Newbie here first time growing outside need to know how to top plant and when?

• Thread starter Eddiejay
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
patiofarmer

patiofarmer

You may have to adjust every day or every other, they get back vertical quickly, that's why i use document clips to tie to instead of holes in my pot. I can just sort of walk the branch around the pot like hands on a clock. I'll add a couple pictures later when I can get into my tent, but by then u prob will have seen a video. The patio girls are all tucked into their wind break shelter for the all day t-storms today.

Eddiejay

Eddiejay

I honestly just watched a few youtube vids about it, a lot of people said not to top autos because of the stress (i did anyway to see what would happen, topped my only indica so i wouldn't just get 1 bud) Mr. Canucks grow was helpful, but if there's someone u like growing on there they prob have info on it. I waited til they were about 6-7 inches tall, picked a spot under the 1st node, and tied it to a document clip on my fabric pot. If you have experience with topping just pretend that's what you are doing without actually cutting it off. You want to move it out of the way so that the lower branches think it's their time to shine. It's a pretty intuitive process that you will prob match to whatever philosophy you already have about the plants. I think about it like I want to train my dog to do something, shes a genius already, I just have to communicate it in a way that she can understand. With this method you are still convincing the plant that it needs new tops without cutting one off and stressing her out.
My general advice for a first timer because I seem to stumble on all the blocks haha, 1 go slow, you can always do more lst tomorrow (well into flower for some growers) 2 go slow, watch to see how they are reacting (some genetics like it more than others) 3 go slow, when you are tying them down pay attention to the stalk, at the soil so root ball isnt disturbed, and for folding especially in less woody girls (i came back 20 min after 1 session and found the main stalk of my fav patio girl at 90 degree bend, gave her a soft cast with garden ties, shes ok). 4 go whatever speed you want, haha. After a week or 2 its super easy, you will look at ur plant and know where and how you want to train.
All this talk of tying things down and the poor plants don't even get a safe word...
Thanks so much for the info! Lol on the safe word! Have a good one. I will keep you guys updated. Thanks again

Eddiejay

Eddiejay

Here is an update guys.. didn't go with topping them just let them go because I didn't want to kill them. Lol so here they are with another month to go. Thanks for the info guys

20210904 165152
20210904 165207
20210904 165212
20210904 165229
20210904 190236
20210904 190242
Eddiejay

Eddiejay

The white one went threw some hard times from the get go. It was not a good seed , and about 3 weeks in the bucket there in now fell over and the hole plant was covered with dirt.... so i just picked it back up and put her back in the dirt. So thats why it looks like it does. That top bud is 22inches long and big as round as 5 or 6 inches. cant wait to try em out. Now i wish i would of topped that one to have 3 or 4 buds that big at the top would of been great! next year i will be topping them forsure... one bud did get topped with the weed wacker and yes i know i shouldnt had the wacker anywhere near them! lol but it just got the top of one bud and now there is 3 buds in that site. well just wanted to give an update for you guys ... Hope everyones plants are good and will treat you well !

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Looking good! I’d love to get one of those purple pistoled Girls. Beautiful!

Top Bottom