Newbie-dying Leaves In Veg

• Thread starter Pete34
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Pete34

Newbie dying leaves in veg
Hello-

I’m somewhat of a newbie. Have plants in veg. Using Heavy 16 line. 70/30 soil. The lights are in cooling tubes and are in the middle, positioned to produce light from the side of the plants—not over the top. I’m in week 7 and I’ve noticed in the past couple weeks that the lower growth is dying. Leaves are shriveled up and falling off. The upper 80% of the plant is in good shape. I feed about every other day. Picture included. I’m having a hard time identifying the problem. Just about all the plants are having the same issue. Any insight would be very much appreciated! Thx

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Hard to say until we see pics of leaves before they die off.

Shriveled leaves all look the same to me. Dead and crispy.

Some die off is to be expected as the plant grows and their stored nutrients are mobilized to keep the overall plant healthy.

Check the new growth. If it’s healthy and green with no signs of stress then you might be ok.

P

Pete34

Often times this is due to light penetration/over growth issues. Can we see a photo of the entire plant?
Thanks friends. The new growth looks really good actually. Weak light penetration would make total sense. I’ll adjust. If it continues I’ll be back. Thank u again-much appreciated!

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

Outdoor plants also shed more than indoor plants just from the elements and the pure randomness of being outdoors. Those lowers are where she chooses to shed them when she has the choice. If it climbs up to light receiving leaves or becomes faster, there's problems. Also, you should ask for help in the future before they're dried and crinkled if possible. Not saying anything about this time, just that the difference between full health and genetic expression and low quality plants is attention to detail and daily viewing and inspection.

P

Pete34

D3558E6A 8B39 4F13 8562 C6CEC8975A02
40228AB5 1C1F 459D 8EF5 730C78E55719
FC5B8E2B 8A9D 4E94 9C91 67AE61AFCE64
EF4AF290 7079 4432 BFC5 710D549146B4
134A5071 22B9 4FC4 88E5 C2D82132D3B2
596C5F57 62F2 44E1 92F8 EC86B5EE90E5
9ACB184C 7A91 44D4 AB87 AAE28E227323
775759C6 647C 4E53 9669 1A937CDB08D1
Thank you very much for the input. When I came today a whole new wave of dead leaves has happened. They turn shitty and krinkly pretty quickly. Attached are a few more pics of upper portions and lower-where I’m having the problem. It really just started the last week or two. My little AC unit is broken and temps have been in mid 80s. I want to flip these to flower soon but want to reestablish their health beforehand. Again-environment is:

Heavy 16-whole line
70/30 soil
Feed every other day
83-88 degrees
40% humidity
Side-lighting

Any insight very appreciated!
Learning over here.

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

View attachment 831394 View attachment 831395 View attachment 831396 View attachment 831397 View attachment 831398 View attachment 831399 View attachment 831400 View attachment 831401 Thank you very much for the input. When I came today a whole new wave of dead leaves has happened. They turn shitty and krinkly pretty quickly. Attached are a few more pics of upper portions and lower-where I’m having the problem. It really just started the last week or two. My little AC unit is broken and temps have been in mid 80s. I want to flip these to flower soon but want to reestablish their health beforehand. Again-environment is:

Heavy 16-whole line
70/30 soil
Feed every other day
83-88 degrees
40% humidity
Side-lighting

Any insight very appreciated!
Learning over here.
Hard to tell with the limited info but I would say something in the roots...
Either lockout from salt build up
Some kind of rot or bad bacteria from overwatering
Some kind of root bug like Fingus gnats or root aphid
All those things can cause the rootzone to be way to acidic so the ph is way low causing this kind of damage.

P

Pete34

All those things can cause the rootzone to be way to acidic so the ph is way low causing this kind of damage.
Thank you very much. I don’t think it’s from OVERwatering. So I’ll try to fix salt problem with a heavy water feed?
And as far as the gnats or root aphid go-I’ll research and figure out an attack plan. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks again

P

Pete34

I have seen some tiny bugs low on the tree. Not mites. And have a hard time finding them when I look. Very tiny.

rootexcess

rootexcess

Man, I don't know where to start. Thats an unruly mess. I think you need to look into better plant/canopy management. Not trying to be offensive, but I'm not shocked to see problems. Start pruning off all the lower, worthless branching.

