New Study Shows Pg When Vaped Releases Formaldehyde

• Thread starter jessejames12345
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
germinator

germinator

I think I'm going to stay away from mixing oil with PG to put in my O-Pen after reading this . Too bad , cause its such a simple process and I love this little pen .

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1413069

"Formaldehyde is a known degradation product of propylene glycol that reacts with propylene glycol and glycerol during vaporization to produce hemiacetals"

Yikes .
Amen......... back to my bubble now machine. But dam
I mean first the butane mystery oil now this. Gonna go back to bubble.

Last edited:
jessejames12345

jessejames12345

I think properly vac Purged BHO is safe . I think this article is referring to PolyGlycol that is mixed to make "E-Juice"

To be fair , the E-Juice Cig business uses a lot more of this product than the small amount people are using to dissolve shatter into .

Too bad , seemed like a neat trick : )

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
This study is going to be debunked and mashed to shit soon enough I have a feeling..

If Straight PG was an issue Fog machines that dump pounds of the liquid in seconds would be killing club go-ers left and right...

And those are far more high voltage then my e-cig....

EDIT:

Heres a quote i took from a guy on an e-cig forum ( there up to like 23 pages on this subject atm.. )

" I am a scientist and analyze my companies products for formaldehyde nearly everyday.

The published article is not scientifically sound. I could write quite the diatribe describing why, but I'll just point out a couple issues.

1) NO CONTROL - All scientific experiments must have controls, none were even mentioned in the article. The obvious one would be to use 100% PG in the experiment instead of an unknown, uncharacterized efluid and ONLY this fluid.

2) NMR is a poor quantitative, instrumental technique. The most accurate measurement for CH2O is performed by using derivatization with 2,4-DNPH followed by analysis with HPLC. Alternatively, there are GC methods for CH2O that are also very quantitatively accurate.

3) POWER, no mention of watts, the most accurate way to characterize perhaps the most important part of the experiment.

A comparison to cigarettes is not valid until the experimental procedures are validated and sound. In this case, I see no mention of validation or the following of standard scientific protocol. "

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Some more info..

A cartridge or tank contains a liquid of propylene glycol, glycerol, or both, as well as nicotine and flavoring. These chemicals are heated to the boiling point with a battery-operated atomizer, creating a smokeless vapor that is inhaled.

But formaldehyde-containing chemical compounds can be released during the "vaping" process as the liquid is heated. Pankow said some e-cigarettes can burn hotter than 1,000 degrees fahrenheit.

"The difference in e-cigarettes is the material that is heated and turns into hot gas as it cools is not tobacco, but two main chemicals," he said. "When it gets really hot, unwanted reactions occur."

Pankow said the same risks likely do not occur when vaping dry marijuana or hash oil, which typically does not use those chemicals. "But it's totally likely that some people dilute hash oil with propylene glycol and glycerol, which we know can form formaldehyde," he said.

I don't vape anything in my e-cig but 100% PG, there is no Glycerol mixture here.. So if its the mixing of the 2 then BURNING and not VAPORIZING then yes i can see an issue..

This study is fucking flawed to shit and back.

See at the very end they state its 2 chemcials causing a reaction.. Not 1 ... PG and VG are the 2 commons found in e-cigs.. I don't know where the fuck they got Glycerol from but prolly ordered some china made shit juice..

Know your suppliers know your juice's demand COA's and analytical testing reports on a regular basis on any juices you buy!

Or just make your own buy straight up PG and mix your own flavorings. ( there just esters and alcohols )

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Thanks for chiming in @LittleDabbie . I saw this articele making the rounds this mornig and freaked out a bit ...

Yeah its making its rounds around mainstream media atm getting blown WAY out of proportion and im frankly disgusted the shit ended up in the new england journal of medicine to be frank, that was one respected body of medicine i did at one time have faith in but not anymore.

Sadly this is going to be a heavy attack on e-cigs for a few months till this bullshit gets sorted out.. *ugh*

jessejames12345

jessejames12345

Yeah its making its rounds around mainstream media atm getting blown WAY out of proportion and im frankly disgusted the shit ended up in the new england journal of medicine to be frank, that was one respected body of medicine i did at one time have faith in but not anymore.

Sadly this is going to be a heavy attack on e-cigs for a few months till this bullshit gets sorted out.. *ugh*

Yea the only reason I gave it any clout is because it ended up in NEJM . I can imagine the cheap ecig products are filled with the cheap material and use a LOT more of it .

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Yeah the article/study also suggests high voltage which then leads to the suggestion that the 2 chemicals are being combusted, and not vaporized because they also state a chemical reaction is taken place, if PG and Glycerol reacted chemically with each other in a vapor form they would also react the same in a liquid form, however its when the 2 are combined then combusted that the claim is being made ( and that took alot of connecting the dots to make ) that form. is being created, In 5x the amount thats being vapped......

But the general news is not going to tell you that lol

Top Bottom