Newb first time grower starting to feel like I have a black thumb...

• Thread starter Nate_in_AK
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Right On!! that new growth has nice color and texture. Keep doin' what your doin' 🥂 🍻

p.s. What are your metrics today?
Things have been stable. 75F, 65H, 6.5pH, and water @ 69-70F (rotating frozen water bottles twice a day). Still on the 20% mix from Friday, and plan to change it out this coming Friday. They have not drank (drunk?) much - maybe 1/2 gallon each. The pH climbed up a bit and had to be adjusted over the weekend, but I was under the impression that is to be expected when the plants are absorbing nutrients.

Oh, my EC/PPM meter did not get ordered as I had thought, so I'm still guessing at nutrient levels. I'll be ordering it and some root protection juice as soon as I can.

It feels early for flowers, am I confused? These plants are 35 days from seed today. My light has been on 24/0 (Veg) since they sprouted.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Things have been stable. 75F, 65H, 6.5pH, and water @ 69-70F (rotating frozen water bottles twice a day). Still on the 20% mix from Friday, and plan to change it out this coming Friday. They have not drank (drunk?) much - maybe 1/2 gallon each. The pH climbed up a bit and had to be adjusted over the weekend, but I was under the impression that is to be expected when the plants are absorbing nutrients.

Oh, my EC/PPM meter did not get ordered as I had thought, so I'm still guessing at nutrient levels. I'll be ordering it and some root protection juice as soon as I can.

It feels early for flowers, am I confused? These plants are 35 days from seed today. My light has been on 24/0 (Veg) since they sprouted.

Why are you going to change out the rez just as you get it stabilized?

Your numbers look good. Suggestion: Let your ph swing from 6.5 to 5.5 or there abouts. Different nutes get taken up by the root system depending on the ph. Check out this chart.

No it is not too early for flower. When running autos (that is all i run) you will start seeing flowers right around day 30-35 almost like clockwork. I have had a couple run later and Ms. Purple in my current grow started showing flower at 3 weeks, but then it is only 12 inches tall going on week 13.

I went and dug up my old log that i used on my first three grows. I used it to keep daily details and notes during my grow. It was most helpful in keeping track of what issues came up and what i did to fix it. I still keep a log, i just don't do it daily and i mostly do it online on The Farm. Here is the url; feel free to download and use it if it proves useful. https://drive.google.com/open?id=11o-0MXaNAQe7qcIvRKSryBUdMl1vm8aX

You may also want to copy the chart below and make it a photo/document that you can refer back to.

🍻 🥂

Last edited:
ru knuts

ru knuts

Your numbers look good. Suggestion: Let your ph swing from 6.5 to 5.5 or there abouts. Different nutes get taken up by the root system depending on the ph. Check out this chart.
View attachment 951856

No it is not too early for flower. When running autos (that is all i run) you will start seeing flowers right around day 30-35 almost like clockwork. I have had a couple run later and Ms. Purple in my current grow started showing flower at 3 weeks, but then it is only 12 inches tall going on week 13.

I went and doug up my old log that i used on my first three grows. I used it to keep daily details and notes during my grow. It was most helpful in keeping track of what issues came up and what i did to fix it. I still keep a log, i just don't do it daily and i mostly do it online on The Farm. Here is the url; feel free to download and use it if it proves useful. https://drive.google.com/open?id=11o-0MXaNAQe7qcIvRKSryBUdMl1vm8aX

You may also want to copy the chart below and make it a photo/document that you can refer back to.

View attachment 951854

🍻 🥂
I use that chart religiously. Are you the original creater of it?

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I use that chart religiously. Are you the original creater of it?

No sir i am not. I would like to shake the hand of the person that did though..... it has saved my ass lots of times. It has also kept me from making nervous nellie adjustments that would have only made things worse. 🍻 it truly underscores the importance of keeping an eye on ones PH at least daily in hydro.

ru knuts

ru knuts

No sir i am not. I would like to shake the hand of the person that did though..... it has saved my ass lots of times. It has also kept me from making nervous nellie adjustments that would have only made things worse. 🍻 it truly underscores the importance of keeping an eye on ones PH at least daily in hydro.
Couldn't agree more.

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Uhhh... I'm going to go ahead and guess from your response that the reason might be " cuz I'm dumb " ?

It seems 1-2 weeks is a fairly common recommendation, especially for newblets like myself. Given the water temperature and lack of anti-rotting agent, I surmised that changing it once a week might be the safe choice. It seems like the experienced growers get a handle on the process and can keep topping off the same water for several weeks. At this point, I just want to keep the lettuce alive. :)

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

@AnselAdams - I could only get a blurry version from the Forum of the chart you uploaded, but found a clear copy on the Google. Posting another copy to see if it comes across any better.

Thanks for the chart, this looks like it could be really helpful!
EC PPM Chart

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Uhhh... I'm going to go ahead and guess from your response that the reason might be " cuz I'm dumb " ?

It seems 1-2 weeks is a fairly common recommendation, especially for newblets like myself. Given the water temperature and lack of anti-rotting agent, I surmised that changing it once a week might be the safe choice. It seems like the experienced growers get a handle on the process and can keep topping off the same water for several weeks. At this point, I just want to keep the lettuce alive. :)

OK.
Just wanted to make sure you understood the risk and advantages. You do! 😊 Carry on 🍻

And you are not "dumb" you just showed that.... that is a perfectly good reason, based on research, logic and situational awareness. Certainly not "dumb" sir. Others may not give a shit, but who cares it is your grow. We are all providing "advice" it is the individual that has to process that information and make the decision to do; or not to do. You will do well.

