New to growing, seed coat stayed on and I was unaware.

• Thread starter Pazman21
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pazman21

Pazman21

Hey guys,

new to growing here, I have 3 autos in a 4x2 with a 2000w led at 28 in at lowest dim. 1 auto sprouted but the other 2 sprouted with their seed coats on. I was unaware that these needed to come off. The conditions in my tent may be too dry which is why my soil was too dry and the coatings didn't come off. With that being said I removed them and saw there was a brown pigment on some of the leaves. Just wondering if this is salvageable and if I should continue regular watering. any information would be greatly appreciated. I will link tent conditions and pictures of the seedling sprouts. Tell me what you think and any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys.

New to growing seed coat stayed on and i was unaware
New to growing seed coat stayed on and i was unaware 2
New to growing seed coat stayed on and i was unaware 3
New to growing seed coat stayed on and i was unaware 4
INDICAtive

INDICAtive

Prolly fine man. How deep did u plant the beans? If theyre too shallow they wont shed the shell sometimes. I make sure they have to fight a little to come out that way they rip that sucker off and come up strong like bull

Pazman21

Pazman21

Prolly fine man. How deep did u plant the beans? If theyre too shallow they wont shed the shell sometimes. I make sure they have to fight a little to come out that way they rip that sucker off and come up strong like bull
Thanks for the reply man, and I planted them about an inch or the tip of my pinky. next time I know to plant them deeper.. how about my conditions? are they alright? it may be too dry also. But thank you brother for the reply I was sketching.

Ponky

Ponky

It is my strong recommendation to crack your seeds in a glass of water. To reduce the odds of damping off.

Pazman21

Pazman21

It is my strong recommendation to crack your seeds in a glass of water. To reduce the odds of damping off.
Hey Ponky, I soaked them for 18 hours in a glass of water then the paper towel method for 2 days. then planted and 2 seed coats still stayed on. It may have been my dry soil and me not planting deep enough. But thank you for the information.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Just pull them off with tweezers, very gently. I've done it many times.

elduderito

elduderito

when this happens I mist the plant with water a few times, it generally comes off on it's own... misting can help soften the seed

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Don't plant any deeper, you did fine.
The brown stuff is the skin from inside the seed shell. It's no big deal, ignore it.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

If I don't get the shell halves off in time I've killed seeds. A gentle task.
On occasion, the shell needs to come off by hand. But wait 2 days after it pops out to do it. It will usually remove it itself.
If it's still clinging after 2 days, remove it gently.

Pazman21

Pazman21

Hey guys, thanks a lot for everyone's opinion. you guys are very knowledgeable. and in regards to conditions in my tent are they okay? any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Ponky

Ponky

They're a bit stretchy but thay support wire cage looks like it's working great. My guess is a sativa.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Hey guys, thanks a lot for everyone's opinion. you guys are very knowledgeable. and in regards to conditions in my tent are they okay? any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Seedlings like higher humidity.

Seeds only need to be put under the medium surface 1/4 - 1/2” to germinate and sprout.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Do you recommend a humidifier?
Don’t know if you need one. Can you raise the rh to around 60 - 65% without one? Seedlings can and do benefit with even higher rh. Having said that humidity isn’t as big an issue once they get up around three or four weeks. If you can keep them thriving and looking good at 50% where you are at you’ll be fine rh wise from there. You asked about what we thought of for the tent. That was my thought, raise rh for a while until they are older.

Ponky

Ponky

If it makes you feel better my clones live in 45% rh and they don't get sprayed or covered. And they transplant just fine. They are bubble clones. For cube clones I use a dome and tray. Heat mat. Roots in 5.

Top Bottom