No smell or taste to my bud

• Thread starter mikeb437
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mikeb437

mikeb437

Im just about ready to harvest my 2 white widows. Earlier this week I pulled a couple of small buds from one of them. I dried them as slow as I could putting them into a jar and burping it. They were tiny but it took 3 days for me to dry them out. I smoked them today and they got me a nice buzz!! But they didn't smell and they were basically tasteless.. What can I do better on when I harvest my entire plant? I also notice that my plant doesn't really give out a strong smell either...shouldnt they stink??

P

paulycali

Drying and curing imo is considered an art

Takes time to master for sure

How did you go about harvesting and drying your meds?

Easier this way then me explaining the whole process

We'll get you drying/curing your meds properly in no time

mikeb437

mikeb437

I actually just pulled a couple small buds from the bottom of my plant. I let them them sit out overnight. They were still damp in the morning so I stuck them in a jar for a while but didn't close the top. Then after a while I put them on my dresser and let them sit out more. The stem seemed to start getting crunchy so I stuck it back in a jar for another day and opened it once yesterday. By this morning they were both dry. Now they were very small buds and my jar was somewhat big so I'm not sure that makes a difference. Also!!! I notice that the plants themselves don't really have a big odor to them,, shouldn't they be really stinky by now?? Today is the end of week 8 of budding..

mikeb437

mikeb437

And I've read tons and tons of posts.. No light,, slower the better,, let them sit out till crunchy then bag for a few days,, then stick in a jar n burb a couple times a day for an hour or so..and turn the buds.. That's what I figure on doing with my harvest,, is that correct?

philly kush

philly kush

Im far from a pro but this is my routine I cut off all fan leaves hang for 10 days then cut buds from stem n give a nice trim put in jars for about 3weeks I empty jars 4 about an hour then rejar everyday this works for me.I was inpatient way back when n my buds smelled like hay until i started doing this.Goodluck with your harvest n B pacient.

mikeb437

mikeb437

I have no problem being patient if I get dank buds in the end.. 10 days no matter what then in the jars?

P

paulycali

Pretty much what philly kush said but here's my take

1) Cut plant at base of stem

2) Remove all water leaves and what ever else you can remove without getting to close to the sugar leaves and buds

3) Hang to dry " put a fan in the room but dont let the fan blow directly on the buds" Just there for circulation

4) Check over drying plants daily. Possibly rearrange them if some are drying different then others

5) Check stems after a few days of drying "some like to wait till the stem snaps completely or some wait till the stem just makes a slight snapping noise but doesnt completely snap off"

6) Once dried completely "start trimming"

7) Place all trimmed buds in a jar "do not close jar" Leave open for 24hrs

8) Shake buds lightly in jars and seal them up "open the jars 3 times a day for up to a week or until comfortable sealing them up and then place the jars in a dark cool place

9) Cure as long as you'd like "the longer the better"

10) Time to medicate

Hope this helped you out a bunch. I think it should make things more clearer for you. You'll be drying and curing properly in no time. Hope all goes well. Takes time for sure to master. Good luck and keep on rockin

Peace out mikeb :)

Giddeon

Giddeon

I have a similar problem

This is referring to my MPB harvests.....

I harvest 1 plant a day, hand trim all the buds and separate out hash materials right at harvest. I use the dry racks from Trimscene Hung in my room right where the plant was so that I have total climate control over the dry. I dry at ~62* and ~50% RH it takes the individual nugs roughly 10-12 days to dry enough to go into my coolers which I cure in.

Now I am getting some what of a smell and as time goes on with the cure the smell will come out stronger. But the taste never really seems to develop much. Even after 1 months cure in a glass jar. Could this be a nute pack problem?? I flush my plants for a week in supper low ppm water for a week before harvest?

Any input would be great THANKS!!

dankworth

dankworth

This is referring to my MPB harvests.....

I harvest 1 plant a day, hand trim all the buds and separate out hash materials right at harvest. I use the dry racks from Trimscene Hung in my room right where the plant was so that I have total climate control over the dry. I dry at ~62* and ~50% RH it takes the individual nugs roughly 10-12 days to dry enough to go into my coolers which I cure in.

Now I am getting some what of a smell and as time goes on with the cure the smell will come out stronger. But the taste never really seems to develop much. Even after 1 months cure in a glass jar. Could this be a nute pack problem?? I flush my plants for a week in supper low ppm water for a week before harvest?

Any input would be great THANKS!!

