New RDWC grow featuring Mendel’s Æther by Brother Mendel

• Thread starter SweetLeafGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

You are right to trust aqua and I am not trying to second guess anything here. This could be something different.

I agree, thank you for all the info.
That appears to be your apical meristem. Correct me if I am wrong.

Not the apical, it's on the second branch off the main stem.
One more thing I just thought of, since you are now using epsom and you have quite a bit of calcium (5%) in micro, you should NOT be using cal-mag any more. Too much of a good thing and all.

Previously, I added in 15g of Epsom on top of the calmag that was in the res at the time. When I changed out the res this last time for bloom, I did add calmag. I have not done anything yet, trying to figure things out first.

Hey Sweetleaf I obviously have limited experience but my current grow one of my plants was more sensitive to my light than the others and that is how she would start showing it.
Thanks bro, I had thought that may be an issue and have the light at 26" above @ 60%. I might dial that back a bit based on Moe has said.
If the sulphur doesn’t clear it up then its a high PH or micro deficiency… are you running lean on the micro portion of GH?
I'm pretty sure it's not a ph issue. I changed out the res at the following ratios-
7.6 brown
6.6 green
8.5 pink
Also you can see this with very rapid growth sometimes…. If it greens up as they grow then thats is likely the case
I've wondered if this is the case, things have been progressing very quickly. I did want to stay ahead of things in case it was not normal. All of the new growth sites look the same pale green to one degree or another.
Also whats your humidity at and so you have fan’s directly on the plants?
I have an oscillator above the light blowing down on her. RH is at 45% and struggling to keep it that high with the furnace on full blast all the time.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I agree, thank you for all the info.

Not the apical, it's on the second branch off the main stem.

Previously, I added in 15g of Epsom on top of the calmag that was in the res at the time. When I changed out the res this last time for bloom, I did add calmag. I have not done anything yet, trying to figure things out first.

Thanks bro, I had thought that may be an issue and have the light at 26" above @ 60%. I might dial that back a bit based on Moe has said.

I'm pretty sure it's not a ph issue. I changed out the res at the following ratios-
7.6 brown
6.6 green
8.5 pink

I've wondered if this is the case, things have been progressing very quickly. I did want to stay ahead of things in case it was not normal. All of the new growth sites look the same pale green to one degree or another.

I have an oscillator above the light blowing down on her. RH is at 45% and struggling to keep it that high with the furnace on full blast all the time.
Yeah i thought i seen some slight wind burn and transpiration just off a bit. Try to get it above 55% and move the fan to the bottom blowing under and through the plants IMO

at low humidity plants are more sensitive to wind

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Yeah i thought i seen some slight wind burn and transpiration just off a bit. Try to get it above 55% and move the fan to the bottom blowing under and through the plants IMO

I think what you are seeing is the effects of a pretty intense LST training where a lot of foliage got damaged in the process. Going to move the fan down under, probably better that way anyway.

Part of my problem in this tent is the crappy marshydro inline fan. This was my very first purchase when I started growing, but will never buy mh again. The fan is strong, but the part that sucks is the variable speed control. There is no middle ground, it's either full on or low, no in between. If I turn it off, the RH spikes sky high but on the lowest setting, that thing pulls all the moisture out of the tent toot suite. When the Mac Dragon finishes, I'm going to swap those out for the Spider Farmer fan that is much better. I'm going to have to find another one or perhaps I can find a better inline variable speed control and install it to still be able to use this fan.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I think what you are seeing is the effects of a pretty intense LST training where a lot of foliage got damaged in the process. Going to move the fan down under, probably better that way anyway.

