend....around 600-700ppm....feed every watering ina mix of 30perlite-30coco-30peat-10ewc....and add every feed 2grams x gallon of Epsom salts...some powdered aminos and septic tanks enzymes
Each run i play with different levels of co2...this one1300ppm....never saw a difference as far as yield.....ranging from 800-1500 but sure they eat more at 1500ppm so i had to increase the dosage but didnt got any more weight....i run only clones..same two genetics since a bit more than a year...
Room is sealed but Really looking forward to build a vent system to resfresh a couple times the air at night...to increase oxigen...

Latest posts

Top Bottom