No pistils on buds? Did this plant herm?

• Thread starter Phate008
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Phate008

Phate008

This is in week 3 of flower. Didn't really pay much attention to the fact that this plant had little to no pistils on top shoots. Some of the lower buds have a couple pistils but now I'm worried that it herm'd. Should I be worried about this?

It's the plant in the front left. I took photos of 2 of the main colas as well as a side by side of one of the buds next to my other plant. All 4 of the other plants have white hairs but not this one.

No pistils on buds did this plant herm
No pistils on buds did this plant herm 2
No pistils on buds did this plant herm 3
No pistils on buds did this plant herm 4
No pistils on buds did this plant herm 5
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Maybe I'm blind, but I'm not seeing male flowers. But it is weird.

Phate008

Phate008

Yeah the bud structure just looks very lumpy and the absence of pistils worried me. Someone suggested it may be a boron deficiency. This could be possible as I have a couple lower leaves that look this way. I've also been late to watering a couple times this month. Medium was bone dry and plants had full droop. I've gotten better at keeping them on time with watering since then

jamk911

jamk911

Id be very careful of budrot..
If they did dry that bad.. a leaf or 2 may die inside the structure and rot inside the buds..
Buttttt dont worry about your issue on hand.. its more common than youd imagine, sometimes the pistils jam inside the calyx.. especially when trichomes are in play.. like an ingrown hair.

jamk911

jamk911

But to be safe and make sure it didnt pollinate somehow.. id rip off a calyx or 2 there and squish it open w a pen or paperclip to make sure no seeds inside..
It wont hurt it. Infact it works the same as topping (there is a such thing as bud topping to make buds grow back w 2 heads)
Also now looking at the larger area pics and noticing where its occuring...you are in a tent right?... id also check for light leaks.. it may be trying to reveg or herm from a light leak since it appears to be near the entrance

HippiHemuli

HippiHemuli

I would chop 1 stem and look inside bud what it looks like. Its look so much seeded bud but not sure.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Really odd growth and probably somewhat genetic. I don't think it is seeded at all but I never saw anything like that.

edit: I thought the whole plant was doing this. Still odd though but not as much so...haha

Phate008

Phate008

Thanks for the replies. This actually was harvested a couple days ago. Turned out to be very nice looking. It had the largest and most dense buds. Also had very nice trichome production.

It was the whole plants that did this, but I have since found out that Titan announced these genetic anomalies were present in this strain and that they usually finish nicely.

PXL 20220205 014127521
PXL 20220205 013849634
PXL 20220205 013838588
CannaDana

CannaDana

Looks female to me. And you have pistils, just no stigmas. Which is okay since the stigmas carry exactly 0% THC. Hope they turn out nicely for you.

Phate008

Phate008

What strain is it? My iced wildberry is doing this too. View attachment 1227019
The strain with pistoless buds was GRCxBBC. It ended up turning out very icy with dense buds and great production. So glad I kept a mother. My iced wildberry pheno was my favorite smelling/tasting strain out of that run. It was really nice, but unfortunately the clones didn't take. I would love to get that GRCxBBC pheno lab tested. I have a feeling it has good THC numbers. I definitely plan on crossing with it in the near future.

Ilike2grow

Ilike2grow

Those are sure weird but the finished buds look really good. You got a ton of tricombs, that would be great to make some hash with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom