New to thcfarmer looking for fellow growers advice with my new dispensary

• Thread starter BigBank25k
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigBank25k

BigBank25k

Hey guy I’m from Virginia and as you know where a legal state and I’m in the process of opening my dispensary but it’s been challenging due to the market, looking for advice on staying consistent. Please and thanks

BigBank25k

BigBank25k

Keep the money run on a different day and time each time. And don't let it be go
Welcome to the farm.

Are you suppling as well or buying from growers? I'm pretty sure @Vb2flat2surf is in VA.
With the price crisis and to cut overhead I’m undecided at the moment skeptical about buying from growers, but it’s been an idea

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Hey guy I’m from Virginia and as you know where a legal state and I’m in the process of opening my dispensary but it’s been challenging due to the market, looking for advice on staying consistent. Please and thanks
I'm from Michigan. It's been a legal rec state for a few years now.

From a consumer standpoint, I would think the best way to stay consistent and relevant in a highly competitive market is offer the best tasting flower to be found in the area. An advertised high THC % might get them in the door, but it's the taste that will bring them back for more.

This sounds easy, but it's actually not what's happened here in Michigan. The growers here are pretty much all large corporate big money growers. The focus is on leveraging a profit and not really on quality. Strains are picked by the calendar schedule and not necessarily when they are finished. Strains are dried quickly with little or no cure time leaving them harsh and with almost no real flavor profiles. If you can offer the better flower at the same or a better price than your competitor you'll do well. Word will get around.

I stopped buying dispensary weed and started growing my own when the price went up and the quality went down. Quality went downhill when the caregiver grown weed was pushed out of the market by the regulations that favor deep pocket corporate growers. Almost all care-givers were mom and pop operations without deep pockets but a high focus on bringing a plant to its true genetic potential. They took pride in the quality of their work and it showed in what they grew.

BigBank25k

BigBank25k

From a consumer standpoint, I would think the best way to stay consistent and relevant in a highly competitive market is offer the best tasting flower to be found in the area. An advertised high THC % might get them in the door, but it's the taste that will bring them back for more.

This sounds easy, but it's actually not what's happened here in Michigan. The growers here are pretty much all large corporate big money growers. The focus is on leveraging a profit and not really on quality. Strains are picked by the calendar schedule and not necessarily when they are finished. Strains are dried quickly with little or no cure time leaving them harsh and with almost no real flavor profiles. If you can offer the better flower at the same or a better price than your competitor you'll do well. Word will get around.

I stopped buying dispensary weed and started growing my own when the price went up and the quality went down. Quality went downhill when the caregiver grown weed was pushed out of the market by the regulations that favor deep pocket corporate growers. Almost all care-givers were mom and pop operations without deep pockets but a high focus on bringing a plant to its true genetic potential. They took pride in the quality of their work and it showed in what they grew.
This is something me and my wife was actually just having a conversation about a lot of buying go for looks and taste not more so potency. When you are a small independent business man trying to compete against government operated dispensary’s, I’d rather have quality over quantity and real cannabis smokers will be able to tell the difference. That is the impact I’m trying to make as well as my own strain as the face of my business

Vb2flat2surf

Vb2flat2surf

VaBeach here and gotten some great grows in since legalization and its all due to this community. Hope one of us can help you. Lots of KILLER knowledege in here (im still no expert and learning alot each day)

R

ritoMox

EXACTLY what happened to Mom and Pop food farmers! Joel Salatin has many stories of capitalist greed: Link Joel Salatin
Give this a watch:

Lockebox

Lockebox

Totally agree with this. I got a free top shelf gram from a dispensary earlier today and while it looked and smelt absolutely amazing, it tasted and smoked like it was never cured with that harsh plant afterburn and no distinguishable weed taste.

While it was a cool place, they didn't have the quality I've come to crave. Definitely sell what's good not what looks good, that will get the true customer return like mentioned above.

Oh yeah get a prize wheel. Those things are dope

Vb2flat2surf

Vb2flat2surf

this is the Runtz that i just grew for personal. I grow as organic as possible, give as much TLC as plants need but it sucks cause the bag appeal isnt what other "Runtz" ive tried. However COMPLETELY consistent with what Runtz text book says and effects are. Plus white ash, great exhale and i "know" its runtz or atleast trust ILGM with that part. I wanna learn to get to get the bag appeal now (pardon kid movie in background lol)

R

ritoMox

this is the Runtz that i just grew for personal. I grow as organic as possible, give as much TLC as plants need but it sucks cause the bag appeal isnt what other "Runtz" ive tried. However COMPLETELY consistent with what Runtz text book says and effects are. Plus white ash, great exhale and i "know" its runtz or atleast trust ILGM with that part. I wanna learn to get to get the bag appeal now (pardon kid movie in background lol)
Looks like fire to me! Form over function is new-age bullshit! It's the EVERYONE LOOK AT ME crowd that runs shit now.

Vb2flat2surf

Vb2flat2surf

thats what im learning now. its so new to being legalized here people are doing some dirty shit and putting names on anything. We only have one dispensery here that i still have yet to visit. Only been to one real dispensery in Jamaica; Kaya Dispensery and i think that ruined that was a killer thing but set the bar lol

TSD

TSD

That looks good to me... plenty of people prefer substance over style... I'll take my organic outdoor that looks decent after trimming/drying/curing/dry trimming/more curing but tastes great and gets you baked over the dispo shit that looks great, even smells great but is usually tumbled, not properly cured and tastes like shit and has a mediocre buzz. Even the top shelf 15 bucks a gram shit us just bland low level shit as far as I'm concerned... no depth, it's like the Mr.Boston of weed.... it'll get ya stoned eventually, but you don't buy it for the taste and you might end up with a headache.

Vb2flat2surf

Vb2flat2surf

Amen! couldnt be said any better. I wish i could grow many more plants or even large plants but have to grow pretty stealth here still. But im growing enough to keep us smoking and pressing our own bud and then a bit to share with friends

virginiaponics

virginiaponics

interesting, how are you doing this with no license to do so being awarded yet ? Im in va also

Garbage_bear

Garbage_bear

I think all you would need to do is grow good weed that is cured and finished. I stopped buying from Oregon dispensaries because it is pretty much all just bone dry garbage weed for top dollar. I honestly don’t know how these places stay in business selling such garbage weed. Just finish the plant and cure it. That’s all we ask!

virginiaponics

virginiaponics

I think that's why they are still in the process.
well by the post thread i thought he magically was approved, him and 10000x other people thinking the same thing going to be sadly disappointed... lol

DomoArigato

DomoArigato

Could be a pop-up like the instagram "sweet-treats" lady thats been making her rounds as a grey-law edibles supplier in VA. Along with running deliveries, I read that she will set up a table at a gas station of a busy intersection to do her business out of. I have always been a passive observer, never interacting (don't need to), but I notice none the less.

I hear from a few sources that these "pop-up's" get pretty wild, people pressing concentrates out in the open (still not exactly legal in VA), all while having off-duty police detail to guard over said "pop-up". Kinda crazy really, but at some point I imagine that they'll crack down..?

Maybe due to being such a new thing to the state, with laws not yet well defined, these grey ops are normal. New to it myself (VA), but I hear that similar "permissable/overlooked" activities have happened in other states fresh after legalization.

Top Bottom