New to Hydro, Could use advice from experience growers. Ebb and Flow

• Thread starter Vedic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Vedic

Vedic

Hi all,

So I spent like 40 grand on a bunch of stuff to grow in my garage here in California.

My plan was to use the blue 55 gallon drums (4 of them) with Lux or Gavita 1000 Watt (18 of them) and 24 buckets per reservoir for 96 total. The electrician already did wires tests and set up breakers and control boxes. I have 4 brains (1 for each res) and blue labs testers for each to check Ph temp and room will have x2 mini splits (3000 each, they are really good ones) double co2 burners and a huge dehumidifier along with the fans etc.

I was going to use the Sun System 630 watt LECs since I have like 400 of them, but in the soil grow as only getting 1.5lbs per light. The quality was good nugs didn't seem as dense (gorilla glue 4) so figured I would use HPS for this set up. LECs were expensive and cut power bill in half and was easier to keep the proper temp. (Less heat) Anyone else use 630 watt LECs? any tips?

My friend grew in my garage in rancho with this set up, I think he used advanced nutrients but really secretive about his set up, feeding times, techniques etc. He grew Fire OG. He got 2.8lbs per light same number of buckets.

Obviously I can't do that but was hoping for some advice.

I am going to get Gelato and Cookies seeds from Humboldt seeds at a retailer tomorrow. I will mother these and clone from them.

Question 1:

I am using buckets for flower (5 gallon blue buckets) 24 per 55 gallon res with aeration stones, chillers, upgraded pumps ... but what about Veg?

My plan was the clone and dip in small rockwool cubes, start them under a grow tray t5 light mist with B1 and get to the size where I can transfer them to larger rockwool cubes to start the rest of their Veg. Total process from clone to flower ready will be 8 weeks. But since I am using buckets and rockwool as my medium. do those buckets need anything else, I couldn't tell from friends grow because of the lid. And how do I veg? obviously cant use those buckets I am flowering in, do I build a flood tray table in a Veg room to start them and then after 8th week transfer them to the buckets to start the 8 week bloom / flower?

Question 2:

From what i read we do not want roots to try out, you flood one extra time in Veg because of 18 hours vs 12, so say once every 4 hours? 6 hours? and don't flood at night? Will roots dry out or risk root rot with 6-10 hours with no flood? What about flower? Will they run into same issue?

Question 3:

Lastly flush? Is it a week 8 (1 week) flush? or half that?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated for those that have grown Hydro.

I am a soil grower and with 18 light set up have gotten 1.8-2.1 lbs per light with HPS and 1.4-1.6 lbs per light with LECs using coco (gorilla glue 4) and San Fernando OG.

I want to switch from soil because the maint sucks, the clean up and disposal is a pain too haha. Plus the yields with ebb and flow seem to be really good!

I have a warehouse in Adelanto being built (had my CUP forever, finally got to pull permits, just waiting on Edison to upgrade power and wells to be dug) and if I can perfect this I can implement on 80,000 square feet of cultivation in the future. My current warehouse (*legal grow) in Sac is a soil grow and have a depo grow as well (deps seem to be what everyone is after disto wise) but i really want to move away from deps and stick to indoor but move away from soil to hydro. Ebb and Flow seems to be the way to go from the research I have done and based on what my friend from the military who has been growing for 14 years was able to produce in a garage. He is using the same set up at his warehouse that I invested in (but he will not let me in haha, even though I have a license myself) .. I use "friend" loosely ..more like acquaintance I met thru others. He and a few others have been super secretive and I have noticed this about a lot of people in the industry lol.

As for the 96 plants, I will clone 130-150 and pick the best with backups. I will repeat this every cycle.

The set up I got from greencoast Hydroponics here in Cali, and plan on just following the advanced nutrients line up, but feel like I should be adding 1-2 more things? So any advice on nutes, ratios and your experience would be greatly helpful!

Tripplicty on IG (I know it is my 1st post but I am real lol)

Cheers.

Will

Oh and side note, I have a Twister T2 trimmer, anyone have experience with one (the ones with conveyor belt, vacuum trim collector and a nitrate tipped blades) They were like 25k each, I hate trimming and cant find a trust worthy trim team in this area I would consider coming to my garage haha.

Last edited:
Kneelb4Zod

Kneelb4Zod

You should have bumped you post dude, lol- My .02 Start and go from there. there are so many variables to see what works for you. 40K?? Your "friends"won't talk to you?? New friend time. My buddies won't shut up about their grow, talk about it everywhere they go... anywayhow....

I'd stay away from Rockwool IMHO. Yes it's fine but I used coco and reused it, but it sounds like that's not important- I use Hydroton almost exclusively. Easy to reuse, move, add, replant, etc.

You are having 24 plants in 5-gallon buckets but only 55-gallon res? That doesn't sound right. I hate air stones, they plug, pump noisy, and raise PH. A waterfall type is much preferred, cool the water while adding o2 + no PH change.

I personally would just use a DWC system if you are going all out. Best results in Hydroponics. (you can DWC in 5 gal buckets, small size tho')

I Clone in water only so EZ to transplant NOT sprayers, use Bubbleponic or my current flood type cloner.

