new microgrow in homemade box

• Thread starter mikeb437
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mikeb437

mikeb437

new microgrow in homemade box using t-5 setup w/pics

ok,, heres my first attempt at a grow in my homemade grow box. this is the link to my older thread from when i made my growbox. this is the unit i will be growing in!

mikeb437

mikeb437

since this is my first real grow, im going simple. besides, i dont know that much anyways.. as you can see in previous post, im using an 8 bulb t-5 setup.. the bulbs are 2 ft long. for my nutes im using dyna-gro products. i wasnt sure what to get and this is easy to use. im growing 3 - white widow's and 2 - l.a confidential's growing in rockwool cubes that i will hand feed everyday.

photo_3_3.JPG

mikeb437

mikeb437

here are my girls at 10 days old. growing from seeds so i wont know the sex till i flower them. so far, so good

crop_11-29-11_10_days_in.JPG
white_widow_10_days.JPG
crop_11-29-11_10_day_into_grow.JPG

mikeb437

mikeb437

sick baby

i was having a problem with 1 of my l.a confidentials.. i dont know if it was nute burn or too close to the lights but the leaves were all crunchy and wilted. and they were curling downward so i flushed it out and lowered it from the lights and now it seems better. thankyou to all of you that helped me out with that! this is a pic of the sick plant
photo_5_3.JPG
photo_1_5.JPG

mikeb437

mikeb437

16 days old..

ok,, my L.a confidential rebounded and is coming back to life!! has new growth at the top and i think shes all better. heres a pic of my baby's at 16 days old. im no pro but these baby's look beautiful!!! all the leaves are perfect and everything is looking good!
photo_1_6.JPG
photo_2_5.JPG
photo_1_6.JPG
photo_4_6.JPG
photo_3_2.JPG
photo_5_4.JPG

mikeb437

mikeb437

bad couple days!

photo_4_7.JPG
had a bad couple days here.. i either didnt water enough or i gave too many nutes but 2 of my plants were all wilted when i went to go water them yesterday. so what i did was flush them with some pure water. they seemed to recover today but there was definately damage done to the plant!! i got yellowing on the leaves and some funny lookin spots. there is new growth on top and the plants seem to be coming back.. heres some pics of the sick plants.. SHOULD I PULL THE SICK LEAVES FROM THE PLANT???

photo_2_6.JPG

mikeb437

mikeb437

anyways.. here is the garden at 3 weeks old. had a few problems here n there with 3 of my plants but everything is still alive and thriving now. i am concerned with the temps now. when i pick up a plant, i feel that the rockwool cube is somewhat cold to the touch.

photo52.JPG
photo_2_6.JPG
photo_4_7.JPG
photo_5_5.JPG
photo_1_8.JPG

mikeb437

mikeb437

week 4 ,,, going to 12/12 tonight.. pics included!!

this is my garden at 4 weeks old! everything is looking good. all my plants have weathered the storm from last week and now they are all doing good.the white widows are really taking off but the la confidentials are still short n bushy.. i bought a co2 bag and added it to the garden and ive seen massive growth over the last week.i highly recommend this product!! dont want the plants getting too big so im changing the lights tonight to 12/12 and starting the flowering stage. i also changed half of my t-5's to flowering bulbs. and i flushed them out today... this is my first grow so if im missing something, please tell me. i only recently learned i was suppose to flush them out once a week.

photo_7_4.JPG
photo_8_5.JPG
photo_9_3.JPG
photo_6_5.JPG
photo_10_3.JPG

G

Grow2BFree

Looks great man, big plants, very nice!!! Since you are doing very well, cut back on the nutes, they don't need quite so much when they are so dark green, allow them to use what they have in the leaves a bit.

One thing I learned about nutes a while ago is when they are dark green, cut back on the nutes, just give them water for a lil while, then add nutes slowly to prevent them from burning. I've burned my plants myself with both chem and organic nutes by going too strong, so I don't nute them anymore when they are really green.

A buddy of mine doing 1st hydro in rockwool burned his plants many times, until I finally convinced him to dilute the nutes, then they were fine, but in budding he still was too heavy on the nutes, and I KID YOU NOT, this bud looked good like hydro, full of crystals, but did NOT get you high, and when you would light the bowl it would spark and crackle and ignite itself and burn away.

Especially in late budding you want to flush or keep the nutes down. I always find the flavor to be 100% better when it doesn't have much nutes at harvest. I can't stand that fertilizer taste some bud gets, and I don't use miracle grow soil anymore for the same reason, the taste is bitter and harsh compared to properly flushed bud grown in better nutes. Since you are using hydro nutes, you can get it to taste very good when you flush.

mikeb437

mikeb437

Thanks grow2bfree. I will cut back a Bit on the nutes. And when I get to week 6 of flowering I will just go pure water till I harvest. New pics of the garden comin tomorrow.

mikeb437

mikeb437

week 5 pics 1 week into flowering..

here are my week 5 pics. i have vegged for 4 weeks and this is my first week into flowering. should be seeing a change soon and the sex should be determined withing the next few days or so. i have flushed over the past 2 days and im going to start on pure flowering nutes rather than a veg/flower nute mix. please comment on my post and tell me what you think... this is my first grow.

photo_3_4.JPG
photo_2_7.JPG
photo_1_9.JPG
photo_12_3.JPG
photo_11_4.JPG

mikeb437

mikeb437

Got 2 females out of the 5,, both l.a confidentials and 1 white widow were male,, sucks! Good news is my 2 bigger plants were female so hopefully I get a decent yield. Did some Lst on them too.

mikeb437

mikeb437

No Brian, this is my first grow so I just want to gain experience in growing some buds. I also want to test out the homemade carbon filter I made and get an idea of how many plants I can grow and what kinda odor they will have. I don't mind buying some more seeds when I'm ready to do this again. Besides,, I want something for all this hard work I've done and there's nothing better than harvesting some good smoke you grew yourself. And since this is my first time ,, I'm really excited about it!!!

mikeb437

mikeb437

week 6,, 2nd week into flowering

ok, definately got 2 females out of the 5 original plants. the buds are coming in really nice! i tied down the tops of the plants for some basic LST so hopefully the bottom shutes will start growing more. seems to be working.. i added a homemade carbon filter as well because i know this is gonna start smelling sooner or later... during the veg mode i could smell the plants growing.. dont know how to explain it but there was a distinct plant smell in the basement. since adding the homemade carbon filter there has been no odor whatsoever. and being there is only 2 plants budding,, im optimistic this will take care of any odors i will have in the future. anyhoots,, heres some pics of my 2 ladies.. please comment or give any advice!!

photo_5_6.JPG
photo_8_6.JPG
photo_7_5.JPG
photo_6_6.JPG
photo_5_6.JPG

mikeb437

mikeb437

my homemade carbon filter

i have a 4" hole coming out of my box for the exhaust. i found this ductwork at ace hardware for about 12 bux and sealed up all the cracks in it

filter31.JPG
filter21.JPG

then i bought some chicken wire from the home depot along with the carbon prefilter i wrapped the chicken wire around the bottom of the duct and tightened it. i made a basic cage out of the chicken wire then i sealed it with duct tape to force the air into the wire mesh.

photo_3_7.JPG
photo_2_10.JPG
photo_4_10.JPG

mikeb437

mikeb437

carbon filter attached to box..

i wrapped the carbon prefilter around the wire mesh on the filter i made and attached it with some velcro that came with the prefilter.. heres a pic of the homemade carbon filter attached to the box. we will see how it works...might be a good thing for us micro-growers!

photo_4_11.JPG

photo_3_8.JPG
photo_5_7.JPG

G

giantsfan24

I hate to be a party pooper but I haven't seen anyone build one of those homemade carbon filters that actually worked.

I built 3 or 4 of them in my first grow and was fighting odor the entire time. I was using the highest power computer fans, an oxymoron I know, that I could find to no avail.

For the money I spent on the "system" I could have easily done it right.

Sorry...I thought I'd say something rather than saying nothing. Nice plants you've got going though!!

Peace

Top Bottom