New to rosin but want to start making my own...any suggestions for a noob on a budget?

• Thread starter ReeferRon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Theknowledgeplague

Theknowledgeplague

Snapchat 2041131643

I love variety and I love how different strains will give different profiles I recommend to any medical patients who smoke tons of bud like I do lol

ReeferRon

ReeferRon

View attachment 1090918
I love variety and I love how different strains will give different profiles I recommend to any medical patients who smoke tons of bud like I do lol
See now that's what I'm talkin about! You should describe your methods and techniques to get such gooey gold? I love that you can see the dab tool marks in the rosin.. someone's been a dabbin! lol Thank you for sharing!

That's kind of why I want to go to rosin, I'm a medical user with a super high tolerance and basically have to smoke flower all day long to stay medicated.. I mean I'm not complaining I love to smoke, but sometimes I feel chained to the bowl...

As of now I'm dabbin dispensary purchased crumble..bho...blah! That keeps me pretty medicated, but nothing like rosin. Ordering my first set of bubble bags this week. So the ball is rolling! Still haven't decided what route to go for a press and plates.. probably diy. Harbor freight press and plates from amazon. Or just get a plug a squish from Alibaba? Hmm The China connection... we shall see.

Hey thank you all for all the great info so far! That's why I love this community, everyone is so kind and helpful. I can feel the love. I was a member on another forum (RIU) and man those cats over there are angry! I've never seen so many name calling criticizing pot heads in my whole life. I had to get the hell out of there! Glad I found this place..

Keep the info and suggestions flowing people! Thanx again!

3 balls

3 balls

This recent thread seems as good a place as any to ask these questions. 🙂

Due to other prescribed meds, I manage to maintain a relatively low tolerance and decent flower is all I need. I couldn't begin to tell you what the difference is between shatter, wax, dabs, honey oil or whatever else is out there. However I throw out a ton of good trim. All the presses and what not seem like a ton of work that I dont have time for. But I saw these things.

If I tumbled all the trim through one of these things could I take that pollen/kief whatever you call it, mix it with isopropyl, strain it and let the alchohol evaporate out of it? What would that finished product be called? Thanks

Heynow

Heynow

Yes, you can tumble in those. They work well.

You can just smoke the keif that comes out of the trimmer. Or you can put that in a bag and press it for rosin.

If you use alcohol and evaporate it its called QWISO

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

What would it be?

Keif without the isopropyl.

Qwiso washes the tricomes off.

A tumbler knocks them off

3 balls

3 balls

Like I said, I dont know what is what when it comes to concentrates. My logic is that if I have tumbled to produce nothing but high quality trichomes, would I not end up with a similar high quality product by just dissolving those trichomes in the isopropyl? From my inexperienced perspective it seems like an easier path to the same end without having to mess with presses and all that scraping.

Heynow

Heynow

The flavor of pressed is 1000x better than alcohol. Rosin is solventless, alcohol is a solvent

If you want the easier, best way for bowl hash.. its tumbler keif.

I wouldn't smoke alcohol extracted, it's good to cook with.

If you want clean stuff to dab, take your keif and press that for rosin. If you don't dab, you don't need rosin

3 balls

3 balls

The flavor of pressed is 1000x better than alcohol. Rosin is solventless, alcohol is a solvent

If you want the easier, best way for bowl hash.. its tumbler keif.

I wouldn't smoke alcohol extracted, it's good to cook with.

If you want clean stuff to dab, take your keif and press that for rosin. If you don't dab, you don't need rosin
The best best best way is to make bubble hash, freeze it 24 hrs, microplane or sift it, freeze it for 24 more hours, then air dry for 2 days and press...but it's slot of work and it's not for everyone
Thank you, great info. Sounds like I need a press if want something people will be interested in. It sounds like a tumbler is worthwhile even if I will be pressing it. I may buy one just to get to the keif stage for now, I'd rather have a couple jars around than hefty bags of trim. I cant imagine it goes old sitting on the shelf?

Theknowledgeplague

Theknowledgeplague

See now that's what I'm talkin about! You should describe your methods and techniques to get such gooey gold? I love that you can see the dab tool marks in the rosin.. someone's been a dabbin! lol Thank you for sharing!

