Newb first time grower starting to feel like I have a black thumb...

• Thread starter Nate_in_AK
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

My first growing experience has been a bit of a mess.

Feminized auto-flower seeds from seedsman.
1 x Blackberry Kush
1 x Bubbagum

Germination in paper-towels went perfectly, and both sprouts were 'planted' into rockwool on Feb 11th. Both sprouts popped up from the rockwool on the 13th, but on the 14th the Bubbagum sprout was looking sad and wilty:
Sad sprout

That problem was caused by over-soaked rockwool, but the little guy recovered well enough once I got it dried out a bit.
Feb. 16th they both looked much better:
Happy sprouts

The next few days were awesome!
Feb 23rd, still going strong:
Tiny green

Then came Saturday morning, February 29th!!!!
Dying bbk

My Blackberry Kush looked like the Evil Jolly Green Giant farted on it, and pH was suddenly way up; the test kit showed green.
I learned two things that day:
  1. VPD is a thing and I should care about it.
  2. I need to keep a close eye on that pH!
I corrected the pH, and setup a humidifier. After some tweaking got the tent to 75F @ 75% humidity. (RH had been around 20% before!!)
By March 2nd the BBK had perked right up, but was showing some damage:
Angry bbk

For the next week it was difficult for me to be patient, and I suspect I jumped the gun when I topped both plants on March 6th.
Looking back, I realize growth had been slowing down prior to the topping. Once I chopped them, growth damn near halted immediately., and while things didn't look terrible to me, something seemed wrong. Here they are on March 8th:
March 08

(Blackbeery Kush on the left, Bubbagum on the right)

Having a deficit of patience, I decided this looked like a deficit of nutrients. My first nutrient load was around 30% of the vendor recommended potency. It was about time to change the water, so I mixed the new load at 100%. This too, was probably a dumb rookie move.

On Monday I figured out what had really been wrong. My air pump was not making any bubbles. My poor babies were drowning. I corrected the issue and things have gotten better over the past few days, and here are current pictures:
Bbk today
Bubbagum today

Grow info:
  • 4' wide, 2' deep, 5.5' high tent.
  • DWC (no top drip)
  • Delicious Alaskan tap water (really, it comes out of the faucet at 6.5pH and tastes great!)
  • Phlizon 900W LED, at least 24" above plants
  • Active Aqua 15L 4 port air pump - 2x stones per bucket
  • Growth Science Nutrients Base + Solid Start
  • pH tested daily with color drop kit
  • EC/ppm on order
  • AC Infinity fan controller w/ humidity and temp + charcoal filter
  • One tent flap is about 1/2 open for air intake
  • Water level approx 1" below bottom of pots.
  • Roots slightly tan. No odor, no slime. I assume just nutrient staining.
  • There is an ultrasonic humidifier running full time, as well as a small fan to keep air circulating. The fan is NOT blowing directly on the plants.
  • I never spray the plants with anything.
  • Target temp = 75F
  • Target RH = 75%
I think that about covers everything so far. I don't know if I have a specific question, but wonder how this looks from an experienced viewpoint. Are things going well enough for a first timer? Do these plants look about the right size for their age? Can someone tell me it's all going to be OK? HAHA!!

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
My first growing experience has been a bit of a mess.

Feminized auto-flower seeds from seedsman.
1 x Blackberry Kush
1 x Bubbagum

Germination in paper-towels went perfectly, and both sprouts were 'planted' into rockwool on Feb 11th. Both sprouts popped up from the rockwool on the 13th, but on the 14th the Bubbagum sprout was looking sad and wilty:
View attachment 949609
That problem was caused by over-soaked rockwool, but the little guy recovered well enough once I got it dried out a bit.
Feb. 16th they both looked much better:
View attachment 949610
The next few days were awesome!
Feb 23rd, still going strong:
View attachment 949611

Then came Saturday morning, February 29th!!!!
View attachment 949614
My Blackberry Kush looked like the Evil Jolly Green Giant farted on it, and pH was suddenly way up; the test kit showed green.
I learned two things that day:
  1. VPD is a thing and I should care about it.
  2. I need to keep a close eye on that pH!
I corrected the pH, and setup a humidifier. After some tweaking got the tent to 75F @ 75% humidity. (RH had been around 20% before!!)
By March 2nd the BBK had perked right up, but was showing some damage:
View attachment 949628
For the next week it was difficult for me to be patient, and I suspect I jumped the gun when I topped both plants on March 6th.
Looking back, I realize growth had been slowing down prior to the topping. Once I chopped them, growth damn near halted immediately., and while things didn't look terrible to me, something seemed wrong. Here they are on March 8th:
View attachment 949631
(Blackbeery Kush on the left, Bubbagum on the right)

Having a deficit of patience, I decided this looked like a deficit of nutrients. My first nutrient load was around 30% of the vendor recommended potency. It was about time to change the water, so I mixed the new load at 100%. This too, was probably a dumb rookie move.