Part of my problem in this tent is the crappy marshydro inline fan. This was my very first purchase when I started growing, but will never buy mh again. The fan is strong, but the part that sucks is the variable speed control. There is no middle ground, it's either full on or low, no in between. If I turn it off, the RH spikes sky high but on the lowest setting, that thing pulls all the moisture out of the tent toot suite. When the Mac Dragon finishes, I'm going to swap those out for the Spider Farmer fan that is much better. I'm going to have to find another one or perhaps I can find a better inline variable speed control and install it to still be able to use this fan.
Why i like the cloudline and inkbirds

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Yup just check on all the environmental parameters but your other grow is doing just fine. This one could be too. Big snowstorm for us tonight. You?

Go ahead and stick your clean arm in there and feel around for any slime and check your airstone positions. Roots look 100%? Res temps up any? Shooting for 70 - 72 range.

Air temps should be 80+ preferably. This is one of the challenges with led in a northern climate. To get the temps up you turn the lights up and burn the plant. That will help bring res temps up too if you get tent temp up.

If your environment is good and your roots are happy, you will have to change what you are feeding them. Having been exactly where you are before I’d recommend stop cal mag. Drop green and pink both by 2 each and up brown by 2 in your ratio. Use Epsom.

If you have it fulvic acid or hum acid

Time to start backing off on silica.

Dose with great white if you want. This would be the last time tho unless there is a problem.

Can we get more details on the ph trends? How much how fast what is your buffer doing? How much silica are you using?

How do they smell?

To me the very new growth seems thin and curvy. If you look at the growth that is becoming larger / older does it become a typical leaf?

After my last grow I have decided to not change the res any more. Something to consider. I guess I’m having a hippie Al naturale streak in my grow style. What does the plant say to you? Are the roots the right size for the veg? What is it trying to be? This may all come down to genetics. Like how much more sick pure breed dogs are than mutts. Unpredictability is the downside of seeds. In a way you are on a 2 plant pheno hunt. It’s gonna take a while lol.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yup just check on all the environmental parameters but your other grow is doing just fine. This one could be too. Big snowstorm for us tonight. You?

Go ahead and stick your clean arm in there and feel around for any slime and check your airstone positions. Roots look 100%? Res temps up any? Shooting for 70 - 72 range.

Air temps should be 80+ preferably. This is one of the challenges with led in a northern climate. To get the temps up you turn the lights up and burn the plant. That will help bring res temps up too if you get tent temp up.

If your environment is good and your roots are happy, you will have to change what you are feeding them. Having been exactly where you are before I’d recommend stop cal mag. Drop green and pink both by 2 each and up brown by 2 in your ratio. Use Epsom.

Dose with great white if you want. This would be the last time tho unless there is a problem.

Can we get more details on the ph trends? How much how fast what is your buffer doing? How much silica are you using?

How do they smell?

To me the very new growth seems thin and curvy. If you look at the growth that is becoming larger / older does it become a typical leaf?

After my last grow I have decided to not change the res any more. Something to consider. I guess I’m having a hippie Al naturale streak in my grow style. What does the plant say to you? Are the roots the right size for the veg? What is it trying to be? This may all come down to genetics. Like how much more sick pure breed dogs are than mutts. Unpredictability is the downside of seeds. In a way you are on a 2 plant pheno hunt. It’s gonna take a while lol.
+1

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Thanks guys, I'll answer this in more detail once I get my wits about me this morning.

As far as the fans, thank Aman for the fan tips. I have everything sitting here for my new 4 site system ready to build, including the new beast mode light, and may have enough left over to get one of those fans with the controller. How cool would that be? This new system is going to fricken rock.

Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

Thanks guys, I'll answer this in more detail once I get my wits about me this morning.

As far as the fans, thank Aman for the fan tips. I have everything sitting here for my new 4 site system ready to build, including the new beast mode light, and may have enough left over to get one of those fans with the controller. How cool would that be? This new system is going to fricken rock.
Cloudline fan and controller 69 combo kept my rh/vpd dialed this run, will be able to do more next time with humidifier and heater in the mix. It's pretty slick for what it costs and so far it has worked perfectly.

