No Chem Grow Help with Top Dressings.

• Thread starter MinerClan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MinerClan

MinerClan

Hi everyone one im seeking an organic amendment for top dressing during flower.

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers.

BigCube

BigCube

Just curious, by no chem what exactly do you mean?

NPK and all micros are chemicals, no matter where you get them from. Indeed even water itself is a chemical.

Might it be more true to say:
No chemicals I dont like?

Arlo12765

Arlo12765

Cheers.
Fox Farm makes some good ready to use top dress mixes. I use the All Purpose and Flower and they work well. If your plants need any additional nutrients you can simply needed amendments.

Farmer88

Farmer88

Cheers.

Steamed powdered bone meal, wood ash, a touch of blood meal, feather meal and powdered egg shells will be an appropriate top dressing for a flower period if you are growing in soil. I would top dress at least one week before flip to one week after flip by removing some of the top layer of soil mix your fertilizers with some fresh soil that will replace the removed volume and replenish the tops of your pots with the mix and water until the soil has slight runoff.

That being said I am going off a handful of assumptions of what "organic" means to you. For the record Organic is a trademarked term that has specific rules for meeting it's guidelines.

The OMRI website and database is a good resource to find products that will keep to a ceritfied organic opperation.

MinerClan

MinerClan

NPK and all micros are chemicals, no matter where you get them from. Indeed even water itself is a chemical.

Good Call.

I guess what I mean is I'm looking for organic top dressings and teas that are 100% organic.

MinerClan

MinerClan

Steamed powdered bone meal, wood ash, a touch of blood meal, feather meal and powdered egg shells will be an appropriate top dressing for a flower period if you are growing in soil. I would top dress at least one week before flip to one week after flip by removing some of the top layer of soil mix your fertilizers with some fresh soil that will replace the removed volume and replenish the tops of your pots with the mix and water until the soil has slight runoff.

That being said I am going off a handful of assumptions of what "organic" means to you. For the record Organic is a trademarked term that has specific rules for meeting it's guidelines.

The OMRI website and database is a good resource to find products that will keep to a ceritfied organic opperation.
Thanks I think I want to stay away from OMRI as it is a paid certification.

Like you say it meets industry guidelines.

I also would like to stay away from things like bone meal or really fine dust.

Egg shells sound great cheers.

MinerClan

MinerClan

Farmer88

Farmer88

Thanks I think I want to stay away from OMRI as it is a paid certification.

Like you say it meets industry guidelines.

I also would like to stay away from things like bone meal or really fine dust.

Egg shells sound great cheers.

OMRI is not a pay to cerify. It's a payment for the time the company spends to verify and certify the products and time spent cataloging said products. There's no scam there, it's a highly reputable centralized database.

As for reluctance to use powders, they will be more redily available to plants in a powder form. Most organic fertilizers are going to lean to a slower release naturally. Additionally you will have to increase as much microbial growth as possible within the medium to process fertilizer materials efficiently for root consumption. So a little carbohydrates wouldnt hurt from time to time. Molasses is the go to for most people but any carbohydrate will feed microbial growth.

If you're going to settle on eggshells, I would recomend making cal-phos fertilizer by adding vinegar to oven dried or pan dried eggshells. This mixture can be used as a foliar spray or as a root feeding.

MinerClan

MinerClan

OMRI is not a pay to cerify. It's a payment for the time the company spends to verify and certify the products and time spent cataloging said products. There's no scam there, it's a highly reputable centralized database.

As for reluctance to use powders, they will be more redily available to plants in a powder form. Most organic fertilizers are going to lean to a slower release naturally. Additionally you will have to increase as much microbial growth as possible within the medium to process fertilizer materials efficiently for root consumption. So a little carbohydrates wouldnt hurt from time to time. Molasses is the go to for most people but any carbohydrate will feed microbial growth.

If you're going to settle on eggshells, I would recomend making cal-phos fertilizer by adding vinegar to oven dried or pan dried eggshells. This mixture can be used as a foliar spray or as a root feeding.

Now we're talking

Thats more up my alley.

Farmer88

Farmer88

Now we're talking

Thats more up my alley.

Ok. I think I can hone this in then.

Start a fire. Grab your weapon of choice and kill an animal. Hang the animal and place a vessel underneath to collect the blood. Remove the eyes and brain and add to the bucket. Check your fire. Add more wood if necessary to keep coals hot.

Butcher your animal for meat needed during the winter. But remember to remove the spinal column. Any excess bones from the process will help as well. Hooves or feet will be used here too.

Place bones, spine and hooves in a pot of water and get that over your fire to boil and soften. Do this until the hard parts aren't so hard anymore.

Pour used water into blood and brain mixture and blend as thoroughly as possible set aside in well ventilated area out of direct sun to dry stirring occasionally.

Set out your now softened bones to dry. When dry smash them into the smallest bits you can.

Let your fire settle out and sift out any large chunks getting only powdered ash.

Grab some potting soil or compost and mix all ingredients together, the blood, the bone, the ash, the soil. Mix this mixture on a tarp and set out in a dry place to dry out moisture.

Use mixture as dry top dressing and water it in.

MinerClan

MinerClan

Ok. I think I can hone this in then.

Start a fire. Grab your weapon of choice and kill an animal. Hang the animal and place a vessel underneath to collect the blood. Remove the eyes and brain and add to the bucket. Check your fire. Add more wood if necessary to keep coals hot.

