New old guy with a question....

• Thread starter Starbud67
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Starbud67

Starbud67

Hey everyone! Grew my first plants in my backyard more than 25 years ago. Not the greatest lol.

So here I am years later with some age and more disposable income and a yearning to learn. I started these Auto Northern Lights about 4 weeks ago. Coco/Perlite, 1000w spider farmer light in a 2’x 2’ grow tent.

all was going well till about a week ago when my girls started showing yellowing leaves. I am using Alaska Fish emulsion 1 tsp/gal every other watering. I cannot figure out what the cause is but am worried. It doesn’t look like N deficiency if I remember. Mg? Phosp? If I’m screwing something up let me know! ANY help would be appreciated.

looking forward to spending time here.

Bobby

New old guy with a question
New old guy with a question 2
Ponky

Ponky

You food may be inappropriate for that media. Coco is a hydroponic media. I think your food is a 5-1-1 designed to break down in a soil. And you wouldn't use it right away in soil. I think what you want is to flush thoroughly. And use Silica like Armor Si, some Cal Mag, and some basic 1 or 3 part hydroponic food. Powder or liquid.

Starbud67

Starbud67

Ponky,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I misunderstood Coco as I thought it was more of a mid point between full soil and say, Rock wool. Am I that wrong in that assumption? Would I be better off going back to a soil based system? Thanks!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
as a reborn grower you probably should try a soilless or soil mix? it maybe a little easier to get back into the swing of things.. though there is so much great help here with all grow mediums that the growers here can help you all the way to the end, hopefully successful!
welcome to the farm and don’t instantly react to your plants from one reply wait to see if a few growers agree with each other about your concerns.

Ponky

Ponky

Ponky,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I misunderstood Coco as I thought it was more of a mid point between full soil and say, Rock wool. Am I that wrong in that assumption? Would I be better off going back to a soil based system? Thanks!
I would grab bales of promix. And Silica. Cal mag. And one part nutrients. And Kool bloom. Simple classic recipe

Texasbob

Texasbob

Hi Bobby, that is an auto flower that is starting to flower. Imo your issues are most likely from ph fluctuations. You should be between 5.5 and 6.2 for your ph and since you are starting to show signs of calyx development you should back off of the nitrogen. Northern Lights is a pretty forgiving strain so stay with it. Definitely look at starting a regiment of bloom nutrients. Good luck!

pop22

pop22

The ability of a medium to "hold on to" nutrient ions is rated on a scale called the Cation Exchange Capacity. the higher the number, the more nutrient is able to stick to the medium for the plants to access. Coco is a very poor retainer on nutrient ions and had a CEC of 1. soils vary bust can range from 25 to 100 with rich organic soils have-ing the highest CEC. This is why coco is used as a hydroponic medium, Is really just there for roots to anchor to, .and is why it is fed daily and even multiple times daily. Coco requires a fairly high amount of nutrients in the solution for this reason. Good organic soil should have most of what a plant needs already in it. Adding anything additional to it may not be necessary. Using liquid seaweed and other organic amendments is fine, but most people over do it. once every 2-3 weeks is plenty.

your best bet at this point is to start feeding a nutrient blend, suhc as Mega Crop. Insteading of flushing with plain water, your plants are already hungry, flush with a mild nutrient solution, 250-300 ppms.
Yes, this will also mean you'll need a ppm or EC meter and a PH meter. Avoid the cheap ones, or you'll regest it..... that's the voice of experience! Find a thread here on coco growing, it's a good place to start!

Ponky,

Starbud67

Starbud67

First off thanks to those who have offered suggestions! It’s much appreciated.

Current conditions in the closet are 76.80° F /70% humidity. My light is an SF1000 about 26” from the top of the plants and currently set at 70% power. I’m trying to find my kilowatt meter to see exactly what it’s drawing.

I picked up a bottle of Mega crop and dosed as suggested 2 days ago. I think part of my issue is with the fabric pots it seems like I’m having to add a tremendous amount of water to get runoff. again I’m a soil kid used to plastic pots lol.