On Monday I figured out what had really been wrong. My air pump was not making any bubbles. My poor babies were drowning. I corrected the issue and things have gotten better over the past few days, and here are current pictures:
View attachment 949633 View attachment 949634

Grow info:
  • 4' wide, 2' deep, 5.5' high tent.
  • DWC (no top drip)
  • Delicious Alaskan tap water (really, it comes out of the faucet at 6.5pH and tastes great!)
  • Phlizon 900W LED, at least 24" above plants
  • Active Aqua 15L 4 port air pump - 2x stones per bucket
  • Growth Science Nutrients Base + Solid Start
  • pH tested daily with color drop kit
  • EC/ppm on order
  • AC Infinity fan controller w/ humidity and temp + charcoal filter
  • One tent flap is about 1/2 open for air intake
  • Water level approx 1" below bottom of pots.
  • Roots slightly tan. No odor, no slime. I assume just nutrient staining.
  • There is an ultrasonic humidifier running full time, as well as a small fan to keep air circulating. The fan is NOT blowing directly on the plants.
  • I never spray the plants with anything.
  • Target temp = 75F
  • Target RH = 75%
I think that about covers everything so far. I don't know if I have a specific question, but wonder how this looks from an experienced viewpoint. Are things going well enough for a first timer? Do these plants look about the right size for their age? Can someone tell me it's all going to be OK? HAHA!!

Good Save! ā˜ŗ

What is your current PPM? I am going to guess that it is way too high. At this stage of growth it probably should not exceed 250 ppm. Based on your narrative, i would suggest an immediate 50% rez change with RO water. This will drop your PPM by 50%. Wait 24 hours and do it again. Rinse and repeat until you get to your target ppm. After each adjustment ensure you PH is "in range" (5.5 - 6.5) and then you wait.

As i did not see any mention of a chiller; i would also suggest a purchase of Hydroguard to ward off Root Rot (RR). If you find your ph falling drastically each day (or more often) remember to check and see that you are not introducing too much air causing excessive agitation.

Patience grasshopper .... šŸ™šŸ˜Š

oh, and don't give up. We on the Farm are here to help you through it. Just hang-out and keep us informed of your progress!

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Thanks for the feedback! Since I don't have an EC/PPM meter, I am off to a bad start. šŸ˜† Once I get the meter I'll be checking this regularly for sure. I was considering thinning out the nutrient mix, but am trying to keep myself from changing things haphazardly. I don't see anything that looks like nutrient burn...would I be rushing to start thinning the mix anyway?

pH has been mostly stable, I've only had to tweak it twice and the 2nd time it was a minor tweak. I'm keeping a close eye on the roots each day when I check the pH. Does stable pH indicate anything good or bad?

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Thanks for the feedback! Since I don't have an EC/PPM meter, I am off to a bad start. šŸ˜† Once I get the meter I'll be checking this regularly for sure. I was considering thinning out the nutrient mix, but am trying to keep myself from changing things haphazardly. I don't see anything that looks like nutrient burn...would I be rushing to start thinning the mix anyway?

pH has been mostly stable, I've only had to tweak it twice and the 2nd time it was a minor tweak. I'm keeping a close eye on the roots each day when I check the pH. Does stable pH indicate anything good or bad?

Stable is a good! thing.

Soon is better. Until you get a meter, follow 50% rez change out every 24 hours for 3 days and you should be safe. 1st change will reduce ppm by 50%. After 2nd change your ppm should be around 25% of the original strength. After the third you will be at 12.5% of the original strength. I am suggesting 3 rounds based on your narrative in which you sad you did a feeding of 100% strength, plus your original 30% of recommended dosage. That should get you close enough until you get a meter. A PPM/EC and PH meter/test are required to do hydro correctly/successfully. šŸ„‚ šŸ»

Last edited:
Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

New pictures from when I had the pot lids off to thin the nutrient mix. I should have used an extra light, the bleeding blurple seems to be throwing the color off.

Bubbagum seems to be doing OK...
IMG 20200312 155031
IMG 20200312 155036

I'm a little concerned about how short and wide it is growing... seems like it should be taller by now?

BB Kush is still plodding along, not dead yet!
IMG 20200312 155327
IMG 20200312 155333

She's short and squat too.

Nutrients should be around 50% manufacturer suggested potency now. I'll check the pH again in a few hours to make sure it doesn't run away.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
New pictures from when I had the pot lids off to thin the nutrient mix. I should have used an extra light, the bleeding blurple seems to be throwing the color off.

Bubbagum seems to be doing OK...
View attachment 949931 View attachment 949932
I'm a little concerned about how short and wide it is growing... seems like it should be taller by now?

BB Kush is still plodding along, not dead yet!
View attachment 949933 View attachment 949934
She's short and squat too.

Nutrients should be around 50% manufacturer suggested potency now. I'll check the pH again in a few hours to make sure it doesn't run away.

Excellent! šŸ»
Actually; short & squat is a good thing. It means that you have lots of opportunity to train. Are you planning on using a scrog net?

p.s. Next time you pull the tops, lets have some photos of the roots please!

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

> Are you planning on using a scrog net?

I've had so many hiccups, I didn't get that far. To be honest, I'm a bit confused about the net process, because in all the pictures is LOOKS like the screen is incidental. Is the screen load-bearing to help support the limbs/branches?

