Nitrate Nitroge/ammonium Nitrate

• Thread starter aquashield
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

aquashield

Hello people I was watching a video on YouTube the guy was saying his plants could handle more light when he upped the ratio of nitrate nitrogen to ammonium nitrate, he was in a drip system in rock wool so basically hydro, that got me thinking

I then messaged Harley smith of npk industries and he said the same as I was thinking about buying the raw nutrient line he recommended not to as I’m in dwc.

What nutrients or powders can you recommend which have a high nitrate to ammonium ratio which will be good for hydro/co2/high intensity light?

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

The Raw line is nice but costs way to much if you have a larger grow. Not sure off the top of my head for your question

A

aquashield

This powder has 0% ammonium nitrate and 5% nitrate ion. It’s the only one I’ve found like this.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Most any hydro nutes with calcium nitrate. Really just about all of 3 part systems from general hydroponics to Jacks hydro 123.

Avoid natural based and organic nutes. And 1 parts like dyna grow.

But i like giving plants multiple sources of nitrogen.

A

aquashield

From my understanding the nitrate nitrogen is more suitable for environments with faster growth rates i.e. hydro, LED, Gavita’s with co2 use. So the higher ratio the better. A lot of the hydro nutrients don’t have a high ratio.

P

PharmHand

Hello people I was watching a video on YouTube the guy was saying his plants could handle more light when he upped the ratio of nitrate nitrogen to ammonium nitrate, he was in a drip system in rock wool so basically hydro, that got me thinking

I then messaged Harley smith of npk industries and he said the same as I was thinking about buying the raw nutrient line he recommended not to as I’m in dwc.

What nutrients or powders can you recommend which have a high nitrate to ammonium ratio which will be good for hydro/co2/high intensity light?
Add some calmag???

A

aquashield

‘For many plants - especially fruiting plants like tomatoes or cucumbers - the ideal ammonium to nitrate ratio has been established to be around 2:8 and this usually implies that pH will tend to increase as a function of time since the amount of anions absorbed will be larger. Using larger ammonium to nitrate ratios - like 5:5 - may bring you more pH stability but this may be at the cost of crop productivity.’

‘In the end the nitrate/ammonium ratio is perhaps one of the biggest weapons you have in controlling how your plants change the pH of your nutrient solution. However aiming for the most stable pH - in terms of cation/anion absorption - might not be the best bet since this might reduce your crop's yield. At optimum nitrate to ammonium concentrations most crops tend to experience some moderate pH increases as a function of time. Nonetheless different crops respond to ammonium to nitrate ratios differently so you might want to give different ratios a try to see what works best for you, both in terms of yields and easiest crop management.’

https://scienceinhydroponics.com/2017/03/nitrate-ammonium-and-ph-in-hydroponics.html

A

aquashield

If this is the case we use a higher nitrate nutrient and cut the ammonium and use a ph down to suit veg or flowering.

P

PharmHand

‘For many plants - especially fruiting plants like tomatoes or cucumbers - the ideal ammonium to nitrate ratio has been established to be around 2:8 and this usually implies that pH will tend to increase as a function of time since the amount of anions absorbed will be larger. Using larger ammonium to nitrate ratios - like 5:5 - may bring you more pH stability but this may be at the cost of crop productivity.’

‘In the end the nitrate/ammonium ratio is perhaps one of the biggest weapons you have in controlling how your plants change the pH of your nutrient solution. However aiming for the most stable pH - in terms of cation/anion absorption - might not be the best bet since this might reduce your crop's yield. At optimum nitrate to ammonium concentrations most crops tend to experience some moderate pH increases as a function of time. Nonetheless different crops respond to ammonium to nitrate ratios differently so you might want to give different ratios a try to see what works best for you, both in terms of yields and easiest crop management.’

https://scienceinhydroponics.com/2017/03/nitrate-ammonium-and-ph-in-hydroponics.html
Good stuff brotha! Gracias

P

PharmHand

When I drop the cal nit/mag nit I start to see the mediums ph drop. This seems to explain why.

A

aquashield

‘DESCRIPTION : Free flowing powdered mineral complex containing monopotassium
phosphate, potassium sulfate, magnesium sulfate, potassium nitrate,
calcium nitrate, borax, iron EDTA, ammonium molybdenum, manganese EDTA, and other non-hazardous ingredients which are trade secret. *Please refer to CAS info for above listed compounds and their potential health hazards and recommended handling proced’
https://hydroponic-research.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/MSDS-VEGBLOOM1.pdf

Veg+Bloom doesn’t have any ammonium nitrate at all they’ve used potassium nitrate and calcium nitrate instead and completely cut the ammonium nitrate out.

A

aquashield

‘Ammonium may accumulate in the soil, when this nitrogen conversion is limited or completely stopped if one or more of the following soil conditions are present (Mengel and Kirkby, 1987):

• Low soil pH conditions substantially depress microbial NH4+ oxidation.
  • Lack of oxygen (e.g. waterlogged soils).
  • Lack of organic matter (as a source of carbon for bacteria).
  • Dry soils.
  • Low soil temperature depresses nitrification, due to low soil micro-organism activity.
  • Nitrification attains its optimum at 26 °C, whilst the optimum for ammonification is as high as 50 °C. Thus in tropical soils, even under neutral pH conditions, ammonium may accumulate as the result of the low rate of nitrification’
‘Urea is decomposed by the enzyme urease or chemically hydrolyzed into ammonia and CO2. In the ammonification step, ammonia is converted by ammonium-oxidizing bacteria into ammonium. In a next step, ammonium is converted by nitrifying bacteria into nitrate (nitrification).’

I’ll stop with the research now but you all get the idea ammonium nitrate is no good for hydro

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Plants need a little Amm N (NH4+) but you dont want to go crazy on it. I forgot the ratio off the top of my head. I hit them with about 12 ppm of NH4+ (from Mono Ammonium Phosphate - .375g a gal) and whatever my tap water has in it. I wouldn't go much more then that. You will start to see problems.

Top Bottom