Newbie.....1st Grow And Need Help

• Thread starter hyperxtechie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

hyperxtechie

Hello Everyone! Newbie here, been lurking here in the forums trying to soak up as much game as I can on growing.

It's my first grow and I don't think things are well. My plants don't really look like some healthy plants I've seen in other pics. There's so much similar things on how to diagnose a plant, I'm having trouble figuring out if I'm overwatering, underwatering, etc. I think I've overwatered my plant in the beginning and didn't transplant until it may have gotten root bound is what I'm thinking. Please let me know what you think of the pics. To me, seems like things are going really slow and leaves are growing slow. Also, does purple veins underneath the leaves mean anything? I picked up this clone on 3/3 so it's almost a month now I've been in veg. I'm also wondering when I should start giving her nutes. I think I burned my other plant in the beginning and gave a bit much to this one in the beginning so kinda scared about that now and not really sure when I should be adding them back in. I hear when you have soil like Fox Farms Ocean Forest, you may not need to give it nutes for awhile.

Here's some info & pics:

Strain: Guava Jelly (CBD)
Medium: Fox Farms Ocean Forest

Any help and advice much appreciated. Thank you!

Newbie1st grow and need help
Newbie1st grow and need help 2
Newbie1st grow and need help 3
Newbie1st grow and need help 4
Newbie1st grow and need help 5

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
A few questions to help us, help you.

How often do you water? Are you checking pH and PPM/EC before you water? If so, what are your readings? How about humidity, room temp, CO2 levels? What lights are you running? How long is your daily photoperiod?

I would ditch those plastic grow bags in my humble opinion. Or at the very least, put a few additional drain holes in them because I don't personally believe that they provide enough air to the roots and cause root issues, but that's just my opinion and I don't have any proof to back that up other than experience. Hard pots are better than plastic grow bags, in my opinion. I would go for Smart Pots if I were inclined to stick with a bag style pot.

Those don't look too bad. I've been hearing Fox Farm's Ocean Forest isn't as good as it once was. I stopped using soil a couple years ago, so I'm not sure.

At that size I wouldn't be using much nutes if any at all. Less is more when the plants are young. 3/3 isn't a month ago, just less than 3 weeks, so not a bad start. Looks like a little cal-mag might do some justice.

Just as a general tip for watering that I like to give out - some people think overwatering means giving it too much water at once. What it actually means is giving it too much water, too frequently. Not letting the soil dry out a little will cause root rot and other issues. Which is where more drainage holes will help. I've found that those plastic bags tend to keep moisture a little TOO well, not allowing enough air to the roots.

I like to suggest that you take note of how heavy the pot is after you water it. Pick it up and get a good feel for it, and do this every day. Also doesn't hurt to "turn" or "stir" the top 2 or 3 inches of soil each and every day. This allows for better aeration and bugs don't like to live in soil that is disturbed every day. Also gives you a better idea of when it's time to water. If you stick your fingers in the soil 2 or 3 inches and it feels dry as a bone, it's time to water.

Other than that your plants look ok.

H

hyperxtechie

Thank you for your tips and suggestions @Deadstill !

Some of the answers to your questions:

- I water about every 3 - 4 days.
- I am checking PH of my water which I try to dial into 6.3 before I water. I always have to put lime juice in the water because my tap water always reads around 7+. I haven't been checking PPM/EC. What do you suggest for PPM/EC numbers for my plants this age?
- Room temp I keep around 75 degrees F and probably drops to 65 degrees F during lights off at night. I do the 18/6 lights On/Off. Humidity is between 50-60%.
- The light I run is a 1500 watt grow light from KingLED

I believe I do have the smart pots, these are the fabric aeration pots they're in. I will let it dry out a little more the next I water it then. And you recommend I put a little cal-mag into it the next time I water?

Thanks again!

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Thank you for your tips and suggestions @Deadstill !

Some of the answers to your questions:

- I water about every 3 - 4 days.
- I am checking PH of my water which I try to dial into 6.3 before I water. I always have to put lime juice in the water because my tap water always reads around 7+. I haven't been checking PPM/EC. What do you suggest for PPM/EC numbers for my plants this age?
- Room temp I keep around 75 degrees F and probably drops to 65 degrees F during lights off at night. I do the 18/6 lights On/Off. Humidity is between 50-60%.
- The light I run is a 1500 watt grow light from KingLED

I believe I do have the smart pots, these are the fabric aeration pots they're in. I will let it dry out a little more the next I water it then. And you recommend I put a little cal-mag into it the next time I water?

Thanks again!

Oh ok in the pictures it sort of looked like the plastic bag type pots, sorry.

Everything else looks good. What's the ppm of your water out the tap? This early on I would keep with plain, ph'd water, then start alternating food and water. So one day you water with just ph'd water, then let them dry out some, then water with a little nute in it. I would go 1/4 strength of manufacturer recommended. Which, btw, what nutrients do you have?

Couldn't hurt to add a little cal-mag. Just once at this point. Again, 1/2 or 1/4 strength on that. I would go a little higher on the pH since you are growing in soil. The general threshold for soil pH is 6.8-7.3 depending on what kind of nutes you're using, etc.

Good luck let me know if you have any more questions and anyone else feel free to chime in :D

tekj2000

tekj2000

Hello Everyone! Newbie here, been lurking here in the forums trying to soak up as much game as I can on growing.

It's my first grow and I don't think things are well. My plants don't really look like some healthy plants I've seen in other pics. There's so much similar things on how to diagnose a plant, I'm having trouble figuring out if I'm overwatering, underwatering, etc. I think I've overwatered my plant in the beginning and didn't transplant until it may have gotten root bound is what I'm thinking. Please let me know what you think of the pics. To me, seems like things are going really slow and leaves are growing slow. Also, does purple veins underneath the leaves mean anything? I picked up this clone on 3/3 so it's almost a month now I've been in veg. I'm also wondering when I should start giving her nutes. I think I burned my other plant in the beginning and gave a bit much to this one in the beginning so kinda scared about that now and not really sure when I should be adding them back in. I hear when you have soil like Fox Farms Ocean Forest, you may not need to give it nutes for awhile.

Here's some info & pics:

Strain: Guava Jelly (CBD)
Medium: Fox Farms Ocean Forest
hyperxtechie---please let me,us, know how this strain of cbd comes out---I myself am searching for a CBD strain to go after--thanks, Rookie !!

Any help and advice much appreciated. Thank you!

View attachment 862596 View attachment 862597 View attachment 862598 View attachment 862599 View attachment 862600

H

hyperxtechie

I haven't measured ppm on my tap yet, will make sure to do that next time. The nutes I have is Flora Nova Grow & Bloom. I also got some Calmag which I'll be using soon one time as you suggested. Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it!

@tekj2000 - I'll definitely let you know how this guava jelly is. It's a 2:1 CBD strain. My other plant I'm growing is Chocolate Tonic, also a 2:1 CBD strain. I'll probably be looking for a higher CBD ratio strain to grow next time. Let me know if you find one good, thanks!

Top Bottom