new to the forum, not grows

• Thread starter Fuzzy_Buzzy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fuzzy_Buzzy

Fuzzy_Buzzy

From the North east, USA.

I'm an old fella, retired and have grown indoors the past 3-4 yrs. I started with photos and in the last year I've ran autos non stop around the year.

I find autos more finicky but the fact that I can better control VPD in my basement grows with them I've continued on.

No claims as a master gardener, some runs are better then others.

It's good to share experiences though, and the topic interests me greatly. I kinda need the medical qualities these days, lol. Years ago it was for the cerebral effects, mostly.

New to the forum not grows

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
From the North east, USA.

I'm an old fella, retired and have grown indoors the past 3-4 yrs. I started with photos and in the last year I've ran autos non stop around the year.

I find autos more finicky but the fact that I can better control VPD in my basement grows with them I've continued on.

No claims as a master gardener, some runs are better then others.

It's good to share experiences though, and the topic interests me greatly. I kinda need the medical qualities these days, lol. Years ago it was for the cerebral effects, mostly.

View attachment 1147483
Nice little garden you have, welcome. I'm north east of you in Nova Scotia. I'd like to ask you why you think its easier to control your VPD with auto's? I don't have a lot of experience with them but for volume I need more auto's in a cycle than I do photo's. I can get by with 4-5-6 photo's where as I need almost 20 auto's to give me the same amount of smoke after harvest. With more plants it gives me more humidity to control and it fluctuates so much between watering and drying. I'm just wondering how you are able to control the VPD better with more plants than less. Just asking I have a dozen or so auto's going now.

Its real hard to keep the humidity down inside when its 35C = 95f @ 100% humidity outdoors.My humidifier is running 100% 24/7 to get it down to 65%. It's been tough drying my last harvest properly.

Fuzzy_Buzzy

Fuzzy_Buzzy

I'm not really sure why, but I haven't seen many temp and RH fluctuations since I've grown autos. I can run 24/0 or 22/2 with autos and do. My temp low is 75 usually and the high 80.

With photos after killing the lights for 12 hours I see 10-14 degree differentials. Those 10-14 degrees can trigger hermaphrodites and if the low temps get near 62 plants can die.

I find with photos I do get more yield per sq ft, but its not a huge difference. Roc Bud Grape Mints #23 yielded 106 grams on one auto, 97 on another.

These Fastbud strains I have in my tent look puny. I doubt I average 60 grams each.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I'm not really sure why, but I haven't seen many temp and RH fluctuations since I've grown autos. I can run 24/0 or 22/2 with autos and do. My temp low is 75 usually and the high 80.

With photos after killing the lights for 12 hours I see 10-14 degree differentials. Those 10-14 degrees can trigger hermaphrodites and if the low temps get near 62 plants can die.

I find with photos I do get more yield per sq ft, but its not a huge difference. Roc Bud Grape Mints #23 yielded 106 grams on one auto, 97 on another.

These Fastbud strains I have in my tent look puny. I doubt I average 60 grams each.
60 gram plants is 1 week of smoke for me. 4 months of growing for that per plant is not worth it to me...I need quantity, I know it suits some but I smoke almost 10grams /day. I know there is a place for auto's but if there's is room I'll grow photo's.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Lower light intensity is much less demanding on the plants in every aspect.

If you went to say co2 enrichment, aeroponics with very high light intensity you will see how even a 5% change to humidity effects the plants.

The faster the growth rates the more dialed in every other variable must be.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The autos in that pic were 34 days old, from seed.
Yeah... what I'm talking about is faster growth. I'm not saying your growth rates are no good by any means. But I can assure you when they are even faster you will see a difference in small environmental changes unlike you have experienced with that not being the case.

Eg my hydro system. 2 weeks growth (14 days). They get fussy. Even in my coco they do. It's more about the light intensity and the media that really changes the demands.

20210117 160102
IMG 20200102 190610
Fuzzy_Buzzy

Fuzzy_Buzzy

Monster growth there, Aqua!

I've thought about trying FF Coco Loco, maybe next run I will. I know its faster growth rates, given a proper VPD and care.

Most think the grow light is the most important thing, but so many variables are involved. Imho, having a proper environment and reacting to problems quickly are the 2 most important things.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Monster growth there, Aqua!

I've thought about trying FF Coco Loco, maybe next run I will. I know its faster growth rates, given a proper VPD and care.

Most think the grow light is the most important thing, but so many variables are involved. Imho, having a proper environment and reacting to problems quickly are the 2 most important things.
100% brother. Oh I missed the temp drop thing. On your auto the lights keep the temp up and I agree low night temps are a killer.

I really think the advantage to autos shines when you have less than maximum lighting. 100% if this was the case for me I be running autos. You can get away with 1/3 to 1/2 the intensity needed because you can run longer light cycles. Not to mention the benefits of stable temps without a heater etc.

Fuzzy_Buzzy

Fuzzy_Buzzy

I've managed keeping the HLG 550 V2 Rspec up 3 ft away until flower, the dimmer on it is shot. The mars Hydro FC3000 is the super efficient bar lighting type and its dimmer does work.

I manipulate both lights constantly, up and down. The Mars lights kill it in veg but seem to lack the RED intensity of the Rspec. So I move the plants around and rotate, gives an old guy something to do.

Top Bottom