The frustrating part is the growth seems good and the smell is already amazing, it just seems like I can’t lick this issue.

Thanks everyone!

pics as of this morning.

50516EC8 AA38 4E71 8BDF D1F6C63843CA
2B73C1DA 9D61 4114 B122 592A6BDBAB9A
18FC9C36 0F86 48C8 9467 77A147C396B5
Starbud67

Starbud67

Using the Photone app, My IPhone 12 and a piece of velum it may be I was cooking my plants and had no idea. At roughly 70% output and 24” above the tallest plant I’m seeing PPFD readings of 1050-1170 from corners to center. Am I correct in assuming that may be a bit much? In hindsight I may have been hurting these poor plants since day one as I had them under the light at 50% since the day they broke through. 🤦🏼‍♂️. I’ve seen figures of 200-300 for seedlings, 500-600 for vegetative growth and 700-900 for flowering.

just to double check I am bringing home an Apogee par letter from work tonight.

Og_punkgenetics

Og_punkgenetics

Hey everyone! Grew my first plants in my backyard more than 25 years ago. Not the greatest lol.

So here I am years later with some age and more disposable income and a yearning to learn. I started these Auto Northern Lights about 4 weeks ago. Coco/Perlite, 1000w spider farmer light in a 2’x 2’ grow tent.

all was going well till about a week ago when my girls started showing yellowing leaves. I am using Alaska Fish emulsion 1 tsp/gal every other watering. I cannot figure out what the cause is but am worried. It doesn’t look like N deficiency if I remember. Mg? Phosp? If I’m screwing something up let me know! ANY help would be appreciated.

looking forward to spending time here.

Bobby
Curious if you are letting it dry all the way before you water again and what your feed water is PH'd at

Pondracer

Pondracer

You will get it figured out, that first run in coco is tricky. Sounds like you were growing back when I was growing before I started up again last year. The single biggest improvement I made to my plant health was automating the fertigation events. Same time, every day. Letting them dry out for any reason is very bad. Get a good, basic feeding chart. Log every time you mix for each phase. That makes it easier to mix. Mix in the right order, especially if you are using silicone. Get your ph right after you've added the silicone. Its funny me writing this, as its all knowledge I learned from this site :)

Ghosttrainx

Ghosttrainx

Looks like ph is down to low as I had this and my tester was had shit it's self as I had leaf curl up and leaf was ruff after a flush and low ec running so test your testers and calibrate it 👻🚂🤜🤛

Starbud67

Starbud67

Sorry for the absence from this thread but life got crazy. My son had his prom, graduation, party etc. somewhat good news though. The plants are close to finished and actually did better then I thought. I did take one plant out and try-potted in soil and it took off. Also moved it outside. I’m very excited to see it when it’s done. My wife tried a bud that I cut off, dried and cured and she said it was the best herb she ever smoked in her life lol. Very frosty looking to me with a wonderful smell. I do question if they are “foxtailing” though. The seeds for my next grow showed up today. Going to try feminized White Widow in soil that’s been cooking for 2 weeks. Let me know what you guys think. And THANK YOU again!

EBF784DC E26C 49B9 A6EE B5197C41FA78
41D2136B A30C 45B0 AA4C 6EF2D7384CE7
D6737E59 AD31 476F A997 CC482470F737
792A3550 6650 4303 889B D499583433EB
Starbud67

Starbud67

Any idea what could be causing the color change I’m seeing? Tri’s are 50/50 cloudy and clear but no amber yet that I can see. Plant seems to be doing well and buds are filling in just curious of the color change. None of the other plants showed this. Norther Lights auto in soil.
Thanks!

23D03BBB 1F6D 43CE A3D5 0F35861646DF
C0B7C998 91AF 4922 BBE8 2C293DAF1C13
C6B7230B B2D2 4E4E B887 EABB9514B6D2
Top Bottom