That's kind of why I want to go to rosin, I'm a medical user with a super high tolerance and basically have to smoke flower all day long to stay medicated.. I mean I'm not complaining I love to smoke, but sometimes I feel chained to the bowl...

As of now I'm dabbin dispensary purchased crumble..bho...blah! That keeps me pretty medicated, but nothing like rosin. Ordering my first set of bubble bags this week. So the ball is rolling! Still haven't decided what route to go for a press and plates.. probably diy. Harbor freight press and plates from amazon. Or just get a plug a squish from Alibaba? Hmm The China connection... we shall see.

Hey thank you all for all the great info so far! That's why I love this community, everyone is so kind and helpful. I can feel the love. I was a member on another forum (RIU) and man those cats over there are angry! I've never seen so many name calling criticizing pot heads in my whole life. I had to get the hell out of there! Glad I found this place..

Keep the info and suggestions flowing people! Thanx again!
Go with the flow buddy I love to press flower as much as I love to press hash/keif but the results I get from any sift or good quality hash is priceless, the one thing I love the most about solventless is how much cleaner it can be and if you keep the idea of good quality in gives good quality out then your gonna be baffled with all the different terps you missed out on smoking bho but don't get me wrong some extracts can be amazing too but flavor wise solventless all the way for me

Heynow

Heynow

Thank you, great info. Sounds like I need a press if want something people will be interested in. It sounds like a tumbler is worthwhile even if I will be pressing it. I may buy one just to get to the keif stage for now, I'd rather have a couple jars around than hefty bags of trim. I cant imagine it goes old sitting on the shelf?

It is best saved for long terms in the freezer.
Its definitely good for a few months or more in a jar room temp, the terps tend to evaporate tho.

I started by pressing keif, it is the second best option for rosin. 1) bubble 2) keif 3) flower.

They are all good, but everyone has their preferences.

You will be wasting your time and tons of bags if you press trim.

I would definitely start with the tumbler first. Then you can move on if you want. Before you run the trim in tho, freeze your material...it makes knowing the crystals off 10x easier. I also add a nickel to the tumbler when I run it, it helps agitate and clean the tumbler as it sifting

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Stainless steel tumbler and mesh,

Found this one thinking dry ice could be used.

Screenshot 20210218 045352 Samsung Internet
Heynow

Heynow

Don't use dry ice. You pulverize the plant material and contaminate the keif. Only freeze the trim.

When you pulverize the trim it gets a really green look and is impossible to separate the heads fto. The chlorophyll laden .material

Cookoo4Coco

Cookoo4Coco

O.K. so like the title says. I really wanna start making rosin out of at least half my crop. Around 8 ounces every few weeks I can squish... Anyone have any recommendations? I've seen and read about the hair straighter method but...I think I produce a little to much for that technique... What's the next level up? I've seen presses for like $500-$600 online, that's pretty pricey for me to justify to the wife as she hates when I dab...lol I was thinking I could spend like $250-$300 for a press without to much flack.

I picked up a 20ton shop press at harbor freight on sale for 60$ and got some lowtemp plates. I ended up with a decent setup and it wasnt that expensive. I think the low temp may have raised their prices since then though i remember it being closer to 250 for my set

Biggest downside is not having a pressure gauge and it being a floorstanding behemoth

Whiskydrunk420

Whiskydrunk420

Ask you
O.K. so like the title says. I really wanna start making rosin out of at least half my crop. Around 8 ounces every few weeks I can squish... Anyone have any recommendations? I've seen and read about the hair straighter method but...I think I produce a little to much for that technique... What's the next level up? I've seen presses for like $500-$600 online, that's pretty pricey for me to justify to the wife as she hates when I dab...lol I was thinking I could spend like $250-$300 for a press without to much flack.
Ask your hydro shop if they rent out rosin press . Mine does , I plan on taking full advantage of that soon

ReeferRon

ReeferRon

Hey thanks for the idea! To late for me but could help some one else. I actually pulled the trigger a couple months ago and got me a Nug Smasher OG. Paid a little more than I wanted, but that little machine has already more than paid for itself!
IMG 2243 2

Top Bottom