Newbie hydro help stunted growth

• Thread starter Ner0z
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ner0z

Ner0z

Nutes are on week two of posted feed chart, I'm running sterile rez and because of Canadian problems no hydroguard, and armor si is supplements with grotek pro-silicate. 74F rez. Adding 2ml/g h202. Did a rez clean/change cause I saw some floaters and have 0 new root/plant growth for 8 days and have drooping and yellowing. 5.8ph. 1300gph air pump. 4.5in discs. 800gph recirculating pump. Brown on roots, no slime, no smell. Also Using flora plus (soy sauce colour) that tends to stain roots brown giving and root rotting look. I topped 10 days ago and they're just going nowhere. Environmental is 24-27c consistently, 65% RH. I know 74f in substrate is higher than I'd ideal but cant afford a chiller I'm stuck with ice packs.for now. Im trying to figure out where I've gone wrong here and how to fix it.

Newbie hydro help stunted growth
Newbie hydro help stunted growth 2
Newbie hydro help stunted growth 3
Newbie hydro help stunted growth 4
Newbie hydro help stunted growth 5
Newbie hydro help stunted growth 6
Newbie hydro help stunted growth 7
Newbie hydro help stunted growth 8
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Nutes are on week two of posted feed chart, I'm running sterile rez and because of Canadian problems no hydroguard, and armor si is supplements with grotek pro-silicate. 74F rez. Adding 2ml/g h202. Did a rez clean/change cause I saw some floaters and have 0 new root/plant growth for 8 days and have drooping and yellowing. 5.8ph. 1300gph air pump. 4.5in discs. 800gph recirculating pump. Brown on roots, no slime, no smell. Also Using flora plus (soy sauce colour) that tends to stain roots brown giving and root rotting look. I topped 10 days ago and they're just going nowhere. Environmental is 24-27c consistently, 65% RH. I know 74f in substrate is higher than I'd ideal but cant afford a chiller I'm stuck with ice packs.for now. Im trying to figure out where I've gone wrong here and how to fix it.
Ok some root decay but early... few questions.

Water temp is ok at that temp but not much higher.

Water source and ppm?

Ph down brand?

How many sites and total water volume (actual not how much the containersare)? 800gph I have a feeling is way to much.

What concentration is your hydrogen peroxide and how often are you using it? This is likely your issue.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have to crash but should be dosing 3% at about 5ml per gal every 3 days. After dosing and letting the system mix a whole pour a cup of res water over the top of the hydroton to get coverage to all the roots. If you don't the roots in the net pot don't get exposed to the h2o2 and therefore can be more susceptible to infection.

Ner0z

Ner0z

Ok some root decay but early... few questions.

Water temp is ok at that temp but not much higher.

Water source and ppm?

Ph down brand?

How many sites and total water volume (actual not how much the containersare)? 800gph I have a feeling is way to much.

What concentration is your hydrogen peroxide and how often are you using it? This is likely your issue.
Water source is RO comes out at 7ppm. My total ppm now is 610ppm. Ph down is unbranded purchased and produced at my local hydro shop. I've been using it a couple years now and never had an issue. Four sites in 5g buckets and a 27 g tote as reservoir. The whole system hold 30gallons total though I plant to expand to 8 sites next grow. I'm using 2ml per gallon h202 28%(60ml in 30g) every rez change and 30ml every 3 days

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Water source is RO comes out at 7ppm. My total ppm now is 610ppm. Ph down is unbranded purchased and produced at my local hydro shop. I've been using it a couple years now and never had an issue. Four sites in 5g buckets and a 27 g tote as reservoir. The whole system hold 30gallons total though I plant to expand to 8 sites next grow. I'm using 2ml per gallon h202 28%(60ml in 30g) every rez change and 30ml every 3 days
Ok you should dilute that before adding with RO water 9 parts water 1 part h2o2. That will give you almost 3% and of that you want to add 5ml per gal of actual water so if 30gal of actual water 150ml. That would equate to about 15ml of your concentrate.

If you add it directly it can burn roots and then they are susceptible to infection. This should be done every 2-3days because it breaks down very fast. You are basically knocking out the bacteria and it start to repopulate and then you knock it down again. It does not stay in the system for an extended period of time like bennies. It reacts and is literally gone in less than 24hrs. So thats how you run a sterile system.

In higher temps bacteria repop very quickly... its not that high temls cause root rot cause they don't but what they do is speed up the metabolism and reproduction rates in turn. Not a bad thing if kept under control as the higher temps also speed up the plants metabolism and you get faster growth.

Imo your issue is not dosing often enough which is key especially at hier temps.

Ner0z

Ner0z

Ok you should dilute that before adding with RO water 9 parts water 1 part h2o2. That will give you almost 3% and of that you want to add 5ml per gal of actual water so if 30gal of actual water 150ml. That would equate to about 15ml of your concentrate.

