New RSWC System!!!

• Thread starter 101 Runner
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

fuzzy

Only thing thats exspensive on the UC is the chiller.And yes, bought my 1/4 hp chiller with thermostat off craigslist for $150 a little over a yr ago.Still working like a champ.Knock on wood,lol. peace,fuzzy

ttystikk

ttystikk

I've built my RDWC systems for- including mistakes, missteps and redesigns- about $20 a growing site. I know that compares favorably with UC systems, but then it took me awhile to get the systems sorted out. I'm not hatin' on UC, since they have a well designed, proven system that can get great results.

I built what I did for one simple reason; poverty! I must also point out that now I've been through the experince of building my own systems, I am far more knowlegeable about what design features affect the quality of the grow and why. This is knowlege one simply doesn't gain by building a system to someone else's specifications, and in my opinion is the most valuable part of the DIY process. Yes, the cost savings are nice, but they're not the main benefit of building one's own.

It's also given me an appreciation for the details in other peoples' buildouts, and so I'm very interested in seeing how this 'RSWC' system works out for ya!

S

smalltime99

So my ladies are very happy in the new buckets. More root growth and using way less nutes and they are going off. I only run about 12 gallons total.
Here is a pic from 4th week into flower. Have 2 Blueberry and 2 Widow. This is an upgraded system too, it has 7 gallon black buckets with a 10" mesh bottom.

Pic1
101 Runner

101 Runner

Progrow rocking week 4 Flower, Train Wrek and Double underdog. Full DM Flower lineup.

Feb 5 12 019
Aerojoe

Aerojoe

9 18 gallon tubs @ $5 $45

5 sticks 3" pvc @ $11 $55

17 uniseals @ $4 $68

8 10" Net pots @ $4 $32

5 3" pvc T @ $5 $25

3/4 pvc Fittings $20

Glue, teflon tape $8

Mag drive 18 $150

AP-100 air pump $150

1/4 air line $10

18 air stones @ $2 $36

SANY00193.JPG

Under current evolution 9 xl 13 Is $1800 Smaller air pump and a smaller water pump

I must the biggest fool on the farm..

fish.jpg

Thanks gettogro, I had a feeling there's a lot of sellers on here... I've built every system ever for way cheaper than they sell it for, I couldn't believe what bs ppl were saying about undercurrent costing same as homemade lol. also what's this about a RSWC system? this is just a bucket system like my homemade one, and I could've just set up a pump on the back buckets and route that to my rez and voila I also have a UC system. I guess if you really can't spare an hour or 2(yes an hour or 2 total, if time is worth so much to you than I assume you have some kind of forethought and planning rather than go to the depot 50x) to gather and piece things together. btw do you mind posting some pics your old system? I can't tell the difference between new and old, from your description they sound like you just switched from one bucket system to another?

S

smalltime99

Well where can you buy a black 7 gallon bucket? So your time is FREE to you even if it is 2 hours? So the gas it takes you to get to HD is free too? What about tax...you guys live in a tax free world? You left off the material cost for wrapping your totes like the pic shows. Also UC and this system are way too different systems. I understand AeroJoe that having hands on is alot of fun and it is what makes it more fun this way for some, but some of the diy leave off there troubles and what not for fear of humility.

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

Well where can you buy a black 7 gallon bucket? So your time is FREE to you even if it is 2 hours? So the gas it takes you to get to HD is free too? What about tax...you guys live in a tax free world? You left off the material cost for wrapping your totes like the pic shows. Also UC and this system are way too different systems. I understand AeroJoe that having hands on is alot of fun and it is what makes it more fun this way for some, but some of the diy leave off there troubles and what not for fear of humility.

If I wanted 7 gal buckets for my system which I don't, I'd go buy that 1 part from the hydro shop if needed, No time+gas isn't free, but gas+time x2 still would be 1/2 as much as the ripoff of buying a premade system from the industry, if no one was able to make a UC w/o saving anything over a dollar or 2, I doubt CC would even be selling UC systems... anyway man your grabbing at straws w/ these little nit picks, the pricing is like beyond a 100 percent markup. I'm sorry if your time is too expensive to build, save money and learn something in the process, but why are you on this website if not to gain knowledge? Time you spend on forum posting/taking pics could easily be spent on building/learning the system. I can almost guarantee you I could build a system before your ordered system could ship to your house unless you wanna buy the display model in the shop.

H

hogan400

I have two cch2o systems and could have built one. I may build my next one, I like the strong box from lowes for a tougher planting site. I purchased mine thru a shop and paid way less than retail. I think you have to consider that as well. Who is even paying retail prices in the first place? -10% on the average, -15-20% if you make or have a friend in a shop. If not, then what the fuck are you ballers doin! I get 20-30% off and maybe I should offer the shops number and get you all rolling on some better prices...

D

Devlove

I think this is yet another topic in these forums that is specific to the individual, gettogro has the best looking trees I've seen and he built his system, I'm happy with my diy. If you got cash to spare on a solid product and no time, get a uc. If you're pinching pennies and want a custom set-up, diy. Both have pros and cons and no one is right or wrong.

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

I too get the same if not better discounts, but still at over 100 percent markup there's just no way, I think you'll find everything is repurposed from another industry and actually costs marginally less if purchased not at a hydro store. I have a chiller for 14 dollars, I know they cost a digit more than that at a hydro store even w/ all the discounts to the max. just trying to save you a few bucks for the same thing and not trying to offend you, to each there own. :animbong:

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

I got it on craigslist, mine was converted from a drinking water chiller into my rez chiller for my watercooled co2. I just had to do a lil bit of work taking it apart, but 30 mins of cutting to save me hundreds of dollars, hell if you don't wanna be mcguyver about it, than just go buy an MRI laser, cause it looks like that's where they repurposed the reservoir chillers from. Anything w/ a compressor and a coil that you could take apart will work. There's a few how to guides on the net. I forget what company made mine, but it was either sparkletss/arrowhead or one of those water companies, just gotta check craigslist, lots of people get rid of these things for dirt cheap. One mans trash is another mans treasure, lol. any way the cheapest I can find a chiller on here is for about 400 bucks or so, mine only cost me 14 dollars some of my time+gas, dude lived like a block or 2 from my house lol. Any way happy hunting farmers, Hope I saved you all a few bucks. W/ the money you saved you could get a nice steak/bud/beer sit back and enjoy your getto thermostatted water chiller.

Some guides I found
http://www.jonolavsakvarium.com/eng_diy/chiller/chiller.html
http://www.guarriello.net/chiller.htm
and there's more out there.

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

I've been stuck on mcguyver mode ever since I was in high school, when I made my own convection vaporizer for less than 20 bucks not counting the whip and glass part, this is when they used to sell for 300 plus dollars for the crappy ones. IMO it feels good to build your own, a sense of accomplishment/understanding when you finish your project. on top of that who doesn't like to save some money? I'm sure I'm not the only "mcguyver stoner" here, lol :volcano:

Top Bottom