S

Shawnery

Looking at those big sun leaf photos doesn't it look like to much N? They're really green and clawing at the front of a lot of them.

Just a thought not that it has anything to do with the issue.

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

Thank you very much. I don’t think it’s from OVERwatering. So I’ll try to fix salt problem with a heavy water feed?
And as far as the gnats or root aphid go-I’ll research and figure out an attack plan. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks again
You aren’t in flower yet are you?
What I would do is...
First like was said I would start by trimming away all dead leaves and unruly little branches from the bottom up. Raise her skirt if you will. And take off anything unhealthy or not in good lighting. Give the bottom of the plant some breathing room maybe 1/4 to 1/3 up from the bottom
Then transplant. You don’t need to go bigger pot if you don’t want but take it out of the pot and take a look at the roots. If you see anything obvious like bugs you can adjust from there. If not just kinda massage the roots a little to open them up then re pot giving some kind of root stimulated (myko, great white, +life, any microbial). Then get on a consistent feed schedule and give benificial microbials. Feed light and try to get those roots happy.
Make sure you get them happy before you flip or you are asking for a world of lockout trouble all thru flower
Don’t be afraid to cut some back. You’ll be surprised how much they fill out during stretch.

Organikz

Organikz

I'm going to agree with @Thejoeybrown and say you have unhappy roots. Most likely overwatering. That usually causes the leaf kicks. It's actually a potassium deficiency because the ionic makeup of potassium makes it very water soluble and it leaches from the root zone easily.

P

Pete34

Thank u so much guys! Very much appreciated.
You aren’t in flower yet are you?
What I would do is...
First like was said I would start by trimming away all dead leaves and unruly little branches from the bottom up. Raise her skirt if you will. And take off anything unhealthy or not in good lighting. Give the bottom of the plant some breathing room maybe 1/4 to 1/3 up from the bottom
Then transplant. You don’t need to go bigger pot if you don’t want but take it out of the pot and take a look at the roots. If you see anything obvious like bugs you can adjust from there. If not just kinda massage the roots a little to open them up then re pot giving some kind of root stimulated (myko, great white, +life, any microbial). Then get on a consistent feed schedule and give benificial microbials. Feed light and try to get those roots happy.
Make sure you get them happy before you flip or you are asking for a world of lockout trouble all thru flower
Don’t be afraid to cut some back. You’ll be surprised how much they fill out during stretch.
One more thing: I’ve found a few tiny mite webs. Could that be contributing as well to the problem? Like to the issues that are shown in the pics? I’ve taken over a grow in mid cycle so I’m trying to diagnose the preexisting issues. Thank you again!

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

Thank u so much guys! Very much appreciated.

One more thing: I’ve found a few tiny mite webs. Could that be contributing as well to the problem? Like to the issues that are shown in the pics? I’ve taken over a grow in mid cycle so I’m trying to diagnose the preexisting issues. Thank you again!
Post up some pics.
I wouldn’t say that the issues are from mites persay, but problems compound. So an environment in which one problem thrives invites other issues

P

Pete34

Post up some pics.
I wouldn’t say that the issues are from mites persay, but problems compound. So an environment in which one problem thrives invites other issues
Here’s a couple more pics of the bottoms of two plants and then the top. Interestingly I’ve fed only water the last 2 feeds and the issue has seemed to have halted. At least in terms of spreading. The light is a bit crappy and the temp was up to 90 for a few days. Again I’ve taken over a grow that is set up differently than anything ive been involved with in my short experience of growing.

Congrats on photo of the month thejoeybrown!!! Frosty!
257044AF 59E5 42BF 8EF2 316F3DB037A0
44AA0070 0F77 4A3E 993E D785DE71AF7E
3693A0A3 F8C5 4B49 9B51 5E010B39FCBF
1F8971D3 FFF6 4B38 9769 1DC10BE3009F

Thanks again for ur time;)

S

Shawnery

Isn't it pretty thick down there and need a trim? Couldn't this be caused by a lack of air movement in that area?

P

Pete34

Isn't it pretty thick down there and need a trim? Couldn't this be caused by a lack of air movement in that area?
That could be the main problem. Plus temp has been too high in there. I’ll trim them up and see how that goes. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Top Bottom