If you add it directly it can burn roots and then they are susceptible to infection. This should be done every 2-3days because it breaks down very fast. You are basically knocking out the bacteria and it start to repopulate and then you knock it down again. It does not stay in the system for an extended period of time like bennies. It reacts and is literally gone in less than 24hrs. So thats how you run a sterile system.

In higher temps bacteria repop very quickly... its not that high temls cause root rot cause they don't but what they do is speed up the metabolism and reproduction rates in turn. Not a bad thing if kept under control as the higher temps also speed up the plants metabolism and you get faster growth.

Imo your issue is not dosing often enough which is key especially at hier temps.
Thank you very much you absolute legend. I've definitely been over dosing and hurting my roots. I gave 90ml 28% on rez change so this is clearly to much when I should be around 15ml. So dilute to 3% using 150ml / 30G.... I'm going to change my rez and start this immediately and I'll pop back and post changes to the roots when I see improvement if they're not too far gone. Thankyouuuu

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

Aqua man, hitting us with knowledge again 🤣👍🏻 i was literally just trying to refresh my knowledge of H2O2 use in the res so thanks for putting it all in one place for me.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thank you very much you absolute legend. I've definitely been over dosing and hurting my roots. I gave 90ml 28% on rez change so this is clearly to much when I should be around 15ml. So dilute to 3% using 150ml / 30G.... I'm going to change my rez and start this immediately and I'll pop back and post changes to the roots when I see improvement if they're not too far gone. Thankyouuuu
Make sure your adding that dose every 2-3 days. And top feed from the res after some mixing time in the system.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Also take those roots to the tap and clean any brown or slime off... do that as often as needed. A sink sprayer works well just make sure to temp adjust the water.

Ner0z

Ner0z

Alrighty I did all that. When I went to the tap like 80% of the root just fell off it was mostly dead lol. Anyway I top fed them with the h202 added rez water and cleaned them up as best I could. They're still hanging in there and some fresh white roots are coming down out of the net pot. Keeping hope alive thanks again

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Alrighty I did all that. When I went to the tap like 80% of the root just fell off it was mostly dead lol. Anyway I top fed them with the h202 added rez water and cleaned them up as best I could. They're still hanging in there and some fresh white roots are coming down out of the net pot. Keeping hope alive thanks again
Yeah don't even worry if some break off... I mean be gentle but if they break off it's usually because they are in poor shape and that's less for for the pythium.

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

Hey man i was just looking at your pics again and while they are looking good, im noticing a bunch of burnt tips. What are your ppm/ec and pH like? maybe the tips are old damage but incase theyre new i thought i would mention that you might want to back off the nute a tiny wee bit. But looking good though.

Ner0z

Ner0z

Hey man i was just looking at your pics again and while they are looking good, im noticing a bunch of burnt tips. What are your ppm/ec and pH like? maybe the tips are old damage but incase theyre new i thought i would mention that you might want to back off the nute a tiny wee bit. But looking good though.
Good eye mate, last week my ppm drifted up to around 950, so I topped up at 1/4 str and brought it down to 750. They seem happy now. It's rez change day so I was going to see if they can take 800-850 in week 3. Ph is
at 5.8, I give it the odd drop of PH up weekly but for the most part it's pretty stable.

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

Thx mate I'm always down to spend less in nutes. Currently I'm just following the general hydroponics website feed chart. I'd love to learn how to get away from that and add nutrients via ppm value, I just don't know how much ppm of each to add yet (ie Calmag micro grow bloom individually)
The gh feed charts are at the right ratios so mix them up in a 5 gallon bucket and SLOWLY add to your res and watch your ppm until you hit your target number. If you want to be able to adjust each primary and secondary element individually, you can kinda do it with GH flora nutes but otherwise you are getting into mixing your own mineral salts/acids to make your own nutes. I can help you with that if you like but there really isnt a need. If you look at the GH bottles, each one has both an NPK value on the front and a breakdown of its ingredients on the back. The micro is 5-0-1 grow is 2-1-6 and bloom is 0-5-4. If you need one of those numbers to change, then adjust the amount you use from each bottle.. heres a pic that shows the plants nutrient needs as it matures. Notice how they need the most nitrogen during weeks 2-4 of flower? Follow the flow in this graph and gradually give them less grow and more bloom as you switch to flower
And as far as ppm falues go, i remember reading in some report or another that the actual nutrition requirements during flower are around 100N 200P 100K 80Mg. By the time you add your trace elements and macro nutes, that would bring you right around the 500ppm mark. The problem we have now (if you can call it a problem) is that there have been so many crosses that many strains now have developed appetites for certain things. Grow a strain indoor under LEDs in hydro for long enough and it will start to change based on the nutrients available to it, kinda like a landrace.
1083510 200b65108a668499f023400df15f4018

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom