New to the site, looking to expand my knowledge in BHO extraction.

• Thread starter DabManAK710
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DabManAK710

Alright, so I've been a consumer of concentrates for about two years now. I have dabbled in BHO extraction a few times, with little-to-no research done prior to doing a blast. The outcome was basically a waste of flowers, butane, and time. (Or so I thought until I did some research.) I'll give you a run down of what I have done thus far in my extraction experimentation:

-I have been using a local shop's blasting tubes. One of them is about a 14 gram tube, inner diameter of about an inch, and approximately 6-7 inches in length. The other is a 40 to 50 gram tube (depending on cut), inner diameter of 1.75 inches, and a length of 8-9 inches.

-Before I was more well-read on the topic I was using 90-100 micron silk screens. Which of course resulted in quite a bit of plant material in my "oil".

-I blasted into Pyrex, No-Goo pie container, and onto an OilSlick sheet. Which were submerged in a hot water bath. Pie container seemed to work best, but worried about silicon contamination.

-Here's where I screwed up. I never had to patience to purge properly so I probably ended up burning off many of the desirable materials in the oil. I did this using a griddle.

So it's been quite some time since I felt comfortable doing a run. I have a basic idea of what I want to do, I am basically just looking for some feedback, ideas, and positive criticism from other concentrate enthusiasts. Now I will give you a run down of what I'm working with now:

-I have a 2 oz tube with a stand.

-I have about 20 grams of kief. I would like to find a good ratio to bring my yields higher.

-I have enough delicious Purple Mr. Nice to play with (depending on tube). Primo buds, not trim or shake.

-I kept all my single run stuff, around 4-5 oz. Plan to do experimental run with this before using the purp.

-I am now a proud owner of a 3 gallon vacuum chamber, with a 8 CFM Robinair 15800 vacuum pump, rated at 25 microns.

-I also have a laser thermometer so I can accurately check my temps.

When I blast this time around I plan on using unbleached coffee filters, with I wing-nut clamp to hopefully prevent any blowouts, and keep plant material from getting into my initial run. I am going to blast into a scientific grade beaker. (Smaller run)

After all the butane is naturally purged off, meaning no heat, I plan to add 190 proof Ever Clear. Just enough to free up the oil from beaker. I will use a No-Goo vape-scrape tool to assist in freeing up oil from glass. Once all the oil is part of the 190 proof solution I will pour into a small mason jar with lid.

I will then put the solution in the freezer for 48-96 hours, shaking it every so often to help waxes and lipids come off.

When the solution is visibly separated I will pull top layers off, leaving layer of waxes, etc at bottom hopefully. To do this I will put a 25 micron metal screen over the turkey baster I plan to use and force the solution onto a No-Goo pie container.

Then I plan to vacuum purge.

Any input as to what I should do differently? Or ways I can improve my ideas of what I want to do?

D

DabManAK710

Okay thanks for taking time to read and give feedback. Any pointers on how to force 190 proof solution through filter?

Pisces

Pisces

If you go heavy on the ever clear, and dilute the oil more to make it thinner, it'll pour through the filters easier.

I've made it thick before in the past and it always took forever to run through the filters.

All the ever clear will eventually evaporate regardless of how much you use to dilute the oil.

D

DabManAK710

How about a force through method? Somehow creating pressure to force solution through a screen. Can't think of a good way though.

D

DabManAK710

Listen to Pisces--
just takes longer...
Well I would like to use air displacement or suction in some way....even if it's with a turkey baster with a screen on the end. Idk what to do at this point

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Seems to me that it just pushes/pulls more impurities through the filter--
take it slow an' easy...

D

DabManAK710

Seems to me that it just pushes/pulls more impurities through the filter--
take it slow an' easy...
What kind of filters should I use for this process?
-I have 25 Micron steel screens I was planning to utilize if I was to just use the dilution method. Am I stepping in the right direction?

D

DabManAK710

I did a run. Now have my bho in 190 proof alcohol in the freezer. Once I'm ready to use to I just allow alcohol to evaporate at room temp, or do I add heat? I plan on dripping through coffee filter in to a No goo pie pan.

Top Bottom