Happy Growing...

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
@AnselAdams - I could only get a blurry version from the Forum of the chart you uploaded, but found a clear copy on the Google. Posting another copy to see if it comes across any better.

Thanks for the chart, this looks like it could be really helpful!
View attachment 951868

Yes, yours is MUCH clearer. Mine is a screenshot of a screenshot at least 4 levels down. Thanks for the fresh copy I never thought to go to their site. D'oh.

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

I've seen some nice growth on Bubbagum the past few days, and a little improvement on BB Kush.

Here is BB Kush, any ideas on why the leaves look awkward, like sort of an "S" shape curve to the leaf?
IMG 20200321 123523

Bubbagum, I think I was wrong about her popping flowers:
IMG 20200321 122816

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

The past 2 weeks have been a little dramatic. After just a few days of healthy growth, things started going badly again, especially for BlackBerry Kush. I believe it was root rot. The roots went from slightly stained to clumps of darkish brown. Thankfully, the universe slipped me a tiny break, and I had finally ordered anti-fungal a few days prior. I'm now armed with both anti-fungal, AND a PPM meter. They have both started to flower. I'm hesitant to ramp the nutrients up too quickly and trigger another event of some sort. I have the BBK @ 500PPM, and the BubbaGum @ 650PPM.

Black Berry Kush:
IMG 20200405 155410
IMG 20200405 155508

BubbaGum:
IMG 20200405 155404
IMG 20200405 155453

BBK / BBG:
IMG 20200405 155417

At this point I have managed to over-water them as sprouts, drown them in veg week 2 (air pump mishap), I ran the humidity way too low for a while, then let the water in the pots get too warm and caused root rot.

I wonder what I will fumble next that ends up trying to kill them. 🔥💨⚡

Why is there no cannabis emoji?

ru knuts

ru knuts

The past 2 weeks have been a little dramatic. After just a few days of healthy growth, things started going badly again, especially for BlackBerry Kush. I believe it was root rot. The roots went from slightly stained to clumps of darkish brown. Thankfully, the universe slipped me a tiny break, and I had finally ordered anti-fungal a few days prior. I'm now armed with both anti-fungal, AND a PPM meter. They have both started to flower. I'm hesitant to ramp the nutrients up too quickly and trigger another event of some sort. I have the BBK @ 500PPM, and the BubbaGum @ 650PPM.

Black Berry Kush:
View attachment 957886 View attachment 957889

BubbaGum:
View attachment 957885 View attachment 957888

BBK / BBG:
View attachment 957887

At this point I have managed to over-water them as sprouts, drown them in veg week 2 (air pump mishap), I ran the humidity way too low for a while, then let the water in the pots get too warm and caused root rot.

I wonder what I will fumble next that ends up trying to kill them. 🔥💨⚡

Why is there no cannabis emoji?
Wait till they are healthy before ramping up the nutrient. They are still in the recovery mode. Have you started them up on hyroguard or other yet?

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

1 week later....

BBK hasn't died yet, still looks like it has one foot in the grave, but it continues to suck up water+nutes, and is making flowers.
BBK topview
BBK leaf
BBK flower

I believe most of the yellowing in the leaves is from the root-rot fiasco.

BubbaGum is getting so dense I have to put on jungle gear and take a machete with me to go exploring. I'm excited about this baby!!
Bubba topview

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
1 week later....

BBK hasn't died yet, still looks like it has one foot in the grave, but it continues to suck up water+nutes, and is making flowers.
View attachment 961024 View attachment 961023 View attachment 961022

I believe most of the yellowing in the leaves is from the root-rot fiasco.

BubbaGum is getting so dense I have to put on jungle gear and take a machete with me to go exploring. I'm excited about this baby!!
View attachment 961025

BBK looks good considering the ass beating it has taken 😊 Nice to see that it is flowering. Keep an eye on your cal\mag and don't over do it. Remember small changes. Right now my suggestion is patience (put a hold on the nutes and see what they look like in a week).

Looking good Nate! Keep it up, you will get something that can be smoked (quality questionable); however the learning experience gained for your next grow will be invaluable. 🥂🍻

** Plant Doctor Site **

Last edited:
Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Seems like a good time for an update. I didn't intend for this to be a grow log, but I didn't imagine I would have so many troubles either.

Environmentally, everything has been awesome. Temp 68-70F, Humidity 40-50%, pH 5.5-6.5 with rare adjustments, PPM700ish, EC 1.5. I refilled both buckets Sunday. Bubbagum was down more than I realized and took 2+ gallons. BBK was closer to 1.5 gallons. I mixed my new water to be as identical as possible to the existing water as far as nutrients and pH.

Bubbagum is doing awesome, best I can tell.
IMG 20200422 112116
IMG 20200422 112126

BBK looks freakish to me, but she keeps on truckin' - roots seem to remain clean. I've been tempted to chop off the browned leaves, but have resisted the urge so far. Folks say autos are fragile by nature, so after all the abuse I already inflicted on her, I'll just let her do her thing as long as she keeps progressing.
IMG 20200422 112133
IMG 20200422 112141

@AnselAdams - I missed your comment last week about keeping an eye on Cal/Mag. Can you explain a little more please... like I'm a 5th grader? 😁

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Quick update on Bubbagum: She's looking nice best I can tell. I'm hoping she'll be ready for harvest by mid-June. Any predictions?

Blackberry Kush is still alive... and she a SMELLY GIRL (in a good way), those buds are so small though. I'm thinking I'll just let her keep growing until I harvest Bubbagum?

Top Bottom