Sulfur ratios are key I have found. It was another poster here that first introduced the idea in a thread. If your res does not smell like hot springs, there is not enough sulfur.
SAR reactions help with smell, essential oil production. The salicylic acid/chitosan mix is particularly effective. It will make them stink up the place within 24 hours. You can foliar this to get same effect vs. a root application.
Full-spectrum lighting, especially the kind that duplicates sunlight well, carries a huge impact on terpene profile. You could always cheat and switch to MH for last 2 weeks. Some MHs produce way different effects than others.
Humic, kelp, hydrolysates, aminos, etc, things basically in teas causes improvements in scent. Things in teas that probably are not compatible with mpbs
Those are the most important factors for improving smell that I can think of off the top of my head right now. I hope this is useful.

Giddeon

Giddeon

Sulfur ratios are key I have found. It was another poster here that first introduced the idea in a thread. If your res does not smell like hot springs, there is not enough sulfur.
SAR reactions help with smell, essential oil production. The salicylic acid/chitosan mix is particularly effective. It will make them stink up the place within 24 hours. You can foliar this to get same effect vs. a root application.
Full-spectrum lighting, especially the kind that duplicates sunlight well, carries a huge impact on terpene profile. You could always cheat and switch to MH for last 2 weeks. Some MHs produce way different effects than others.
Humic, kelp, hydrolysates, aminos, etc, things basically in teas causes improvements in scent. Things in teas that probably are not compatible with mpbs
Those are the most important factors for improving smell that I can think of off the top of my head right now. I hope this is useful.

Thanks for the help, I must say my res smells nothing like sulfur at all, it has a little urine smell for some reason but thats it. Would it hurt to add sulfur directly to the res or should I use products that have other uses but also have high levels of sulfur??

If your well water is high in sulfur would this cause better tasting buds??

mikeb437

mikeb437

I am in a highly dry area. Absolutely no humidity in the air. The rh in my box the other night was approx 15% before I watered my plants.. That's very lowwwww! Is that going to be a problem for my drying? What's the optimum rh?

P

paulycali

You want your humidity around 60%

As long as you stay between 40% and 60% you will be fine

Good luck

dankworth

dankworth

Thanks for the help, I must say my res smells nothing like sulfur at all, it has a little urine smell for some reason but thats it. Would it hurt to add sulfur directly to the res or should I use products that have other uses but also have high levels of sulfur??

If your well water is high in sulfur would this cause better tasting buds??

I do know that products like bud candy are based on the sulfur content of the epsom salts in the jug, and not the sugars as much. So there is some leeway in your nute ppms for some epsom salts perhaps to contribute the sulfur. I do not know enough about fertilizer salts to know of a stand-alone sulfur additive that you could add to your res. I personally will have nothing to do with well water for plants, too much risk of too many things.
But yeah, more sulfur would straight up produce better buds. It is responsible for the return of the cream soda taste in my chemo x og kush. I am so happy about that.

mikeb437

mikeb437

Thanks for the info dank but I'm a newbie and have no idea what to do with sulphur. Don't think it'll matter anyways since I'm harvesting this week. But I do definitely appreciate your info!! I don't have. Res.. I just fill up a gallon jug of water and hand water everyday. So anything beyond just adding nutes n water together is just above my experience for now. Lol

squiggly

squiggly

You may use a sulfur burner when the lights are on (stomata open) to supplement sulfur. This produces SO2 which is available to the plant as a nutrient. Epsom salts will also provide Sulfur in the form of sulfate (Epsom = Mg+ SO4-).

mikeb437

mikeb437

Ok answer this.. Should my unharvested plants be stinking up the place or does that great weed smell come from the drying/curing aspect? That's what I'm confused by..

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

IMO both should smell, if it doesn't smell during harvest something is wrong. Also if there is no smell during harvest its unlikely to smell later.

Reactions: Dai
mikeb437

mikeb437

Aero joe,, take a look at my thread in the micro grow section. I posted every week since I planted. Let me know if there's anything I coulda done different. I have pics n all,,,,

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

After looking through your journal, there's a few things I would change for next time and possibly could salvage this grow if you haven't harvested everything already. First I'd get a proper measuring tool, so that you have something to go off of. Seems your nutes were your biggest issues this grow. second I'd try to prolong your drying to atleast 7 days, cause you mentioned the low RH, seems it could be quick drying your stuff and making it lose flavor/smell. Other than that it seems your on the right track, just keep trying to improve my friend. gl w/ your harvest.

Top Bottom