I veg in 2 Gallon bags with Hydroton f, and flood for ONLY 2 minutes about 20 times during light, most go 3-4 for 15 minutes during the light period only. and I flood 1 20 minute time at night, just for my mindset. The bag helps hold moisture. I use 6"net pots here too, with a felt liner for Joann fabric underneath to aid it in water retention and light? Roots love felt!

Then off to the DWC system for flower.

Last edited:
Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Hi all,

So I spent like 40 grand on a bunch of stuff to grow in my garage here in California.

My plan was to use the blue 55 gallon drums (4 of them) with Lux or Gavita 1000 Watt (18 of them) and 24 buckets per reservoir for 96 total. The electrician already did wires tests and set up breakers and control boxes. I have 4 brains (1 for each res) and blue labs testers for each to check Ph temp and room will have x2 mini splits (3000 each, they are really good ones) double co2 burners and a huge dehumidifier along with the fans etc.

I was going to use the Sun System 630 watt LECs since I have like 400 of them, but in the soil grow as only getting 1.5lbs per light. The quality was good nugs didn't seem as dense (gorilla glue 4) so figured I would use HPS for this set up. LECs were expensive and cut power bill in half and was easier to keep the proper temp. (Less heat) Anyone else use 630 watt LECs? any tips?

My friend grew in my garage in rancho with this set up, I think he used advanced nutrients but really secretive about his set up, feeding times, techniques etc. He grew Fire OG. He got 2.8lbs per light same number of buckets.

Obviously I can't do that but was hoping for some advice.

I am going to get Gelato and Cookies seeds from Humboldt seeds at a retailer tomorrow. I will mother these and clone from them.

Question 1:

I am using buckets for flower (5 gallon blue buckets) 24 per 55 gallon res with aeration stones, chillers, upgraded pumps ... but what about Veg?

My plan was the clone and dip in small rockwool cubes, start them under a grow tray t5 light mist with B1 and get to the size where I can transfer them to larger rockwool cubes to start the rest of their Veg. Total process from clone to flower ready will be 8 weeks. But since I am using buckets and rockwool as my medium. do those buckets need anything else, I couldn't tell from friends grow because of the lid. And how do I veg? obviously cant use those buckets I am flowering in, do I build a flood tray table in a Veg room to start them and then after 8th week transfer them to the buckets to start the 8 week bloom / flower?

Question 2:

From what i read we do not want roots to try out, you flood one extra time in Veg because of 18 hours vs 12, so say once every 4 hours? 6 hours? and don't flood at night? Will roots dry out or risk root rot with 6-10 hours with no flood? What about flower? Will they run into same issue?

Question 3:

Lastly flush? Is it a week 8 (1 week) flush? or half that?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated for those that have grown Hydro.

I am a soil grower and with 18 light set up have gotten 1.8-2.1 lbs per light with HPS and 1.4-1.6 lbs per light with LECs using coco (gorilla glue 4) and San Fernando OG.

I want to switch from soil because the maint sucks, the clean up and disposal is a pain too haha. Plus the yields with ebb and flow seem to be really good!

I have a warehouse in Adelanto being built (had my CUP forever, finally got to pull permits, just waiting on Edison to upgrade power and wells to be dug) and if I can perfect this I can implement on 80,000 square feet of cultivation in the future. My current warehouse (*legal grow) in Sac is a soil grow and have a depo grow as well (deps seem to be what everyone is after disto wise) but i really want to move away from deps and stick to indoor but move away from soil to hydro. Ebb and Flow seems to be the way to go from the research I have done and based on what my friend from the military who has been growing for 14 years was able to produce in a garage. He is using the same set up at his warehouse that I invested in (but he will not let me in haha, even though I have a license myself) .. I use "friend" loosely ..more like acquaintance I met thru others. He and a few others have been super secretive and I have noticed this about a lot of people in the industry lol.

As for the 96 plants, I will clone 130-150 and pick the best with backups. I will repeat this every cycle.

The set up I got from greencoast Hydroponics here in Cali, and plan on just following the advanced nutrients line up, but feel like I should be adding 1-2 more things? So any advice on nutes, ratios and your experience would be greatly helpful!

Tripplicty on IG (I know it is my 1st post but I am real lol)

Cheers.

Will

Oh and side note, I have a Twister T2 trimmer, anyone have experience with one (the ones with conveyor belt, vacuum trim collector and a nitrate tipped blades) They were like 25k each, I hate trimming and cant find a trust worthy trim team in this area I would consider coming to my garage haha.
When I grew ebb and flow in my garage I used 6 1000 watt lamps covering 6 tables and had buckets where there was extra light, I covered the tables with previously washed rocks and put the clones in the rocks (so they touched the tray bottom)which can be reused, when the clones were still tiny,i would pull rocks back to make sure they were wet which they were because there was always some water on the bottom,on a 4x6 table i would put 72 clones because that would fit nicely and flower them at about 6 inches. I built a trellis at each end and ran string to tie them. When I changed solution I would wash the rocks to get rid of salts before running the new solution. I pumped the used solution to my vegetable garden and trees etc. After a few crops I made a manifold and ran nft in the rockbed and it actually worked better than flood and drain for me and no timers to worry about,oh and I changed tables and bought those tables the cattle walk through to disinfect their feet and they were unbreakable and cheaper as well

Top Bottom