New Year - New Diy - Uc Style Rdwc

• Thread starter mandalaman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mandalaman

mandalaman

As I have the curiosity and attention span of a 5 year old i was at the local grow store and decided to do a DIY Under Current style upgrade. I am currently using 2 UC Solo Buckets so the conversion is not super difficult. It's a work in progress and I'm not sure the time frame I'll complete it but I'll update as I do. Feel free to ask any questions I'll answer best I can.

I went to Lowes after the grow store and grabbed some goodies as I'm not sure logistically how I will set it up. I might have the feed tank outside of the 3x3 tent the two solo buckets are in right now. Got a decent amount done. The key component was the Current Culture 2" bulkheads available and using a 1.5" coupling which fit perfectly in the bulk head. Also accidentally got a 1/2" Grommet instead of 3/4" (which the return line is) so kind of hacked an adapter from a 1/2" tee barb I had which I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Happy New Year Everyone :)

New year   new diy   uc style rdwc
New year   new diy   uc style rdwc 2
New year   new diy   uc style rdwc 3
New year   new diy   uc style rdwc 4
New year   new diy   uc style rdwc 5
New year   new diy   uc style rdwc 6
New year   new diy   uc style rdwc 7
New year   new diy   uc style rdwc 8
mandalaman

mandalaman

Made this diagram in the hopes that it might help someone understand the basics of how RDWC works and also as an idea of how I would do this having the main/feed bucket outside of the tent. Hopefully it helps someone :)
RDWC

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I might know a thing or 2 about rdwc.... :)
Let me look back over your diagram real quick...

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I would put it in the tent with the buckets.. I draw a pic.. don't laugh I can't draw very good....

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

And then you get a float valve, and put it in your tote. Have that valve hooked up to another tote outside res. In that tote you just keep straight ro water. no ph no nothing, just straight ro.
And take it another step further, you buy a ph/ec/ppm meter that you can leave in the tote (in tent) that has cord to the monitor outside tent so lights on/lights off you always know your ph/ec/ppm/temp...
That the way i got it and its sweet!

And no lol my ph isnt 6.3... I just added some ph up to the control bucket which is what we call the thing your building... The reservoir sits outside the tent with plain ro... the control bucket sits in the tent...

Downloadfile 14
Downloadfile 28
Downloadfile 7
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

You can keep both totes out of tent to, since its just 2 buckets,,, just want to make sure you got good circulation to BOTH buckets...

mandalaman

mandalaman

You can keep both totes out of tent to, since its just 2 buckets,,, just want to make sure you got good circulation to BOTH buckets...

Roger that. Thanks for the pics and advice. I might end up just doing all 3 inside the tent.

Now how long can the tube be that goes from my 18gall RO Rez to the feed bucket? I would need it to go about 20-25 feet. Is that going to work? What size tube to go from the 18g RO Rez to the feed bucket? And will I need some sort of inline water pump at that distance?

Also, what size water pump should I get if I want the option to expand to 4 site setup later? I was looking at this:
https://www.amazon.com/Plus-748470-Premium-Drive-Water/dp/B01G0PVYNU/

Will that be an overkill?

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Roger that. Thanks for the pics and advice. I might end up just doing all 3 inside the tent.

Now how long can the tube be that goes from my 18gall RO Rez to the feed bucket? I would need it to go about 20-25 feet. Is that going to work? What size tube to go from the 18g RO Rez to the feed bucket? And will I need some sort of inline water pump at that distance?

Also, what size water pump should I get if I want the option to expand to 4 site setup later? I was looking at this:
https://www.amazon.com/Plus-748470-Premium-Drive-Water/dp/B01G0PVYNU/

Will that be an overkill?
Yes you could run 25 feet AS LONG as your res outside tent is higher so gravity will feed it. I use 1/2 hose made by GH for the waterfarms. You dont use a pump, its gravity fed, and tops off when the water goes down and lowers float, like in your toilet. 400 gph pump would handle them 2 buckets plus 2 more when you upgrade.

What size tent is that? Is it a 3x3 you have 5 buckets crammed into?
Its actually smaller than that. Its 33x33x63

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

What size tent is that? Is it a 3x3 you have 5 buckets crammed into?
Ya that was when i was just running 4 buckets. I have it in a 4x8 tent now under 2 1k mh/hps with all 8 buckets.. I am only growing in 7 because thats all the autos i had.. Im running autos while my moms for my future run grow, so i dont get bored :)

mandalaman

mandalaman

Fuck it. I'm gonna grab 2 more buckets then. Then I can build a complete two bucket system external from my current grow and test it. Next nute change I'll take out the two buckets and drop the lids onto the already built two bucket undercurrent system and move that into the tent. Then I can build out the other two now empty buckets and when those two plants finish I'll be ready to start with 4 sites. That'll be a fun project to keep me busy for the next week. That picture of all 5 8gallons Setup in a 3x3 really really helped dude :) thanks

The 18gal tank I have is about a 5gal bucket off the ground. That enough for gravity to feed it?

