Newbie to Oregon -- Growing Outside. What Works?

• Thread starter Oregrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

Oregrow

Just moved to Portland from Northern California, where the growin' is easy. I understand that growing outside in Portland can be dicey because of it, well, raining all the time.

I just brought home two clones, a Platinum GSC and a Golden Pineapple. Any words of wisdom out there?

TIA.

Newbie to oregon    growing outside what works

Newbie to oregon    growing outside what works 2

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Just moved to Portland from Northern California, where the growin' is easy. I understand that growing outside in Portland can be dicey because of it, well, raining all the time.

I just brought home two clones, a Platinum GSC and a Golden Pineapple. Any words of wisdom out there?

TIA.

View attachment 866841
View attachment 866842
Welcome to, The Farm!! Fellow Oregonian. You in Portland or the burbs?
Seasons short here, Rains usually end after Memorial Day (typically it rains the holiday weekend 85% of the time). Season ends typically middle to end of September if your not protecting your crop from the elements.

PW is a thief in the night end of season and keep a real close eye out for bud rot about the same time that shit will sneak up on you and bite you in the ass in just a couple of days. Make sure your in full sun where your planting the humidity and moisture content around harvest is a real bad deal. Best to set up some kind of shelter around the end of season we can get some pretty heavy showers September. Remember though a shelter IE plastic above your buds when still in the ground will create a lot of humidity under there. I don’t go the shelter root. I typically go out after the rain has stopped and hit em with my Stihl back pack blower. Pics are of last summer:) your getting me all excited with this summer grow talk:)!!
9757CAB3 B287 4BB1 AC23 A632C0FDF64C
4F4B3604 0C8A 48F3 A4A5 33AAA274F1A6
063920B9 C09F 4788 9365 359B53DFD57F

O

Oregrow

Welcome to, The Farm!! Fellow Oregonian. You in Portland or the burbs?
Seasons short here, Rains usually end after Memorial Day (typically it rains the holiday weekend 85% of the time). Season ends typically middle to end of September if your not protecting your crop from the elements.

PW is a thief in the night end of season and keep a real close eye out for bud rot about the same time that shit will sneak up on you and bite you in the ass in just a couple of days. Make sure your in full sun where your planting the humidity and moisture content around harvest is a real bad deal. Best to set up some kind of shelter around the end of season we can get some pretty heavy showers September. Remember though a shelter IE plastic above your buds when still in the ground will create a lot of humidity under there. I don’t go the shelter root. I typically go out after the rain has stopped and hit em with my Stihl back pack blower. Pics are of last summer:) your getting me all excited with this summer grow talk:)!!View attachment 866845View attachment 866847View attachment 866846
Thanks! Very helpful. I had planned to set up a tent for rain, but the blower thing sounds good, too. Blow dry them very gently, I assume.

Also, what's PW? I have experience with bud rot, even in NoCal, but it was usually caterpillar-induced.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Sorry PM, powdery mildew. Hate spell check!! Bud rot I’ve experienced has been caused from humidity never had a caterpillar issue. I usually surround the base of my stalks with cedar chips keeps land loving bugs away:)

O

Oregrow

Sorry PM, powdery mildew. Hate spell check!! Bud rot I’ve experienced has been caused from humidity never had a caterpillar issue. I usually surround the base of my stalks with cedar chips keeps land loving bugs away:)
Sounds like humidity is going to be the big deal around here (Portland suburbs).

I live on a hill, so I generally get afternoon winds, so maybe that'll help. I'm growing in 15-gallon fabric pots, so that should insulate me from creeping pests, but caterpillars are airborne. However, I'm starting off in a brand new backyard (reterraced by the previous owner last season), so I don't really expect that many butterflies this season.

Also, I had planned to grow only two plants because that would produce enough for me and everyone I know for a year, but given possible failure, maybe I should try the legal limit of 4.

Thoughts? TIA.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Go with your legal limit. Me and my wife have our ommp cards we can legally grow 12 plants with our cards. 2 of the plants you can use for flower the other 2 you can process into RSO oil or tinctures or whatever you like.

Top Bottom