NFT Flow Rates

• Thread starter RFT
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RFT

RFT

Im starting to think I got my flow rates (and possibly table/gutter pitch) wrong. My background with DWC has made me too comfortable with submerged roots.

My inclination was that more volume of water would increase flow down the channels. Thus keeping the solution constantly moving (aerated) despite possible puddling & also aiding in keeping the solution cool (thus retaining DO). Some call this “Deep Flow Culture” since it’s not really NFT anymore. For reference, the tops of my roots are exposed no matter how strong the flow. But it’s not a “film” by the time the plants reach a certain age. The roots hopd up the flow considerably.

Lowering the flow rate (I have a ball valve) would increase the roots to more air. But would also seemingly slow the flow to a trickle. Any puddling would be amplified would it not?

Im assuming this part of the formula is super critical to NFT?

And if so, any advice is welcome.

RFT

RFT

From what Ive read today...

Pitch should be about 1:30 at most. But may need to be increased when root systems outgrow gutter size & puddling inside the channels starts to occur.

My pitch is 1:24 currently.

Flow Rate should be 0.5 L per minute on babies and the up to 1.0 L per minute on mature plants. That’s a pretty wide spread.

In checking my own flow rates, they were at 0.8 L per minute. So well within range.

RFT

RFT

I’ve also read that steeper rates are necessary for mature plants. But increasing the pitch mid cycle would never be possible on a commercial scale.

What’s the drawback of too much pitch?

Top Bottom