Butcher your animal for meat needed during the winter. But remember to remove the spinal column. Any excess bones from the process will help as well. Hooves or feet will be used here too.

Place bones, spine and hooves in a pot of water and get that over your fire to boil and soften. Do this until the hard parts aren't so hard anymore.

Pour used water into blood and brain mixture and blend as thoroughly as possible set aside in well ventilated area out of direct sun to dry stirring occasionally.

Set out your now softened bones to dry. When dry smash them into the smallest bits you can.

Let your fire settle out and sift out any large chunks getting only powdered ash.

Grab some potting soil or compost and mix all ingredients together, the blood, the bone, the ash, the soil. Mix this mixture on a tarp and set out in a dry place to dry out moisture.

Use mixture as dry top dressing and water it in.
Amazing
But not for me

I'm against the killing and stuff.

MinerClan

MinerClan

Amazing
But not for me

I'm against the killing and stuff.
I'm going to try
Thats basically all organic inputs my dude.
[/QUOTE
Fair enough.

What if tried bokashi compost tea with molasses and used it every other watering and then stop using 4 weeks to harvest.
Foliar feeding with kelp meal and top dressing with worm casting through out grow.

I also have rock phosphate I was going to top dress just once heavily at switch to flower.

I have soluble potash i can mix with watering during first 6 weeks of flower to boost potassium.

Farmer88

Farmer88

All of those inputs should get you to where you want to be. However the rock phosphorus will be relatively useless in the time frame your looking to use it. If you can smash it into the smallest pieces you can increases availability.

zzzybil

zzzybil

worm castings , peat , & lil bonemeal mixture - idk how much blood meal . been scattering lil compost from the chicken coop on fig ,lemon , lime trees and on top asparagus . tractor store oyster shells crushed ( for chickens ) dump some in rain water bucket & stir - everything seems to love that . lol wet the wc / peat mix with it . Good luck - love the no chem thought [process tho my theory is just no pesticides ) i usually kill anything i ''feed'' . Ton of dolla store seeds for the great grand babies entertainment - they had great luck last year .

MinerClan

MinerClan

All of those inputs should get you to where you want to be. However the rock phosphorus will be relatively useless in the time frame your looking to use it. If you can smash it into the smallest pieces you can increases availability.
Thank you Farmer88.

I agree completely with the rock phosphate.

But I have it so I thought use it. It is slow slow release.

The question becomes what all natural
not animal based with the exception of poop
Top dressing can I add during late fower to boost phosphorus and potassium.

Farmer88

Farmer88

Wood ash and banana peel extract. But you will realistic need a lot of banana to achieve the levels necessary for flowering boost. Calphos from eggshell processing as well but calphos takes about thirty days to fully process for use.

Just some unsolicited advice from my years in commercial agriculture, certified organic and not, maintaining soil health is more useful than ideology. Higher levels of O2, organic matter and available carbohydrates within the soil will benefit soil microbes and allow them to breed. Chemical inputs will not kill your soil microbes unless used in excess and more likely the lack of organic matter to consume and loss of oxygen is depleting your bacterial growth.

I remeber joining a prune crew so that I could develop a relationship with an old fruit farmer one town over. When he asked me what kind of farm I ran I told him, "certified organic such and such". He looked at me and asked "Are you a Christian Scientist as well?" That man taught me more about fertilizers and sprays than anyone else. And he used plenty of certified organic products. They just had to work. Efficacy is a much better stick to measure your inputs by.

MinerClan

MinerClan

Wood ash and banana peel extract. But you will realistic need a lot of banana to achieve the levels necessary for flowering boost. Calphos from eggshell processing as well but calphos takes about thirty days to fully process for use.

Just some unsolicited advice from my years in commercial agriculture, certified organic and not, maintaining soil health is more useful than ideology. Higher levels of O2, organic matter and available carbohydrates within the soil will benefit soil microbes and allow them to breed. Chemical inputs will not kill your soil microbes unless used in excess and more likely the lack of organic matter to consume and loss of oxygen is depleting your bacterial growth.

I remeber joining a prune crew so that I could develop a relationship with an old fruit farmer one town over. When he asked me what kind of farm I ran I told him, "certified organic such and such". He looked at me and asked "Are you a Christian Scientist as well?" That man taught me more about fertilizers and sprays than anyone else. And he used plenty of certified organic products. They just had to work. Efficacy is a much better stick to measure your inputs by.
Hey hey greatly appreciate.

Thanks so much.

Curious though. Many Organic feeds still require flushing.

In the example above where you suggest careful use of chemical fertz would a flush still be required?

Farmer88

Farmer88

Hey hey greatly appreciate.

Thanks so much.

Curious though. Many Organic feeds still require flushing.

In the example above where you suggest careful use of chemical fertz would a flush still be required?

Flushing is a good overall practice. But you don't have to go crazy, especially in soil. I very rarely ever water to runoff. Too little synthetic or organic will be better than too much.

Part of the issue with being new to growing is over complicating the process. Unfortunatly you will have to experience many grow cycles to gain the skills necessary to interpret plant behaviors. The internet will give you good things to consider and experiment with but be skeptical of definitive answers. Patience is key to all of this.

Also it doesn't hurt to brush up on the basics of plant biology, physiology and plant physics to understand how inputs work and their effects.

Top Bottom