Noise level running a UC System??

• Thread starter SammyFarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SammyFarmer

SammyFarmer

Hi!

Im new at this board, found it when googling about under current systems after the guy in my local growshop told me about it and I am just amazed. The results some of the members here get is just crazy!! Kudos, respect or whatever, its a great source for inspiration and information. With that said...

...Im a patient under Prop 215 and I am currently running a 1000 watt soil setup in a tent. Just bought a second tent (4x8) plus 2x1000 W Hps and I will use it in my apartment and I really want to use under current system...

Im wondering, How much noise does a 8 bucket system make? Could you use this in a apartment and still live in it? Not in the same room but in one of the bedrooms for example ? Is there any tips or tricks to reduce the noise level? Im thinking of something underneath to cancel out vibrations made by pumps and moving water?

Let me know what u think about this. Im just about to order so input would be very appriceted!

Have a good day fellow growers!! :)

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
welcome to the farm!

it can be done bro - youll just have to make an isolation stand for the air pump, thats the noisiest part really

are you on the bottom floor apt where there's a cement slab?

C

crossouttheiis

The pump is really your only concern.i lived in an old apartment complex on the to level with lots of water movement. Lol above the manager no less

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

I never ran a UC but have ran many of hydro setups where noise is a issue. I have used the pink insulation and a crap load of duct tape on my air pumps to quiet them down. I also would use as long of tubing as I could for the intake on the air pump also. Or you can put your air pump in a box that is insulated with some holes. Or put up the egg crate stuff you use for bedding on the walls. Those are cheap ways to cut down the noise.
Back in the day we built a skate park in my basement. Even dug down about 4 feet in some spots for bowls. We ended up calling some of the hospitals in our area to see if they had any of the egg crate stuff they were going to throw away, and we were lucky cus hospitals do not keep them long. We used it for padding and to cut down the noise. It worked well for both.

SammyFarmer

SammyFarmer

First off, thanks for the replies, what did we do before internet?

But that´s great news, as long as there is a way to quite the air pump Im satisfied, I will probably figure something out, like the box Smokey503ski mentioned sounds like a good idea. I expect the vibrations being a big part of the issue ? Maybe a isolated box with some kind off thick padding (and holes) to both lower the direct sound and vibrations?

motherlode
I live on the top floor so no cement slab anywhere close, what where you thinking about ? How do you mean with a isolation stand? Like hanging the pump?

Some kind of suspension could probably work too.. hmm..

Another question, I see many people saying you will need a chiller for the waterresorvoir, is that a fact? Seems everybody is of different opinons regarding that matter?

Think I will put in a order for a 8 container system later on tonight, this shit is just off the hook!

Thanks again guys I really appriciacte it!!!

///Sammy

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I was gonna use some rubber matt on the floor under the crate and another piece on top the crate

that way no vibrations transfer to the floor

but hanging shit from bungees is an old stand by too lol

SammyFarmer

SammyFarmer

Yeah a rubber matt sounds like a good idea, Ill figure something out..

Im using a 4x8 tent for this grow, whould a UC6XL system be the one to go with or is a UC8 better? Because I dont think a 8XL will fit right?

Also the chiller... I do need it right?
And waterfilter, I need that too right?

Worked with hydro before but never this kind of setup so alot of questions..

Thanks for all answers so far!

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
if your tent is a true 4 x 8 it wont fit - some tents are actually bigger - ie: 4x4 can be 4.5' x 4.5' depending on the brand

I have the 8xl and its got 108" x 36" foot print

chiller for sure, r/o filter prolly a very good idea as well

SammyFarmer

SammyFarmer

thanks!

Allright, So the 6XL it is then.. and a filter.. and a chiller.. damn there is alot of buying involved with growing!

Does the chiller need to drain water somewhere?

Thanks

sky high

sky high

You will definitely need a chiller (and no, no drain...the water circulates from the UC through the chiller and back into your UC)

However...I would suggest installing enough pond liner to contain any disaster. Being on the top floor, containing a flood/leak would be my #1 priority/concern...far more than noise. A flood will bring the landlord...and possibly a few of his "friends".

good luck

s h

SammyFarmer

SammyFarmer

sky high: Yes you are more than right and I will adress that issue with as you say a pond liner... probably the only way to do it... But thanks for bringing that up, I will give that a extra thought!!

SammyFarmer

SammyFarmer

Having a really hard time taking the final decision of going UC or not .. it´s a lot of money .. a lot of extra stuff like the RC filter and Chiller that adds on top..
At the same time soil isnt really an option... do dirty to much stuff to throw .. That would be to build a system by myself but this just seems well proven and very effective..

Sorry just thinking loud...

St3ve

St3ve

at the end of the day its whats up to you mang. I myself will be running a UC system soon enough, but as with everything there are trade offs.

An alternative way for you could be a nice ebb n grow system. You would not need to worry about sound, a chiller, or soil.

R

RMCG

I think a DIY system will cost you about the same, probably leak a bit more, etc.

Plus its pretty damn nice to just carry 3 boxes in and set it up vs. lugging PVC, totes, etc.

Bite the bullet and pull the trigger.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
DIY is a bit cheaper, but unless you have the right tools leaks are gonna be a prob for sure, why risk that in a 3rd floor apt?

SammyFarmer

SammyFarmer

Hmm noo, I dont want to go DIY on a project like this. With DIY I ment like a simple drip system or something..

I love the fact that its a prefabricated "plug n play" type of system. Dont mind throwing a dollar or two to the guys that spend time and money developing it.. used to run my own bidniz and know how hard it is..

I got the money but I cant afford it haha.. think I will order tomorrow and eat... later?

Thanks for all the input!!!

O

OutLander

Hey, Sammy, where were you going to buy the UC system from? Because I wanted to say that I can tell you the guys at Current Culture have got better customer service than any other company out there. Period.

You can prove it to yourself before you even spend any money on one of these. Give them a call and ask for Daniel (you'll see his name in other parts of this forum, too) and tell him exactly the situation you talked about here. They will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know and will recommend the best custom setup for your specs, if necessary.

And that's before you spend money. Seriously. Give them a call. If you're about to do this anyway, you will NOT regret it.

M

Mr.Detroit

I second the guy who said bungee cords on page 1, I know on my 70l/min air pumps that kept them super quiet and there were no vibrations going through the house at all.

Top Bottom