Newbie needs advice on topping outdoors, can i still top my plants after the summer solstice?

• Thread starter NorthernGreener
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NorthernGreener

NorthernGreener

First timer and am nervous about topping and am looking for advice. Is it going to increase my yield enough to be worth the risk my first time growing and is it to late to top after the summer solstice, and do I need to do anything to the cut stock after it's cut to protect against diseases. All help would be greatly appreciated

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
First timer and am nervous about topping and am looking for advice. Is it going to increase my yield enough to be worth the risk my first time growing and is it to late to top after the summer solstice, and do I need to do anything to the cut stock after it's cut to protect against diseases. All help would be greatly appreciated
You can keep topping up until the first of August up north here. You shouldn't top within 2 -3 weeks of flip to flower, Its nice to have a few inches of new growth where you top otherwise you'll have short little stubby buds on the short stems. Depending on how tall they are now I'd top 3-4 times before August...I like short bushes not tall trees. I grow 99% indoor and keep my plants under 4ft tall.

NorthernGreener

NorthernGreener

These are my 3 girls all about a foot tall and all have about 7 or 8 nodes, 2 are chocolope and the other is d-line ,not sure at which node to cut at and if I need to dress the cuts after to protect from diseases.

20210619 204515
20210619 204511
20210619 204505
LexLuthor

LexLuthor

You just cut the very top growth tip off. I'm sure you can find a tutorial online in a matter of minutes that will have pictures to guide you.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

If you're nervous about topping, just top one and see how it works out.

In an outdoor situation, I don't know if topping would increase your yield. Side buds that get good sunlight grow quite well. When I grew outdoors, I topped when I was concerned about plant height and that's pretty much it.

NorthernGreener

NorthernGreener

In an outdoor situation, I don't know if topping would increase your yield. Side buds that get good sunlight grow quite well. When I grew outdoors, I topped when I was concerned about plant height and that's pretty much it.
Ok thanks, I'm sure I'm just being newbie about it, but I went ahead and topped them or maybe fimmed them lol..before I read your reply ... felt like heart surgery, I was sweating and everything.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

I don't think I've ever not topped a photo. Like I said though I'm 99% indoor over the last 20 odd years. I had a 5ft ceiling for years...hiding in an underground bunker.../ cellar...paranoid grower....I've come out of my closet lol and moved into the big room. I blabber

NorthernGreener

NorthernGreener

I don't think I've ever not topped a photo. Like I said though I'm 99% indoor over the last 20 odd years. I had a 5ft ceiling for years...hiding in an underground bunker.../ cellar...paranoid grower....I've come out of my closet lol and moved into the big room. I blabber
Yeah I've been dying to tell my peeps about how my grow is going but the first rule of grow club is you don't talk about grow club lol.. that's one of the biggest reasons I joined this group so I can talk to people about growing without Jeopardizing the safety of my grow, the less people know right.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Yeah I've been dying to tell my peeps about how my grow is going but the first rule of grow club is you don't talk about grow club lol.. that's one of the biggest reasons I joined this group so I can talk to people about growing without Jeopardizing the safety of my grow, the less people know right.
Until they faux legalized it I wouldn't even visit these sites for fear of tracking so I was on my own. Hiding in my basement more fkups than success. I've learned more here in the past 2 years than 20 years of growing alone. I now have more success than fails. Reading the forums & asking questions will help anyone that want's to learn. Good core bunch here.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I've never grown an auto, so I don't know about any special rules involving them. But I grew outdoors for a long time before I became aware of indoor growing. Stealth is the main thing dictating height outdoors, with photos.

NorthernGreener

NorthernGreener

Until they faux legalized it I wouldn't even visit these sites for fear of tracking so I was on my own. Hiding in my basement more fkups than success. I've learned more here in the past 2 years than 20 years of growing alone. I now have more success than fails. Reading the forums & asking questions will help anyone that want's to learn. Good core bunch here.
That's really great to hear I'm basically a taproot at this point in the learning but I'm finding it super enjoyable and hopefully rewarding growing my own.

Top Bottom