New old guy with a question....

• Thread starter Starbud67
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Starbud67

Starbud67

Hey everyone! Grew my first plants in my backyard more than 25 years ago. Not the greatest lol.

So here I am years later with some age and more disposable income and a yearning to learn. I started these Auto Northern Lights about 4 weeks ago. Coco/Perlite, 1000w spider farmer light in a 2’x 2’ grow tent.

all was going well till about a week ago when my girls started showing yellowing leaves. I am using Alaska Fish emulsion 1 tsp/gal every other watering. I cannot figure out what the cause is but am worried. It doesn’t look like N deficiency if I remember. Mg? Phosp? If I’m screwing something up let me know! ANY help would be appreciated.

looking forward to spending time here.

Bobby

Ponky

Ponky

You food may be inappropriate for that media. Coco is a hydroponic media. I think your food is a 5-1-1 designed to break down in a soil. And you wouldn't use it right away in soil. I think what you want is to flush thoroughly. And use Silica like Armor Si, some Cal Mag, and some basic 1 or 3 part hydroponic food. Powder or liquid.

Starbud67

Starbud67

Ponky,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I misunderstood Coco as I thought it was more of a mid point between full soil and say, Rock wool. Am I that wrong in that assumption? Would I be better off going back to a soil based system? Thanks!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff member
Supporter
as a reborn grower you probably should try a soilless or soil mix? it maybe a little easier to get back into the swing of things.. though there is so much great help here with all grow mediums that the growers here can help you all the way to the end, hopefully successful!
welcome to the farm and don’t instantly react to your plants from one reply wait to see if a few growers agree with each other about your concerns.

Ponky

Ponky

Ponky,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I misunderstood Coco as I thought it was more of a mid point between full soil and say, Rock wool. Am I that wrong in that assumption? Would I be better off going back to a soil based system? Thanks!
I would grab bales of promix. And Silica. Cal mag. And one part nutrients. And Kool bloom. Simple classic recipe

Texasbob

Texasbob

Hi Bobby, that is an auto flower that is starting to flower. Imo your issues are most likely from ph fluctuations. You should be between 5.5 and 6.2 for your ph and since you are starting to show signs of calyx development you should back off of the nitrogen. Northern Lights is a pretty forgiving strain so stay with it. Definitely look at starting a regiment of bloom nutrients. Good luck!

pop22

pop22

The ability of a medium to "hold on to" nutrient ions is rated on a scale called the Cation Exchange Capacity. the higher the number, the more nutrient is able to stick to the medium for the plants to access. Coco is a very poor retainer on nutrient ions and had a CEC of 1. soils vary bust can range from 25 to 100 with rich organic soils have-ing the highest CEC. This is why coco is used as a hydroponic medium, Is really just there for roots to anchor to, .and is why it is fed daily and even multiple times daily. Coco requires a fairly high amount of nutrients in the solution for this reason. Good organic soil should have most of what a plant needs already in it. Adding anything additional to it may not be necessary. Using liquid seaweed and other organic amendments is fine, but most people over do it. once every 2-3 weeks is plenty.

your best bet at this point is to start feeding a nutrient blend, suhc as Mega Crop. Insteading of flushing with plain water, your plants are already hungry, flush with a mild nutrient solution, 250-300 ppms.
Yes, this will also mean you'll need a ppm or EC meter and a PH meter. Avoid the cheap ones, or you'll regest it..... that's the voice of experience! Find a thread here on coco growing, it's a good place to start!

Ponky,

Starbud67

Starbud67

First off thanks to those who have offered suggestions! It’s much appreciated.

Current conditions in the closet are 76.80° F /70% humidity. My light is an SF1000 about 26” from the top of the plants and currently set at 70% power. I’m trying to find my kilowatt meter to see exactly what it’s drawing.

I picked up a bottle of Mega crop and dosed as suggested 2 days ago. I think part of my issue is with the fabric pots it seems like I’m having to add a tremendous amount of water to get runoff. again I’m a soil kid used to plastic pots lol.

The frustrating part is the growth seems good and the smell is already amazing, it just seems like I can’t lick this issue.

Thanks everyone!

pics as of this morning.

Starbud67

Starbud67

Using the Photone app, My IPhone 12 and a piece of velum it may be I was cooking my plants and had no idea. At roughly 70% output and 24” above the tallest plant I’m seeing PPFD readings of 1050-1170 from corners to center. Am I correct in assuming that may be a bit much? In hindsight I may have been hurting these poor plants since day one as I had them under the light at 50% since the day they broke through. 🤦🏼‍♂️. I’ve seen figures of 200-300 for seedlings, 500-600 for vegetative growth and 700-900 for flowering.

just to double check I am bringing home an Apogee par letter from work tonight.

Og_punkgenetics

Og_punkgenetics

Hey everyone! Grew my first plants in my backyard more than 25 years ago. Not the greatest lol.

So here I am years later with some age and more disposable income and a yearning to learn. I started these Auto Northern Lights about 4 weeks ago. Coco/Perlite, 1000w spider farmer light in a 2’x 2’ grow tent.

all was going well till about a week ago when my girls started showing yellowing leaves. I am using Alaska Fish emulsion 1 tsp/gal every other watering. I cannot figure out what the cause is but am worried. It doesn’t look like N deficiency if I remember. Mg? Phosp? If I’m screwing something up let me know! ANY help would be appreciated.

looking forward to spending time here.

Bobby
Curious if you are letting it dry all the way before you water again and what your feed water is PH'd at

Pondracer

Pondracer

You will get it figured out, that first run in coco is tricky. Sounds like you were growing back when I was growing before I started up again last year. The single biggest improvement I made to my plant health was automating the fertigation events. Same time, every day. Letting them dry out for any reason is very bad. Get a good, basic feeding chart. Log every time you mix for each phase. That makes it easier to mix. Mix in the right order, especially if you are using silicone. Get your ph right after you've added the silicone. Its funny me writing this, as its all knowledge I learned from this site :)

Ghosttrainx

Ghosttrainx

Looks like ph is down to low as I had this and my tester was had shit it's self as I had leaf curl up and leaf was ruff after a flush and low ec running so test your testers and calibrate it 👻🚂🤜🤛

Top Bottom