Noob Budget-growing 2 Plants Needs Help (has Pics)

• Thread starter buttflap
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

buttflap

Hello,

I am growing 2 plants indoors for the first time, and I was hoping to get some help with my setup. I am both on a budget and quite ignorant when it comes to growing, as you will see from my photos. I don't expect much of a yield - I just used a couple seeds from some good weed a friend had, and do not even know if either of them are female yet. They also share a single pot. I know they should each have their own pots but I only had 1 and wanted better chances of getting a girl. I was just planning to kill either of them if they are male, and if I have to kill both I will try again.

The plants are about 4 weeks old, counting from the time they first emerged from the soil. I topped each of them yesterday to delay upward growth, and now I am learning how to FIM, so I hope to try that later on. I used fresh organic growing soil with a very light amount of organic fertilizer, and I have one 23 watt CFL and one 20 watt CFL firing on them for 18 hours per day. I water them once a day with unenhanced tap water. I made a little ghetto-shack to house them and reflect light, which I spray-painted white as best I could. Any advice on how to improve any aspect of my setup at a reasonable cost would be much appreciated.

I will go ahead and throw out a few questions that I already have and need help on:

As you can see in the pictures I have attached, some of the leaves near the top of the canopy are folding lengthwise alone their main vein. Is this a problem? I have read so far that it may be because there is too much heat, but the lights seem to be a good distance from the plants and I can hold my hand under the lights indefinitely without feeling discomfort. I have also read it could be over-watering, which sounds plausible to me given I am still getting used to how much water to give them. Any insight into why this is happening and what I should do?

Next question concerns lighting. I have a 10.5 Philips LED warm white 3000K bulb that I am planning to install in place of the 20 watt CFL when it comes time to go to the flowering stage. I am planning to leave the 23 watt CFL running alongside it 12 hours per day. Is this a good idea? Should I go ahead and install it now during the vegetative stage? Is the wattage enough? It says on the box that it is equal to a 17 watt CFLi and 85 watt GLS bulb.

Finally, I will be leaving town in June for 3 weeks. My girlfriend will watch the plants. I don't want them to enter the flowering stage until I return. Is it OK to keep these plants in the vegetative stage for that long (they would be roughly 11 weeks old when I plan to change their light cycle to initiate flowering)?

Thanks in advance for your help. Any constructive criticism is welcome.

DSC04067
DSC04050
DSC04064
Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard

Let them dry out a lot before you next water them, think about air flow, as air circulation is quite important at will help control any temp issues.
Personally I would have had them in separate cups or pots but ah well :)
The light cycle will be fine, they will continue growing while in Veg. Be aware if you are vegging till June and these are both female, they are going to be considerably taller and bushier

B

buttflap

Thanks for your reply. I plan to adjust the grow space as the plants grows, so I will allocate more room for them in time. Any thoughts on the LED light I have and when/if I should install it?

Top Bottom