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
> Are you planning on using a scrog net?

I've had so many hiccups, I didn't get that far. To be honest, I'm a bit confused about the net process, because in all the pictures is LOOKS like the screen is incidental. Is the screen load-bearing to help support the limbs/branches?

Exactly! If things go according to plan your tops will be so heavy they will need additional support. šŸ˜Š I am finding that the trick seems to be to get it set to the right height for the particular plant being grown. I am on my second grow using a net. It helped, but it was still too low.

As you can see i mis-judged the correct height by just a bit... šŸ˜„
šŸ»

20191124 005906
Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Those girls look tall enough to be in the WNBA!

I read that Indica strains are generally much shorter? Mine are both Indica dominant. Either way, I'm also having a hard time figuring out which screen to order for my 2x4 tent. They all seem to be square, so I'm leaning towards 2 screens of 2x2 size.

Early on in my growing research I read somewhere about how it's called "weed" because it's so easy to grow anywhere. I'm starting to think that was sarcasm that flew over my head.

(stealth edit) I thought you could reduce vertical stretching by keeping the light lower to the plants. Didn't seem to stop them in your case! šŸ˜†

ru knuts

ru knuts

Exactly! If things go according to plan your tops will be so heavy they will need additional support. šŸ˜Š I am finding that the trick seems to be to get it set to the right height for the particular plant being grown. I am on my second grow using a net. It helped, but it was still too low.

As you can see i mis-judged the correct height by just a bit... šŸ˜„
šŸ»
Just a bit? lol

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter

I read that Indica strains are generally much shorter? Mine are both Indica dominant. Either way, I'm also having a hard time figuring out which screen to order for my 2x4 tent. They all seem to be square, so I'm leaning towards 2 screens of 2x2 size.

Early on in my growing research I read somewhere about how it's called "weed" because it's so easy to grow anywhere. I'm starting to think that was sarcasm that flew over my head.

To me scrog in my 2x2 was too much of a PIA. The 2x4 was much easier once i decided to grow only two plants. Last grow (in the photo) there were 4 auto Train Wreck which the vendor lit said would max at about 100cm. SHOCK, they were wrong, but the yield was awesome (check out the end of third time... journal below in my signature) I was also interested in finding a short but plentiful strain. I something in this grow that is a week from harvest and i have no idea what it is. However I would love to grow more. Total height is 14 inches. šŸ˜Š

top two photos are the shortie that i cannot name.

the other two are the first harvest of the top buds from my last grow (shown in the last post).

20200312 154913
20200312 155109
20191214 114034
20191209 165646
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter

(stealth edit) I thought you could reduce vertical stretching by keeping the light lower to the plants. Didn't seem to stop them in your case! šŸ˜†

I kept the lights (kind xl300 + xl600) at the recommended 24 inches as long i had the room. Interestingly enough i never did get burn on the top buds; even the ones that were curved over by the light. Here is a photo to the top bud of the grow. You will notice very little damage and it was up against the light for at least 3 weeks.

20191208 074359
Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

pH was up this afternoon. I cut the nutrient strength in half again and fixed the pH; should now be about 25% of vendor recommendation.

As requested - root pictures.

BlackBerry Kush:
BBKush roots
BBKish2

Bubbagum:
Bubbagum
Bubbagum roots

As previously stated, the roots don't smell odd to me, and they don't feel slimy at all, so I'm hoping there's no issue with the discoloration.

We're 4 weeks out from seed germination today. I feel like they should be doing better, but I gotta give them credit for surviving my abuse at all. šŸ™ƒ

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Gotta thank user ru_knuts for asking about water temp. I realize now I was making an assumption that the tent and water temperature would coincide. I can't buy a chiller right now, so I'll do some research into what I can do to drop the water under 75F. I'm reading that 70F would be better.

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Frozen water bottles. It's a hassle but effective.
I think I'll try it.
I've also switched my exhaust fan to maximum speed full time operation, in hopes it will draw down the temperature a few degrees as well. I was just setting thresholds on the controller and letting it run on auto.

ru knuts

ru knuts

I use Southern AG (cheaper Hydrogard alternative) also in my rez. 1 part Southern AG to 20 parts water and add 1-2 mil of that dillution per gallon of your res. My rez temp hovers around 75 too. I'm working on a DIY chiller. I have 32' of 1/2 hose buried in the ground that's 49-50 degrees.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
pH was up this afternoon. I cut the nutrient strength in half again and fixed the pH; should now be about 25% of vendor recommendation.

As requested - root pictures.

BlackBerry Kush:
View attachment 950227 View attachment 950226

Bubbagum:
View attachment 950229 View attachment 950231

As previously stated, the roots don't smell odd to me, and they don't feel slimy at all, so I'm hoping there's no issue with the discoloration.

We're 4 weeks out from seed germination today. I feel like they should be doing better, but I gotta give them credit for surviving my abuse at all. šŸ™ƒ

Sorry for the delayed response.

You need Hydroguard (or something similar). Quick. That slime on your roots is going to take her our if you don't get something in the rez to eat the bad guys.... šŸ»
The lower right looks better and your color is not bad so you have time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom