Newly sprouted seedling heat stress help

• Thread starter tetraHydroAZ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tetraHydroAZ

tetraHydroAZ

First time posting, Happy to find this forum (it was top rank on page 1 google search (congrats!)
seedlings 3-4 days in rockwool newly germinated and sprouting
lights 4 ft 6 lamp T5
5 different strains (jack herer, trainwreck, cinderella 99, Amnesia, Double Dream)

so while I did do a closet grow about 10 yrs ago, it was maybe beginners luck i got any plants out of that but this time I screwed up and scorched the plants with light too close and fan left off overnight so when the lights came back on in the morning, the temp at the plant level was a whopping 106f.. yeah i know.. i hang my head in shame ๐Ÿ˜–

I have raised the lights up and reduced the intensity

So it doesn't look like they are completely dead but the initial growth of the sprouting came to a screeching halt and they look like they are just sitting there doing nothing.

I was wondering if they will recover. Some seem stronger than others. Is there a chance they could be permanently damaged and will remain weak and sickly?

Its first time growing in AZ and it does get hot here with low humidity. There is no central air in the house, just a swamp cooler so temps can reach into the 90s if it is 100+ outside which is not uncommon. Currently temps outside are in the 80s and the plants level temp shows 80-84f

Much appreciated for any experienced grower replies!

Newly sprouted seedling heat stress help
Newly sprouted seedling heat stress help 2
Newly sprouted seedling heat stress help 3
Newly sprouted seedling heat stress help 4
Newly sprouted seedling heat stress help 5
Newly sprouted seedling heat stress help 6
Newly sprouted seedling heat stress help 7
TSD

TSD

I bet they will be OK, probably just a little shocked, hopefully they absorbed some energy before baby leaves got scorched... I'd give them a spritz a couple times a day to help them bounce back and maybe get them into small pots soon since you're in such a hot climate, don't want to scorch baby roots... though I know nothing of Rock wool.

tetraHydroAZ

tetraHydroAZ

I bet they will be OK, probably just a little shocked, hopefully they absorbed some energy before baby leaves got scorched... I'd give them a spritz a couple times a day to help them bounce back and maybe get them into small pots soon since you're in such a hot climate, don't want to scorch baby roots... though I know nothing of Rock wool.

thanks TSD.
I have sprayers on order from Amazon maybe can find empty one around
They will be going into 5 gallon DWC buckets if they ever get rooted and recover
Maybe putting the domes back on would help keep the moisture in.
It will be an expensive blunder if it fails seeds cost $200 but as they say
"easy come (stimulus check ๐Ÿ˜) easy go"

• Haha
Reactions: TSD
dire wolf

dire wolf

First time posting, Happy to find this forum (it was top rank on page 1 google search (congrats!)
lights 4 ft 6 lamp T5
5 different strains (jack herer, trainwreck, cinderella 99, Amnesia, Double Dream)

so while I did do a closet grow about 10 yrs ago, it was maybe beginners luck i got any plants out of that but this time I screwed up and scorched the plants with light too close and fan left off overnight so when the lights came back on in the morning, the temp at the plant level was a whopping 106f.. yeah i know.. i hang my head in shame ๐Ÿ˜–

So it doesn't look like they are completely dead but the initial growth of the sprouting came to a screeching halt and they look like they are just sitting there doing nothing.

I was wondering if they will recover. Some seem stronger than others. Is there a chance they could be permanently damaged and will remain weak and sickly?

Its first time growing in AZ and it does get hot here with low humidity. There is no central air in the house, just a swamp cooler so temps can reach into the 90s if it is 100+ outside which is not uncommon. Currently temps outside are in the 80s and the plants level temp shows 80-84f

They look like they're going to be fine ...one or two look a little toasty , but everything's still standing , be careful about spraying , the water droplets will magnify the light and cause you more problems ...humidity dome not a bad idea since your in such a dry climate

tetraHydroAZ

tetraHydroAZ

They look like they're going to be fine ...one or two look a little toasty , but everything's still standing , be careful about spraying , the water droplets will magnify the light and cause you more problems ...humidity dome not a bad idea since your in such a dry climate

Thanks Wolf,
It is encouraging to hear.
We are legally allowed 6 plants in AZ (recreational passed starting 2021) or 12 if 2 or more adults living in the house. So if I get at least 6 I would be happy. It seems kinda low number for initially 20 seeds ordered but i have no one to blame but myself for, as it were, "putting all my eggs in one basket" and then shooting myself in the foot and crashing them to the ground LOL.. ๐Ÿ˜’

Great forum, easy to read interface cool! Faved and will be exploring the site further. Cheers ๐Ÿ™‚

tetraHydroAZ

tetraHydroAZ

Oh heck, the forum is only a segment of a huge site THCFarmer .. well waddaya know. cool! And they got seeds for sale YAY ๐Ÿ˜

lilnew

lilnew

lights 4 ft 6 lamp T5

i got one like ur 3rd pic before n it turned out to be genetic mutation....lol

TSD

TSD

thanks TSD.
I have sprayers on order from Amazon maybe can find empty one around
They will be going into 5 gallon DWC buckets if they ever get rooted and recover
Maybe putting the domes back on would help keep the moisture in.
It will be an expensive blunder if it fails seeds cost $200 but as they say
"easy come (stimulus check ๐Ÿ˜) easy go"
Yes I usually leave my seedlings in a dome for about a week, it's their most fragile stage and easiest way to keep a controlled climate. Just make sure to let fresh air in a few times a day. I've never had an issue spritzing, maybe if your lights are too close... all my ladies get spritzed a couple times day and they are happy. I definitely avoid water on leaves in direct sunlight outdoors, that is the only time I've seen leaves get "water burn" and it wasn't a weed plant it was a hibiscus lol. This site is a wealth of knowledge, welcome!

tetraHydroAZ

tetraHydroAZ

Update:
thanks TSD for the suggestion to put them into pots soon. Keeping them in the germination tray was definitely holding them back. After reading your suggestion I pulled one of em from the tray and it already had several days of root out the end of the rockwool that i had not noticed. So i hurriedly got buckets ready and that is where I made another mistake. I put all 3 micro, grow and bloom nutrients into an empty bucket and added the water. I did this on only one bucket. I realized it may not be the correct way and added half the bucket water on the other 4 buckets. So anyway as shown in the image looks like possibly 5 have survived. jack herer (front center), amnesia (front left) and cinderella99 (front right) seem to be strong. double dream (back left) is growing low but leaves look ok and train wreck (back right) is struggling I wondered if that was the one bucket where i added the nutes wrong so I changed it out today.

I don't know what will happen when 100+f deg heat hits us in a few more weeks. It is still mild weather mid 80s we had one day up to 90.
I did run across a video where someone say they grew in desert 104 deg outdoor using constant drip.

thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement. I feel much better now that i did get some survivors and hopefully they will survive AZ heat wave.

cheers!๐Ÿ‘

Grow 5 10 2021

Latest posts

Top Bottom