I

IamN2pot

Cloudline fan and controller 69 combo kept my rh/vpd dialed this run, will be able to do more next time with humidifier and heater in the mix. It's pretty slick for what it costs and so far it has worked perfectly.
+1 on that. SLG, the "controller" on the spider farms fan is basically a simple digital speed controller. Take a knob speed controller, add 1-10 around the dial for speeds and put that into a controller with a digital display and that's what the current SF controller is.
on the other hand, the Infinity is much more of a climate controller. There's just no comparison in the control the controller 69 or even the 67 has over the SF speed controller. The 69 and 67 also have 'smart' bluetooth and/or WiFi connection. I have both of them and I think it's pretty obvious where my loyality lies, at least for inline fans. As for lights.... I'm still SF over Infinity😁 👍 😉

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Definitely going to grab one of these for the new system, pretty sure I have enough cash. Looked at both fans Aman recommended and looks as though this one is the most affordable for me.

How do they smell?

Thanks again Moe for such a detailed explanation. Yes, I do think this grow could be big, bigger than the Mac Dragon. Snow, yea but we only got a dusting and some yesterday and some freezing rain going on this morning. Glad I don't have to go anywhere! Supposed to go back into the icebox next week, Feb is usually a very cold month here.

As far as this finicky gal, nothing I have seen has made me doubt her health except the pale green, thin and curvy leaves on the new growth as you noted. They absolutely do seem to green up and take on the typical shape that we're all looking for. I've just never seen anything like this so was the reason I brought it up. Perhaps it is just a strain specific trait.

Roots look amazing, not slime or foul smell whatsoever. They actually look like a larger mass, or close to as large as the Mac Dragon root ball, which is substantial. Res temps steady at 68F. I can let that go warmer if you think it might help but I always understood 68F to be ideal.

As far as room temps, yea, it has been a challenge with the led at about 60% I can get into the 75-77F range during lights on. It's about the best I can do at this time. Again, I can dial the chiller back if needed to raise the res temp....might not help much at night as we are still getting pretty cold here.

As far as feeding, they are riding about 1000 ppm at the moment and showing a very slight bit of leaf tip burn here and there. If I do amend, I think it might be a good idea to stay in that 1000 ppm ballpark.

I don't have fulvic, humic acid, or Great White, those might have to go on my list. Does that Orca/Great White stuff do the same thing as Hydroguard? I still have half a bottle of Hydroguard but when I need to update that, I can get a different product if you think that is better.

Silica...yes I have been using it to build up the buffer. I had a gallon of Silica Boost, at first I liked it, but as I have used it, it seems very weak and I have to use a lot of it to get the ph in line. I ordered some Agsil 16 concentrate and will mix that up and start using it when it gets here. The ph trends have been exactly what I would expect after the res change, had been stable before that. Steady drops in ph right after the res change for a few days afterward, but yesterday, she finally hit 100% on the buffer and has started just a very gradual rise. Been bringing it down to 5.5 and she is slowly rising through that uptake range.

I think she smells great, pretty strong for a vegging plant. My read says she is doing great, if the pale curvy growth turns out to be a genetic thing. I'll also say she is drinking a lot, probably 1.5 gallons a day.

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Definitely going to grab one of these for the new system, pretty sure I have enough cash. Looked at both fans Aman recommended and looks as though this one is the most affordable for me.

Thanks again Moe for such a detailed explanation. Yes, I do think this grow could be big, bigger than the Mac Dragon. Snow, yea but we only got a dusting and some yesterday and some freezing rain going on this morning. Glad I don't have to go anywhere! Supposed to go back into the icebox next week, Feb is usually a very cold month here.

As far as this finicky gal, nothing I have seen has made me doubt her health except the pale green, thin and curvy leaves on the new growth as you noted. They absolutely do seem to green up and take on the typical shape that we're all looking for. I've just never seen anything like this so was the reason I brought it up. Perhaps it is just a strain specific trait.

