News Flash: Prop. 19 Can't Legalize Recreational Use!

• Thread starter squarepusher
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
squarepusher

squarepusher

News Flash: Prop. 19 Can't Legalize Recreational Use! But If It Passes, It CAN Subject Patients to All Its Burdensome Regulations, Control and Taxation.

One of the huge problems with Prop. 19 on which I didn't concentrate -- I was mainly trying to figure out what its actual terms did to patients' rights -- is that it purports to legalize recreational use. But while medical use can be legalized under state law and also federal law, recreational use remains totally illegal under federal law, which cannot be so easily trumped by a state law legalizing recreational use.
In California, medical marijuana laws have been held by appellate courts, most recently in Qualified Patients’ Association v. City of Anaheim (08/08/10) ___ Cal.App.4th ____, to not be pre-empted or prohibited by the federal Controlled Substances Act (CSA). The reason? Because, according to the U.S. Supreme Court, the CSA’s purpose “is to combat recreational drug use, not to regulate a state’s medical practices.” (County of San Diego v. San Diego NORML (2008) 165 Cal.App.4th 798, 826-827, emphasis added, citing Gonzales v. Oregon (2006) 546 U.S. 243, 272-273.)
So, if California tries to legalize recreational use by passing Prop. 19, even state courts will conclude, based on the current state of the law, that the purported state legalization laws are pre-empted and/or prohibited by federal law. (Whether the federal government, rather than the state, should have the power to regulate recreational drug use, is another subject, but that's going to be a long and expensive legal and/or political battle.)
What will that mean in terms of Prop. 19? Well, Prop. 19 includes a severability clause, so that if some portion of it is determined to be unenforceable that portion can be severed from the rest. Worst case scenario: the recreational use will be struck out, and patients will be left with all the bad aspects of Prop. 19 -- the total taxation, regulation and control aspects.
Even before litigation ends up establishing that recreational use is prohibited by the CSA, collectives and dispensaries shoiuld probably avoid distgributing marijuana to recreational users. Based on how the CSA has been held to reach recreational use, if Prop. 19 passes, any collective, dispensary or other distribution model for medical marijuana would be, in my opinion, ill-advised to begin to serve recreational users as well as medical users. I can well imagine the DEA raiding such establishments that have "commingled" recreational and medical use, since marijuana itself cannot be indentified as "medical" or "recreational." The DEA could seize everything, and prosecute the distribution centers and their owners.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Can you say BACKLASH? This is gonna cost the state if voters approve it.

G

goleboy

Yea it's a pretty fucked situation, but those with deep pockets just keep seeing them getting deeper so they are trying to pull the wool over the sheeps eyes, but hopefully evryone is wise enough to vote NO on 19. Kinda waiting on my next idea till after the vote in Cali and Arizona next month. Want to see which will be a more positive state for the advancement of medical cannabis

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

It is a fallacy that federal law "trumps" state law. They are separate. Further, the very same logic can be applied to medical use. Recommend you look into Steve Cooley for a glimpse into the future regarding MMJ in CA.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Darth

From what I have heard there's nothing cool about Cooley!

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
even if this proposition passes doesn't mean it will ever become law - I have maintained since day one of hearing about this as long as marijuana is a schedule 1 it can not be consumed for recreational use - if this shit passes it will be tied up in court for about a year or more before its gets tossed

yeah and fuck Cooley - that bitch says there will be no more medical mmj if he is elected!

cooper1

cooper1

home of the free and the brave
so if your never brave then you will never live free

Illmind

Illmind

Last I checked it was home of the fee land of the slave.

TortureKill

TortureKill

Im interested in seeing the outcome of votes on this. When prop 19 was first introduced, I seen the fine print, and I read between the lines. If passed it would be an obvious set back to our movement, and a far cry from what prop 215 meant for the future of MMJ. It was obvious this would have ill consequences, and be very bad for the MMJ scene in CALI. I assumed when ppl seen "legal rec use w/ prop 19" many would vote for it, not seeing thru the words. But From what i see here many did their homework and see that prop 19 isnt the best thing for the ppl or the movement. How many are actually voting no on prop 19? do u mind if I use the thread text in another forum? Possibly run a poll>?

Tripsick

Tripsick

It will be fun to use the way back machine to see how many of these post are truthful after it passes this November.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, it will, Trip.
It is a fallacy that federal law "trumps" state law. They are separate. Further, the very same logic can be applied to medical use. Recommend you look into Steve Cooley for a glimpse into the future regarding MMJ in CA.
Oh, you and I, we could debate all day long about that. State and federal law 'separateness' depends completely upon whom you ask. Even though a war was fought over the issue, it hasn't been settled.

Now, before you go and get upset, in general principle I agree with you and will further declare that the inroads the federal government has made into usurping state sovereignty are egregious. The balance has been lost, if it had ever been found.

TortureKill

TortureKill

I posted this at icm, hope noone was offended, and I was told it was absolute bs

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It's got to fit the paradigm, doesn't it?

J

just_in_ct

Prop 19 will pass and its a good thing. Still thousands being arrested ever year in cali for simple possession. I understand growers don't want to lose out on money. It's funny how people talk about it affecting medical (prop 215), but most of the growers and "care givers" are just out to capitalize off it. They don't really care about "medical rights." And these people are the ones that make up most the the "NO on Prop 19" crowd.

G

gadgetsmoke

Its funny how most people, who have such an intellectual opinion on it still have not read it, save your opinions and go read some facts for once......and you know who you are. Hell No on prop 19 :fighting0087:

Latest posts

Top Bottom