Noob from the repressed states of america

• Thread starter GanjaGreenThumb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GanjaGreenThumb

Hi all, New to cannabis but certainly not new to plants, trees, and all that good stuff. Going to be doing my first grow soon and I'll be learning a lot from it. I'm trying to reduce the curve by learning as much as I can now. I've got a bud that's grow a lot and he's helping me out some, but he swears by cfl for everything and I'm reading that HPS is the best for flowering. anyhow I'm going to be doing a version of subcool's supersoil and I'll probably try out fox farms liquid nutes as well at some point. Right now i have a side by side fridge that i'm going to cut the middle out of and a upright freezer to use as my grow rooms. after I get going good I'll be using one for veg/growing clones and one for flowering, with a third area for mom's and new clones. that way I can be harvesting every month or so.

My big question right now has to do with ballast and what's the best? I've been looking up the Baddass from Advanced Nutrients that's supposed to be low freq. square wave. I know this is good from welding but I'm curious why everyone else isn't jumping on board? and starting out will anything do or do you have a minimum you suggest for a fridge grow? I'm looking at a 400w HPS with flouro veg. I'm interested in these switchable ballasts because it'd be nice to use 400w mh for veg and then switch to 600w or 1000w for flowering. I've read people who suggest this and others who said not to get them. I like the solis tek with the remote control and digital readout but again can't find good reviews.

The only other thing I'm confused about right now is if you're adding CO2 but you're also exchanging your air 2-3 times an hour for air flow and to stiffen the plants. How does the CO2 do you any good? Won't it just get blow out before the plant can use it? Especially since heat rises and CO2 falls. you should be blowing the heat out the top for efficiency but that's where you should also hang your CO2 for the most effect.....

Thanks for looking/reading and I'm hoping some of you can straighten my mess out.

Mogrow

Mogrow

welcome to the Farm GGT. Sounds like you have a grasp on how to get things done.
supersoil is a good choice, use as much local stuff as you can, get some local dirt, compost and EWC if you can. much better than the bagged stuff from Roots and Fox Farm.
i've had zero issues with my solis tec ballasts, would buy them again in a heartbeat. also HPS is the way to go, cfl is ok, but bigger and better with HPS>
hope your frig works out, something tells me you'll want more room after a grow or 2.
throw up a thread when u get started.
peace mogrow

genepool

genepool

hey GanjaGreenThumb, I've noticed a few ppl have had issues with over fed plants in super soil just something to keep in mind and in eye out for incase u have any issues early on. I'll let those who have experience with the ballasts and co2 questions u mentioned addres ur questions. But for sure HID bulbs are way better then cfls all day all the best with the grow friend!

G

GanjaGreenThumb

Genepool I'm going to use a little less nutes in the supersoil than is suggested. Found some local potting mix that's pretty good. Going to add in some peat and coconut coir. I'll add some nutes to that for the supersoil and then try it with the foxfarm liquid nutes and compare.

Mogrow thanks for the recommendation on SolisTec. I also have plans for an addition on my shop that will include a basement. half will be a water tank and the other part will be a concealed grow room. it'll be pretty sweet but costly.

Top Bottom