Newbie. Please critique me.

• Thread starter dsrussell91
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dsrussell91

dsrussell91

Hello! EXTREME novice, but wanting to turn out some good plants - so any help or tips, etc. I have a seedling I started on July 23rd. It has germinated well (in my beginners opinion). I have it on the current light schedule 18/6. CFL bulb (6500k) about 3 inches from the plant. Set up in my closet - timer, fan.. The plant has a SLIGHT lean to it. I haven't given any extra food to the plant, just water with a spray bottle. Should my plant be bigger by now all the other images of seedlings have looked very different? It did stretch a little the first day I believe. About 3 inches tall? Please be nice. Like I said super newbie. Donkey butter is the strain if that matters.

Newbie please critique me
Newbie please critique me 2
dsrussell91

dsrussell91

Add a bulb if possible
Thanks! Just did! Hopefully that will encourage more growth. What do you recommend for soil? I have this in MG. I was reading that it's really 50/50. some people love it, others not so much. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've seen some posts with blue lights vs. the CFL I have in right now. Is there an advantage with buying one of the high dollar plant lights vs. Throwing CFL bulbs on top?

savagemonk

savagemonk

Yes better lights benefit the plant. I also heard blue led is great for veg. Don’t think seedlings really need it tho.

Support
When seedlings stretch you “stake” support them with a pencil otherwise they can buckle and die. They get top heavy lean and ... buckle. You’ll find them laying down sideways on the dirt. So support them.

Less is more...
Your main job is to not over water them. They just need 1-2 bottle caps worth of water per day or until soil looks dry. Dont use a cup to water them!

dire wolf

dire wolf

Thanks! Just did! Hopefully that will encourage more growth. What do you recommend for soil? I have this in MG. I was reading that it's really 50/50. some people love it, others not so much. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've seen some posts with blue lights vs. the CFL I have in right now. Is there an advantage with buying one of the high dollar plant lights vs. Throwing CFL bulbs on top?
Hey dsr no question is dumb , everyone starts somewhere , mg is ok but not the best choice , can you get some fox farm or roots organic or coast of Maine , actually there are tons of options . Try and at least get some perlite to promote good drainage , it's important ....
To be successful unless you have good outdoor light , you will need to invest a hundred or two for lights ...
If you can't afford that now then get a 4 bulb 4 ft fixture with t5 flourscent bulbs , cost about 12.00 a light
You can pull a little bud while learning a lot ....

Last edited:
Top Bottom