Newbie question of the day: plates/saucers for pots? Is it the best solution?

• Thread starter Toscano
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Toscano

Toscano

Hi everyone!

I'll be using textile pots (around 17 liters / ~5 gallons) for my first grow.

Will follow the advise of a user that suggested I place the pots on top of a plate or saucer with some element in-between to create some height. That way the bottom of the pot isn't in a constant state of wetness, keeps the roots warm and aired, etc.

I'm guessing that a few minutes after watering the plants, the plates/sauces will fill up with drainage water.

How often do you get rid of said drainage?
Is there a correct time schedule, like "always empty it one hour after watering"?
Empty when it fills up only?
As soon as possible so as to not let the drainage stale and whatnot?

Thanks!

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

If the cloth pots aren't sitting in water, it doesn't matter if you empty the tray, unless your humidity is very high in the tent.

When using cloth pots, I will let them sit in the saucer until I'm convinced they're thoroughly watered, then I raise them or empty the tray. Dry peat-based soil repels water until it is wet, so when you water, the water can sometimes leak out the side of the pot and into the tray, even though the soil at the bottom of the pot is dry.

Toscano

Toscano

If the cloth pots aren't sitting in water, it doesn't matter if you empty the tray, unless your humidity is very high in the tent.
That's good to know.

When using cloth pots, I will let them sit in the saucer until I'm convinced they're thoroughly watered, then I raise them or empty the tray. Dry peat-based soil repels water until it is wet, so when you water, the water can sometimes leak out the side of the pot and into the tray, even though the soil at the bottom of the pot is dry.
This is a very good tip, makes sense. I will follow that.

Many thanks!

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hi everyone!

I'll be using textile pots (around 17 liters / ~5 gallons) for my first grow.

Will follow the advise of a user that suggested I place the pots on top of a plate or saucer with some element in-between to create some height. That way the bottom of the pot isn't in a constant state of wetness, keeps the roots warm and aired, etc.

I'm guessing that a few minutes after watering the plants, the plates/sauces will fill up with drainage water.

How often do you get rid of said drainage?
Is there a correct time schedule, like "always empty it one hour after watering"?
Empty when it fills up only?
As soon as possible so as to not let the drainage stale and whatnot?

Thanks!
I have my pots on risers / trivet's about 1" of air under my pots. When I water the pots don't sit in the run off. I find with fabric pots It takes me more water than in plastic. can get a lot of initial run off until the soil starts to act more like a sponge. In 3 gal plastic pots 1 gallon would water perfectly but in fabric after I water or feed I'm leaving an extra 1/3 of a gallon next to the pot then in an hour or 3 I give the plants the 1/3 I left. I get just a little run off after that and I feel the plants have the soil saturated at that point.

My issue with sucking up the run off is the wet vacs exhaust air blowing dust around the room and onto my buds. I'm trying to use vent hose attached to the exhaust....what a fkin pain its been so far with 2 hoses to finagle around in my plants, fans,stands & tight space

Toscano

Toscano

I have my pots on risers / trivet's about 1" of air under my pots. When I water the pots don't sit in the run off. I find with fabric pots It takes me more water than in plastic. can get a lot of initial run off until the soil starts to act more like a sponge. In 3 gal plastic pots 1 gallon would water perfectly but in fabric after I water or feed I'm leaving an extra 1/3 of a gallon next to the pot then in an hour or 3 I give the plants the 1/3 I left. I get just a little run off after that and I feel the plants have the soil saturated at that point.
Good to know this ratio.
So I'll either leave the pots sitting in the runoff for a while (as previously suggested); or I'll water them like you do: a full measure now, and about 30% an hour later (in a way as they never touch the saucer).
Makes sense.

Thanks!

Madmax

Madmax

Soil? Coco/perlite?.watering practises is very different between the 2.your grow room size and how many plants your running will determine if you run pot stands with trays you can manually empty ,or have it automated draining to a reservior.there are lots ways you can do this to make it much easier on yourself..

Top Bottom