New to Air pots

• Thread starter Vexor1717
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Vexor1717

Vexor1717

Are there any tricks to these? Do you have to water more due to the holes? Do you have to pack in the dirt more than normal? Any pointers appreciated.

uphere

uphere

I just picked up two myself. Some insight would have been great. Maybe someone will chime in later? I believe they dry out much quicker so be ready to water daily. Maybe every other depending on medium. Wish I could offer more info Vexor. Good luck on your grow.

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
There's some nuances to using them yes.
I've been using them since they were invented and wont use anything else to veg my plants. I do pack soil into them rather firm by making a fist and pushing down hard.
Run the bottom screen at 3 rows up or for more soil volume go 2 rows up from the bottom. Remember the screen having an air space below it is just as important as the holes in the side. You want air wrapped around them for best results so the higher up the screen the better

They do go dry faster than most other containers and the roots & soil will compact. So you need to water slowly and thoroughly but you can also dunk the airpot into a bucket of water for a really good soaking of the root ball. Simply hold the pot under water at the soil surface line and wait for the air bubbles to stop. Pull it up and let it drain and your plant will be very well watered. This only works great for smaller pot and plants that can be moved and lifted easily though otherwise a slow and steady watering is choice. Drip systems also go great with airpots

Vexor1717

Vexor1717

There's some nuances to using them yes.
I've been using them since they were invented and wont use anything else to veg my plants. I do pack soil into them rather firm by making a fist and pushing down hard.
Run the bottom screen at 3 rows up or for more soil volume go 2 rows up from the bottom. Remember the screen having an air space below it is just as important as the holes in the side. You want air wrapped around them for best results so the higher up the screen the better

They do go dry faster than most other containers and the roots & soil will compact. So you need to water slowly and thoroughly but you can also dunk the airpot into a bucket of water for a really good soaking of the root ball. Simply hold the pot under water at the soil surface line and wait for the air bubbles to stop. Pull it up and let it drain and your plant will be very well watered. This only works great for smaller pot and plants that can be moved and lifted easily though otherwise a slow and steady watering is choice. Drip systems also go great with airpots

Very awesome. Thanks. I never would have thought of submerging them. So I don't want the bottom screen on bottom? I want it up 2? I had it set on bottom. The point of setting it up higher is for more air flow? Thanks again!

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
Very awesome. Thanks. I never would have thought of submerging them. So I don't want the bottom screen on bottom? I want it up 2? I had it set on bottom. The point of setting it up higher is for more air flow? Thanks again!

Yep. I run red screens at two and orange screens at three

Airpots

simonkay

simonkay

Hi i know im Late to the conversation but im gonna order some airpots & wondering, does bottom feeding work well with them?
Heard top feeding is problematic with run offs maybe just putting some nutes in the drip tray is more efficient?
Tia

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
Hi i know im Late to the conversation but im gonna order some airpots & wondering, does bottom feeding work well with them?
Heard top feeding is problematic with run offs maybe just putting some nutes in the drip tray is more efficient?
Tia

The base sits up kinda high for that so if you did it the nutes in the tray below would need to be about 3" deep to be effective and then your adding humidity to the operation as well.
You can use dry nutes mixed in the soil which works extremely well.
You can also rake the soil surface before watering to break up it's compaction. That will redirect water/nutes to drain downward instead of pouring out the top couple rows of side holes in the pots.
Or just dunk the whole thing in a bucket like I described above.
It can be a little tricky to start but eventually you'll find what works best for you

simonkay

simonkay

Thanks for the advice, when you say you dunk to "soil surface line" are we are talking the top of the pot or where the base starts

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
Thanks for the advice, when you say you dunk to "soil surface line" are we are talking the top of the pot or where the base starts

Top of the pot, like the whole thing under water until it stops bubbling air then pull it up.
What size pots you considering?

simonkay

simonkay

5 gallons about 6-8 under 2x240w LEDs hopefully run a diary on it soon

Top Bottom