Roots look amazing, not slime or foul smell whatsoever. They actually look like a larger mass, or close to as large as the Mac Dragon root ball, which is substantial. Res temps steady at 68F. I can let that go warmer if you think it might help but I always understood 68F to be ideal.

As far as room temps, yea, it has been a challenge with the led at about 60% I can get into the 75-77F range during lights on. It's about the best I can do at this time. Again, I can dial the chiller back if needed to raise the res temp....might not help much at night as we are still getting pretty cold here.

As far as feeding, they are riding about 1000 ppm at the moment and showing a very slight bit of leaf tip burn here and there. If I do amend, I think it might be a good idea to stay in that 1000 ppm ballpark.

I don't have fulvic, humic acid, or Great White, those might have to go on my list. Does that Orca/Great White stuff do the same thing as Hydroguard? I still have half a bottle of Hydroguard but when I need to update that, I can get a different product if you think that is better.

Silica...yes I have been using it to build up the buffer. I had a gallon of Silica Boost, at first I liked it, but as I have used it, it seems very weak and I have to use a lot of it to get the ph in line. I ordered some Agsil 16 concentrate and will mix that up and start using it when it gets here. The ph trends have been exactly what I would expect after the res change, had been stable before that. Steady drops in ph right after the res change for a few days afterward, but yesterday, she finally hit 100% on the buffer and has started just a very gradual rise. Been bringing it down to 5.5 and she is slowly rising through that uptake range.

I think she smells great, pretty strong for a vegging plant. My read says she is doing great, if the pale curvy growth turns out to be a genetic thing. I'll also say she is drinking a lot, probably 1.5 gallons a day.
Temps - root zone good O2 at 68 for sure, but with clean happy roots you will get faster growth a bit warmer.

Humic and Fulvic are really the same thing. You don't want both, and don't really NEED either. Judgement call.
Orca or Great White are a superset of Hydroguard. Just pick one, and make sure the one you pick is not hydrogard lol. If you really want to run a single bacteria no fungi, use Southern AG fungicide. Has the same bacteria at a higher concentration for less money.

FWIW Aqua repaired his crown rot with the bacteria in Southern AG, so you can see real evidence of what it does in his thread.

I got some Sillicum for the last grow and it made the res very frothy. I am back to using straight potassium silicate as my buffer. really cheap and very effective. Comes in a white powder. $15 worth will last you a decade.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Been a busy week last week, feeling better and getting close to finishing my kitchen and grow space!

I've been letting this gal ride and taking in all the info ya'all have given. It does appear to me that the new growth on this plant is pale and grows out of it eventually. I did go ahead and gave a 2 gal dose of micro to the res just to get those micro nute levels a bit higher see if that helps. I'm flipping to flower TONIGHT, going from 18/6 to 12/12. Not sure how much stretch I will get but I got a lot of room and will keep tucking branches. I like the metal trellis, it's much more stout than those flimsy chord nets. I'll add one of those to help spread and support the colas out once they start to reach for the light. I think my canopy has improved much and hoping to fill the tent better than last time.

D3C9F2A3 87F9 4818 9A10 E907935D346C
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Been a busy week last week, feeling better and getting close to finishing my kitchen and grow space!

I've been letting this gal ride and taking in all the info ya'all have given. It does appear to me that the new growth on this plant is pale and grows out of it eventually. I did go ahead and gave a 2 gal dose of micro to the res just to get those micro nute levels a bit higher see if that helps. I'm flipping to flower TONIGHT, going from 18/6 to 12/12. Not sure how much stretch I will get but I got a lot of room and will keep tucking branches. I like the metal trellis, it's much more stout than those flimsy chord nets. I'll add one of those to help spread and support the colas out once they start to reach for the light. I think my canopy has improved much and hoping to fill the tent better than last time.
Yeah where did you get that trellis? I’m thinking that’s a great idea I want to try. Just got home from Lowe’s and nothing in stock. Could be time of year tho.

Top Bottom