New to Organic where do I Start

• Thread starter JJP53
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JJP53

So I have been growing in soil with synthetic ferts and am considering converting over to organics but do have the slightest idea where to start.

catdaddy

catdaddy

good question, because i have been thinking of doing the same myself. hopefully, these pro's will chime in and give some advise on how to.

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
Books

• Ingham, E.R. and M. Alms. (1999), The Compost Tea Handbook 1.1
  • Ingham, E.R. (2000) The Compost Tea Brewing Manual. Sustainable Studies Institute, Eugene, OR. 60 pp.
  • Ingham, E.R. (2001) The Compost Tea Brewing Manual Second Edition, Soil Foodweb Inc, Corvallis, Oregon 68pp
  • Ingham, E.R. (2002) The Compost Tea Brewing Manual Third Edition, Soil Foodweb Inc, Corvallis, Oregon 78pp
  • Ingham, E.R. (2003) The Compost Tea Brewing Manual Fourth Edition, Soil Foodweb Inc, Corvallis, Oregon 88pp
  • Ingham, E.R. (2004), Compost Tea Quality: Light Microscope Methods, Soil Foodweb Inc, Corvallis, Oregon 47pp
  • Ingham, E.R. (2004) The Field Guide for Actively Aerated Compost Tea (AACT), Soil Foodweb Inc, Corvallis, Oregon 178pp
  • Ingham, E.R. (2005). The Compost Tea Brewing Manual, Edition 5, Soil Foodweb Inc, Corvallis, Oregon 79pp

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
514%2BX7fqcxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

J

JJP53

Isn't that where I posted this thread. Theres a lot of questions but not many how to threads

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
Sorry if i came across as obtuse, that's not my intention.

Spend a little time looking through the processes laid out by several folks here, and you can get an idea of how to approach it. Alien has a nice thread that shows his feeding regiment, you can find that in the alien sub-forum, but no one grower has laid out exact methodology from what i can tell.

Supersoil is aso a great option- really seems to be the simplest way to get great cannabis.

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

Are you gonna make your own soil from a recipe or buy bags?

If you are gonna make your own....do you want to (a) "water only" or (b) feed nutes?

If you are buying your soil....what kind are you thinking of using?

Do you know how to brew ACT's?

I would become familiar with Earth Juice products and Age Old. With some top dressing and ACT...you can keep the use of nutes to a minimum.....like literally feed half strength.

rootsnshoots

rootsnshoots

Looks like you found the thread of gold!! Lurk n learn, open simple minds make marvels..

S

slap14

So I have been growing in soil with synthetic ferts and am considering converting over to organics but do have the slightest idea where to start.

The first thing is to get a good soil mix. There are quite a few great mixes in this section. Next find three or four good tea recipes and stick with those. Most nutes including earth juice and general organics are not what i would consider true organics and if your soil mix is good you shouldn't need those type of products.

It will take a while to dial things in be patient and have fun with it. In my opinion there is nothing better than true organic meds.

good luck:)

Slap

S

slap14

EJ isnt organic enough?

I'll bite. Why not?

If you ever PH your water after adding EJ you will notice it drives it down real hard. The reason is it contains organic acids, and those acids can really hurt your microlife like your myco fungi. Most bottled nutes will have this same issue. I'm not saying this is a bad way to go but it's not completely organic either. I would rather the soil feed the plant rather than me force feed the plant with nutes directly.

OctoberDee

OctoberDee

If you ever PH your water after adding EJ you will notice it drives it down real hard. The reason is it contains organic acids, and those acids can really hurt your microlife like your myco fungi. Most bottled nutes will have this same issue. I'm not saying this is a bad way to go but it's not completely organic either. I would rather the soil feed the plant rather than me force feed the plant with nutes directly.

Never had that issue.... I have the entire Earth Juice line it's a very gentle fert line so I wouldn't even think it was causing a PH issue.. I do check PH and it's usually 6.8-7.0 from tap to feed..
also how does changing the PH make it not organic? Just curious..
BTW Earth Juice is made from organic materials so why would it not be "completely organic".. not trying to start a commercial here just asking your reasons for believing so..
I will agree that if your soil is good you shouldn't need extra ferts but I think you will find most growers amend their soil while plants are still growing and flowering... just sayin...

Great Soil= Empire Soil
Great EWC tea maker=

Both were put on to me by someone here at THCFarmer...

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Don't kill what should be living soil then just like mentioned before feed soil and let soil feed the plant

S

slap14

Never had that issue.... I have the entire Earth Juice line it's a very gentle fert line so I wouldn't even think it was causing a PH issue.. I do check PH and it's usually 6.8-7.0 from tap to feed..
also how does changing the PH make it not organic? Just curious..
BTW Earth Juice is made from organic materials so why would it not be "completely organic".. not trying to start a commercial here just asking your reasons for believing so..
I will agree that if your soil is good you shouldn't need extra ferts but I think you will find most growers amend their soil while plants are still growing and flowering... just sayin...

Great Soil= Empire Soil
Great EWC tea maker=

Both were put on to me by someone here at THCFarmer...

I think it is all preference. I prefer to have a very rich soil that I only need to feed the beasties knowing they will take care of the rest. However mixing soil can be a pain in the ass.:(

Earth juice and General Organics are both organic, but to preserve the product they use organic acids to do that. While those acids are organic they will piss off the fungi and that's not what i want (Put your PH meter directly in any of those bottles and it will be in the 4's).

I find supplying the plants with everything they need up front is easier (for me) than chasing any nute deficiency later on. I don't think one style of growing is better or worse just what I like. I'm sure I would love what you grow as much as i love what I grow.:)

I just finished some Candy Queen (Under Grow Diaries) that I only used R/O water and Teas. I do use a little very little CaMg+ from GO and a little Fox Farms Big Bloom(Worm Castings and Bat Guano) in some of my teas. Like I tell everyone find what works for you and have fun with it.;)

Slap

Top Bottom