Does the control bucket also need to be higher than the other sites?

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Fuck it. I'm gonna grab 2 more buckets then. Then I can build a complete two bucket system external from my current grow and test it. Next nute change I'll take out the two buckets and drop the lids onto the already built two bucket undercurrent system and move that into the tent. Then I can build out the other two now empty buckets and when those two plants finish I'll be ready to start with 4 sites. That'll be a fun project to keep me busy for the next week. That picture of all 5 8gallons Setup in a 3x3 really really helped dude :) thanks

The 18gal tank I have is about a 5gal bucket off the ground. That enough for gravity to feed it?

Does the control bucket also need to be higher than the other sites?
no the control bucket has to be exactly the same as the grow buckets. And you only use a float valve in the control bucket to keep your water level at a certain mark. The float valve is only hooked to your outside res.

Any reason NOT to get that 700gph one I posted? If I have a float valve on that feedback as well than it should be fine right?
you can use the 700 gph but you need to get a ball valve to control water pressure flow.
And I'm not for sure what you mean by float valve on feed back. No float valve anywhere but control bucket allowing water in from out side res ONLY. It has nothing to do with the circulation of the pump and grow buckets. The outside res and the float valve in control bucket is only used so you can maintain your water level in your system. .

mandalaman

mandalaman

no the control bucket has to be exactly the same as the grow buckets. And you only use a float valve in the control bucket to keep your water level at a certain mark. The float valve is only hooked to your outside res.

you can use the 700 gph but you need to get a ball valve to control water pressure flow.
And I'm not for sure what you mean by float valve on feed back. No float valve anywhere but control bucket allowing water in from out side res ONLY. It has nothing to do with the circulation of the pump and grow buckets. The outside res and the float valve in control bucket is only used so you can maintain your water level in your system. .

Ok, that makes sense. For some reason I thought the smaller diameter feed back to the control bucket from the water pump also had to be on a float valve. But I guess it's not neccesary because as it fills up the water pressure will force itself through the system. Not sure why that wasn't clicking before :)

I have a ball valve at the T where the feed back branches off the main water line. Will that suffice or would it need to be between the pump and the control site?

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Ok, that makes sense. For some reason I thought the smaller diameter feed back to the control bucket from the water pump also had to be on a float valve. But I guess it's not neccesary because as it fills up the water pressure will force itself through the system. Not sure why that wasn't clicking before :)

I have a ball valve at the T where the feed back branches off the main water line. Will that suffice or would it need to be between the pump and the control site?
Yep between pump and control bucket.

mandalaman

mandalaman

@EventHorizan Grabbed 2 more buckets today, 25ft of 1/2" tubing with float valve. Game on!!

Question on the tubing from RO Rez to control bucket... does it matter how I feed the tube into the RO Rez? Can I feed it in through the cover and just push it all the way to the bottom?

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

@EventHorizan Grabbed 2 more buckets today, 25ft of 1/2" tubing with float valve. Game on!!

Question on the tubing from RO Rez to control bucket... does it matter how I feed the tube into the RO Rez? Can I feed it in through the cover and just push it all the way to the bottom?
Nope. Unfortunately your gonna have to get a 1/2 grommet and a 1/2 extender ...
This is what it looks like. I posted a pic of a plastic 1/2 T,,,,,,
you need just straight 1/2 inch straight extender. One side will fit in the grommet and other in your hose... you need to get a shut 9th valve so you can do system change outs with out your reservoir continuing to feed...
Like this

Last edited:
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Post some pics set out in the way your gonna build it, so i can see how you plan to do it?

mandalaman

mandalaman

Perfect. I just so happened to grab a bunch of extra grommets and connectors as well as a shut off valve.

Ok, so I have this 18G tank that my RO feeds into around 25FT from where my control bucket will be:
IMG 2649

Now, you are saying I must put the grommet for the line that will be going from that blue tank to the control bucket on the BOTTOM of the blue tank? Or could I insert it through the lid (pictured above, upside down) and push it down to the bottom of the tank? I understand the connection of how the line feeds into the control bucket (with a float valve, right below the "Handle" section of the control bucket), I just want to confirm on the blue tank. It is going to be a pain in the ass if I have to drill the hole on the bottom instead of just through the top. I wasn't sure if I went through the top and created a backflow (like siphoning gasoline) that it would work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom